Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Saleen SC or E as a regular driver?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:48 AM
calshamus

Default Saleen SC or E as a regular driver?

So I've read a lot about the issues with the 05-06 Saleen SC/E, but other than a few lemons they seem to be good to go with mainly minor issues (IMHO). All cars have problems. I'm mechanically inclined, have my own lift, have worked on my own cars for years (primarily 50's-70's classics - so their will be a learning curve but what ever). Anyway I am considering buying a Saleen. I want to use this as a regular driver/daily driver, say 7000 miles per year. I wanted to get some feedback before I made the jump. Here are some of my questions below, but if you drive a SC/E car regularly I'd love your input on your experience driving these cars regularly. And feel free to chime in on things I haven't considered WRT to the SC/E cars.

1. What's your avg gas mileage with your SC/E - mainly highway or town? Be realistic and let me know if you're able to keep your foot out of it, if not, what are you really getting for mileage.
2. Is the car reliable? Have you been stranded?
3. Is the car fun to drive on a regular basis? Stiff suspension? SC whine too loud, able to listen to music while cruisin, seat comfort, etc.
4. Insurance premiums really high? (I'm 43 with good record,so...)
5. Comfortable ride on a 2-3-4 hour trip?
6. Is the Extreme too radical to drive regularly?
7. Can you keep tires on the car? haha

Just trying to get a sense what the experience would be like running one of these every day. I live in NorCal so I get good weather mostly, except occasional rain. It does get over 100 here in the summer - wondering about running the SC/E in 100 weather and getting stuck in traffic, etc.

Also I saw the information on how to check whether it's a real Saleen or not. What's the best method to search/check on weather it's a problem Saleen or not.

Thanks for your feedback on this and helping me with my decision.

Cal

Last edited by calshamus; 04-27-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:45 PM
ctann
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by calshamus
1. What's your avg gas mileage with your SC/E
My 2008 S302E is not a daily driver, but I get around 14.5-15 mpg (according to the trip computer). I do have a pretty heavy foot mind you...

2. Is the car reliable? Have you been stranded?
Only 4k miles on her, but never had an issue

3. Is the car fun to drive on a regular basis? Stiff suspension? SC whine too loud, able to listen to music while cruisin, seat comfort, etc.
Oh YES! I *love* to drive my extreme...

4. Insurance premiums really high? (I'm 43 with good record,so...)
I can't comment here, mine is not a daily driver, and is insured under a collector policy. Most comments I have heard is that insurance is pretty much the same as a GT, but you need to stress the added "Saleen Package"

5. Comfortable ride on a 2-3-4 hour trip?
Drove solo to LA (from San Jose), and had an absolute blast. I had a rental hybrid on the way back, man that was a hard change! The only issue with a long drive is that the range is only about 200 miles on a tank of gas.

6. Is the Extreme too radical to drive regularly?
I don't think so, but "your mileage will vary"

7. Can you keep tires on the car? haha
Have done so far

It does get over 100 here in the summer - wondering about running the SC/E in 100 weather and getting stuck in traffic, etc.
It bumps the intercooler temps up, but other than that I haven't seen a problem. I even have the glass roof on my extreme, but just need to crank the AC up a little on the hotter days...

Also I saw the information on how to check whether it's a real Saleen or not. What's the best method to search/check on weather it's a problem Saleen or not.
email customerservice@saleen.com with the VIN and bumper #. The SPV name may be changing, but they are still verifying Saleen vehicles...

All the best,

Chris.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:48 PM
calshamus

Thanks for the information...very helpful.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:52 AM
cdmsaleen

I have a 2006 S/C that has been highly modified that I use as my DD. It has approx. 45,000 miles and not one mechanical failure. It is meticulously maintained and rarely raced. To answer your questions......
1. Ave. 15-16 mpg driving 60 miles/day on both streets & highway.
2. NO mechanical problems at all but the car is serviced very regularly.
3. I bought it new in 2006 with the full intent of it being my DD. I like the loudness, dig the S/C whine & generally listen to my music loud anyway. For me, I grew up with sports cars and like to "feel the road" sensations.
4. My Mercury Ins. premium is $405 per quarter (53 yrs. old with no tickets since 1976).
5. No problem for me at least (I'm 5'10" & 205 lbs).
6. My car is 507rwhp auto trans. & drives great in all types of driving.
7. Still have the original front tires & replaced the rears at 31,000 miles.
I love the car, the driving experience and have no regrets using it as a DD. Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:02 PM
cameronc08
1st Gear Member

I drive my '06 saleen with a scenic glass roof and the 550hp kit everyday. Put 25-30k miles on it in about a year. Only problem I've ever had with the car is a harness (40 dollars) go bad. Other than that flawless. And I drive the sh** out of it. As far as trips, I've driven to San fransisco/nappa valley from LA on several occasions with no issues, however I'm also 23 years old so I could drive all day, every day without having an issue. Manual, running about 15mpg freeway.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:56 PM
AL_TOON
2nd Gear Member

I had a saleen extreme e.

dont drive it everyday. I did for 1 year and I hated it. it loses it "fun" when yo go to the airport in it etc

I am currently driving a series 7 bmw right now and its a dream to drive around DAILY. but a saleen would be a fun weekend/part time car
Old 05-19-2011, 06:41 AM
cameronc08
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AL_TOON
I had a saleen extreme e.

dont drive it everyday. I did for 1 year and I hated it. it loses it "fun" when yo go to the airport in it etc

I am currently driving a series 7 bmw right now and its a dream to drive around DAILY. but a saleen would be a fun weekend/part time car
Eh, to each his own. Ive had mine for over a year, with the 550 kit and glass roof and I drive it every single day and have yet to get tired of it. I love it like the day I bought it still! That's in the very occasional SoCal traffic as well. But everyone is different!