Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Poor Man's Rousch

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Zero4GT

nice car Mr. D!!! Thats gotta be a lot of fun just tto cruise in let alone race!
Old 05-12-2011, 06:02 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Lil Roush,
Incidently, do you know the difference in the Supercharger Kits sold by Roush as compared to what is found on a factory '07 & '08 Shelby GT 500. I considered buying a Shelby GT 500 (470 H.P.) that only had 2800 miles on it. It had more torque off the line, but frankly my supercharged 4.7 liter. (460 H.P.) pulled a little better from 25 MPH on. It had no advantage other than the Shelby badges.

Thanx

Dave

The TVS 2300 from Eaton is the same core blower on the upgraded Roush and the GT 500, it's just set up for the different heads.

Roush also sells the smaller Eaton M90 based set up....which is what is on the OP's car.

Last edited by LilRoush; 05-13-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

I'd like to have a GT 500 with the 5.4 engine, but I'm not sure they are worth the extra money for me personally. Being an "Old Timer" I like the '08 body style better and it's hard to use the 460 HP I have now. Besides, the dealers in my area have very few GT 500's and they are not dealing on them at all. I looked at a fairly average GT 500 the other day that the stealership wanted $63K for. The $32K I have in my car makes it a less expensive toy....... since it's an '08 I still haven't gotten 9K miles on it! But I sold my '56 Chevy Handyman Wagon so maybe it will get more driving now!

Now.... if Ford would warrantee the Roush Supercharger on a 5.0L I'd be tempted, but it would likely kill GT 500 sales if they did. The local Roush shop says the 5.0 with a Roush Supercharger is a beast! I think it will eat Ford's Boss 302 setups for lunch and be nicer to drive around town.

Last night at a local cruise a friendly guy was impressed with my car. He smiled and jokingly asked me if owning the car made me a Roushketter? I told him if a "Roushketter" is a person with a big, stupid smile on his face listening to the whine of a supercharger as he flys down the road... then sign me up! https://mustangforums.com/forum/imag...ies/tongue.gif

Last edited by Mr. D; 05-13-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:40 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Now.... if Ford would warrantee the Roush Supercharger on a 5.0L I'd be tempted, but it would likely kill GT 500 sales if they did. The local Roush shop says the 5.0 with a Roush Supercharger is a beast! I think it will eat Ford's Boss 302 setups for lunch and be nicer to drive around town.

Why not just sell, and buy a Roushcharged 5.0L? Get it done at an authorized Roush dealer and it's covered.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:03 AM
FloRida Livin
Former Sponsor

Am I the only one who has never heard of a Roushketter?
Old 05-14-2011, 10:10 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I've been active in the Roush community for 10 years and this was the first place (and only place) I've seen it used.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
I've been active in the Roush community for 10 years and this was the first place (and only place) I've seen it used.
As to being called a Roushketter, it was meant as a friendly joke and that's how I took it ..... but I'm honored by the term. It means I've got a cool looking 460 HP supercharged Mustang for $32K. Beats what Ford, Shelby or other high dollar after market outfits would do for me! Roush makes a high markup on their products, but at least they sell them in a way you can add them to your car as "YOU" want rather than in $10 or $20K packages bundled to increase their profits. SO.... let's hear it!

R-O-U... S & H....K-E-T-T-ER! JACKIE ROUSH...JACKIE ROUSH

My Roush dealer said the Supercharger setup for the 5.0 is not supported by Ford as of yet and if I have a driveline problem whether it is covered is up to the "fairness" of Ford. My local Ford dealer wouldn't repair an electric seat in warrantee if it saw any after market add-ons. Other dealers will likely be more reasonable, but my local dealer is a _ _ _ _ ! (Choose you own letters!) A 5.0L with a Roush Supercharger seems to be the most bang for the buck. Being able to say, but... but... mine is an original "XXXX" is not worth another $15k out of my pocket. Shelby has enough money already! I just want a car for how it looks and drives rather than showing people my Shelby number plate.

If the supercharger on the 5.0 was backed by Ford, it would be hard to spend the extra money for a GT 500 unless you need to have a Shelby. Frankly I'm not much interested in spending another $15K just to say I have Shelby's registration number on my car. When I went to Shelby in Las Vegas they were very snooty and rigid about what they would do to my car. I drove a car with their $20K package and it road very rough and I didn't like the exterior looks as well as the stock look. (To each his own!) It was those who buy Corvette ZR1's and add on body kits that make them look different! To each his own! I like them as built! That's why they make different flavors of ice cream. At Shelby they had packages that had things I wouldn't want on my car for "free" and it was "take it or leave it at $20K"! I didn't want to road race the car on mountain curves, which in my opinion is "a major accident/death waiting to happen". I didn't want to race the car on the track. I just wanted straight line power like muscle cars of old. My thing is getting from Zero to highway speed in 5 seconds and then backing off and driving like an actual adult, rather than road racing and hitting a stalled truck at 80 MPH on a curve on a mountain road! There are better cars for taking high speed curves than a Mustang. So I left their $20K package... & bought a Roush Supercharger & an after market Shelby Vinyl Racing Stripes Kit! How disgusting, but then I can accept allot of disgusting for having my car for $32K! Shelby doesn't pay my bills!

Incidently, when I was at Shelby, Las Vegas on the way to go varmint hunting in Utah, I pulled a gag on the salesman. I pulled out a roll of bills so he could see it in my hand and whispered, "What would it cost for one of those little Shelby Number Plates that go under the hood?" You should have seen the shocked look on his face? I thought it was a little funny, but he looked like a guard at Buckingham Palace that was just asked if the Queen wanted to go to a Biker's Party and enter in a Wet T-Shirt contest! I quickly told him that I was just kidding before he had a stroke or called security! I'm so, so sorry...but I've always been like this!

Last edited by Mr. D; 05-15-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 05-15-2011, 07:15 PM
FloRida Livin
Former Sponsor

Mr. D- you are cracking me up man...Funny stuff.
And after all is said- sound like I am a Roushketter!
I look forward to doing some speed enhancing modifications to my Roush, but right now I am loving it the way it is I grew up in Mo Town- so I can appreciate your love of muscle cars of old- and that is what appealed to me about my particular Roush kit.
Have you ever been to the Dream Cruise in Metro Detroit?

OH- also, come visit our new contest launch for "Best Topless Ad"... its located under GENERAL FORUM > NEW MEMBERS > Vert Lovers Unite on page 3 at the bottom...
Look forward to getting input!

Last edited by FloRida Livin; 05-15-2011 at 07:18 PM. Reason: forgot to ad necessary info
Old 05-15-2011, 09:18 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

It's "Roushketeers"!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:29 AM
FloRida Livin
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by PolkThug
It's "Roushketeers"!
PolkThug-
Thanks for the clarification! What a differance a letter makes, eh?
Its all making perfect sence now

Quick Reply: Poor Man's Rousch