Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Fake or "clone" Saleens? Real Saleen Owners?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:21 AM
Jim D.
3rd Gear Member

We welcome all Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts -- including those with "fake" or "tribute" Saleens -- as long as they don't try to pass their cars off as Saleens. We actually have several members with tribute Saleens.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:45 PM
black2010
2nd Gear Member

It's your car so do what you want.

I couldn't afford a real 2010 Roush 427R as the dealerships around here wanted $50K+ for them. I bought a GT premium and after 2 years have built my own version of the 427R and saved a killing. Body kit, suspension, shifter, exhaust and supercharger. I put the black chrome R logo badges on the sides (real roush have chrome ones) and the "R" logo on my FAUX gas cap.

If anyone ever ask or starts talking about the car I tell them straight up it's not a real Roush. I only put the "R" logo's on the car to show my support towards Roush as if I wanted to pose I would have put a "stage_" or "427R" badge on. Those that don't know better think it's real but that is their issue not me trying to fake them out.

As I see it the only time it's an issue is when you try to market the car as something it isn't.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:50 PM
black2010
2nd Gear Member

One last point that I think a lot of people forget is that a Saleen, Roush and Steeda is, whether you want to believe it or not, a stock GT that has been moddifed. If someone does a FULL conversion (everything done), their is no difference between the two cars other than some badges and resale value. A real one will be worth more but a full conversion is just as strong of a car performance wise as the real thing.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:23 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by black2010
One last point that I think a lot of people forget is that a Saleen, Roush and Steeda is, whether you want to believe it or not, a stock GT that has been moddifed. If someone does a FULL conversion (everything done), their is no difference between the two cars other than some badges and resale value. A real one will be worth more but a full conversion is just as strong of a car performance wise as the real thing.
Well said. . After all, as much as I like Mr. Roush, Mr. Saleen and Mr. Shelby, it's still the shops employees working on them. If you're qualified to do the work and can get the authentic parts, you can have your desired car for a lot less money.

Just don't try to resell the car as a real model, or use someone else's name for profit.

Last edited by socalwrench; 04-06-2011 at 02:25 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

I think it's fine to use badges as long as they are the correct badges for the car. If someone makes a faleen and doesn't supercharge it I don't want to see supercharged badges. I have seen a new edge here in town and it does not have a saleen body kit... but has supercharged saleen badges with V6 emblems under them. It has duel exhaust but I think it's a v6. To each his own because it's a clean car but those badges bug me!
Old 04-08-2011, 11:12 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by black2010

Serial number and quality of the actual build come to mind as major differences. I'm happy my cars came from Roush directly and not slapped together by a local mechanic.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:44 PM
black2010
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Serial number and quality of the actual build come to mind as major differences. I'm happy my cars came from Roush directly and not slapped together by a local mechanic.
So what you are saying is that a Roush mechanic is better than any other certified mechanic? Would you rather have your car built by a Roush Mechanic or Chip Foose, West Coast Customs, Unique Auto sport? Obviously, I’m going overboard here but you get my point that a Roush mechanic is not necessarily the best, they are just good at what they do. Really, we’re not talking rocket science with these cars, it's a simple skill set with the exception of tuning so I hate to tell you but the quality is identical if you follow the same procedures of which I bet Roush himself couldn't tell the difference (except serial badges) between a Roush built at Roush and a GT that was fully converted at a competent speed shop. Another example, look at a full out frame off restoration on a classic GT500, Camaro SS, Corvette, etc... They aren't built anymore by the factory but can be made to be exactly like one off the line. This of course assumes you are using genuine parts and not splashes.

The only difference is the serial numbers. So you have to ask, is that worth the extra coin you are going to pay for the same performance and quality (if done right)? Some say yes and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that but others say no. Do I wish my car was a real Roush, yes. Am I glad I spent $15K less overall from a real Roush, yes. Do I have the resale value of a real Roush, No but then I didn't drop the coin upfront either. But to say a real Roush's quality is better, I think not....
Old 04-14-2011, 04:59 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Yes, I'd rather have a Roush cert mechanic with a Roush warrenty build my Roush. And I wasn't talking Chip Foose (though I doubt he builds Roush or Saleen clones LOL)... I was talking about a local shop vs someone specifically trained and familiar with the parts.

And there IS a HUGE quality difference, and a dozen other difference in the real thing. You just don't see the added value, and that is your choice.

Funny, I could tell you owned a clone by your post prior to reading your sig.

Last edited by LilRoush; 04-14-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Lokota
2nd Gear Member

I would rather take a high end stang and make it look like a v6
Rather than making a v6 look like a high end
Old 04-14-2011, 05:30 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lokota
I would rather take a high end stang and make it look like a v6
Rather than making a v6 look like a high end
If this was aimed at me, Roush made V6 cars. Saleen even kicked out 6 or 7 V6 cars back in the late 90's.

Quick Reply: Fake or "clone" Saleens? Real Saleen Owners?