Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Just purchased 2007 Blackjack

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 04:44 PM
dkr77

Default Just purchased 2007 Blackjack

I have been looking at Mustangs (Cobras, Saleen etc.) for the last 8 or 9 months and finally purchased a used 2007 Roush Blackjack. I absolutely love the look and feel of the car. It has plenty of power and handles great but I'm curious about a few things and looking for input from experienced people.

1-The car is loud on the inside and the dealer I bought it from suggested I may look into putting a softer tire on it to deaden some of the road noise. Anyone else have this trouble? Any suggestions on a good tire?

2-I drove the car 600 miles home and apparently a rock damaged the cooling unit to the supercharger. The unit sits in the opening of the fascia and is exposed to road debris. Is there a shield or grill made to protect the cooling unit yet still allow air flow to it?

Any other suggestions or tips on more HP or anything regarding upkeep of this machine would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Dan
Old 06-08-2011, 05:46 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Congrats on the buy.
What tires are on it? Is it tire noise you are hearing or is it just poor road surface?
Roush sells a mesh grill to cover the lower gap in the front. Billit grills will also help protect the heat exchanger as well.
As for mods... depends on what you want. A quick pulley swap will up the hp very quickly. FNSweet.com will also have a lot of pointers for you in relation to what others have done with their BJs.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:54 PM
07_427R
2nd Gear Member

First congrats on the new Blackjack!!! First year and my favorite although any Blackjack would suit me.

1. They make 2005-09 Mustang Roush Front Lower Grill Kits. Link:

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...t---Satin.html

Also a guy over on the Roush's FNSweet forum (screenname "FordFan") makes these protective grills also. You might PM him to get so info.

2. The tires on the car, depending if they are original should be of a softer compound and really shouldn't be making alot of interior noise. Not sure of their condition or what exhaust you have on the car.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:59 PM
dkr77

Thanks so much guys! The car has BF Goodrich G-Force tires on it at the present time and they don't seem to be as loud on a black top surface but when we drove through Missouri on concrete interstate roads the inside of the car was quite loud. In fact it drowned out the radio at a normal volume. I really like this car though!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't go softer than those tires. They won't last long on a street car.
Is the exhaust a factor for interior noise for you as well?
Old 06-08-2011, 07:06 PM
dkr77

Originally Posted by 07_427R
First congrats on the new Blackjack!!! First year and my favorite although any Blackjack would suit me.

1. They make 2005-09 Mustang Roush Front Lower Grill Kits. Link:

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...t---Satin.html

Also a guy over on the Roush's FNSweet forum (screenname "FordFan") makes these protective grills also. You might PM him to get so info.

2. The tires on the car, depending if they are original should be of a softer compound and really shouldn't be making alot of interior noise. Not sure of their condition or what exhaust you have on the car.
Thanks for the link. As far as I can tell the exhaust is original. The car has 38K on it and doesn't seem excessively loud when you stand behind it.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:52 AM
SMOKE
2nd Gear Member

First, congrats on the purchase......love the BlackJacks!! Great concept and sweet looking ride.
As for the road noise, it likely has to do with road type. I'm fairly new to the mid west (near Chicago Il ) and coming up from Atlanta, GA I've noticed that certain roads/interstates are flat out loud sounding.
As LilRoush suggested, I wouldn't go for softer compound as the torque available on this model will 'wear' quickly. Of course the right pedal has something to do with that.
The only alternative would be to add sound dampening material to the car.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Red_Devil
Official Sponsor For Whiteline USA

Hey Dan!
If you have broken your heat exchanger already, then now is a good time to upgrade it to something that will help fight against heat soak. The Blackjack is a great car and there are plenty of places to start upgrading for power and performance. You could start with a higher flowing intake, smaller pulley, and a better fuel system to get some more power out of it, but really the sky is the limit.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I would be more than happy to answer them for you!
Old 06-14-2011, 04:23 PM
dkr77

Smoke, Thanks for the info. I had an exhaust hanger loose which was making some noise in the back. It's not as bad now.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:35 PM
dkr77

Originally Posted by Red_Devil
Hey Dan!
If you have broken your heat exchanger already, then now is a good time to upgrade it to something that will help fight against heat soak. The Blackjack is a great car and there are plenty of places to start upgrading for power and performance. You could start with a higher flowing intake, smaller pulley, and a better fuel system to get some more power out of it, but really the sky is the limit.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I would be more than happy to answer them for you!
RD-I appreciate your response and kind offering. A local mechanic fixed the hole for me and the price was very reasonable. I have ordered a grill for the fascia from Stage 3 and expect it to arrive any daay now.

From what I've read it's unwise to exceed the 500 RWHP mark on these 4.6 motors. So I would most likely start at the least expensive place and work my way up until I was satisfied with the HP output.

Is there a certain type of CAI you recommend? And next would most likely be a pulley but how does that affect the cars reliability and gas mileage? And when all said and done would I be more satisfied with leaving it stock and maybe trading for a Roush 5.0 in the next couple of years?

What do the Roush collectors think of a Black-Jack which has been "tinkered" with? Could it possibly lessen the value of the vehicle?

BTW-This car is an absolute blast to drive! And just about every time I stop somewhere people make a positive comment about it. Regards, Dan

Last edited by dkr77; 06-14-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Just purchased 2007 Blackjack