Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Saleen Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 04:54 AM
calitradclimber

Default Saleen Upgrade Questions

I am new here to the website but have a few questions which I could really use some help on. First, the car has 6300 miles on it and so far we have had to do the following:

Replaced 1 front rim due to dealer scratch.
Replaced both pads, rotor, and caliper on left rear side.
Replaced both pads, rotor, and caliper on right rear side.
Replaced both front brake hoses with steel braided ones.
Replaced the fuel pump due to error codes.
Pulled main computer and overnighted to Saleen in Irvine for inspection.
Replaced main computer back from Irvine, checked all codes.
Detailed and hand waxed using a waxing "bar" to remove "fallout".
Put back on main diag computer to check all codes one last time.
Saleen Tech inspected and road tested for 10 miles.
Replaced all spark plugs / oil change / grease bushings.

I opted for the Pirelli Upgrade and the rears are completely gone and the front left has a major bulge popping out on it. The clutch started slipping and before I repaired it something in it broke and the car will not move, I am not sure what snapped.

What I am needing information about is what should I do about the Tremec, should I replace it or repair the one that's in it? If I should replace the internals and want to put the good stuff in it what kit and where should I purchase it?? Twin Disc or what?? I want to have a very beefy 5 speed when we are done here.

Also I want to add a package to it like this 2005-09 Mustang Saleen 435HP To 500HP Shaker Supercharger Upgrade Kit like the following: http://www.stage3motorsports.com/cat...rger_upgrades/

One more thing, which tires would you go with the originals or switch to something else and if what which ones and why. Also want to add an air induction kit to it, so suggestions there would be appreciated, thanks for responding, really appreciate it.

I would like to see this car do a top end of about 175 mph, with possible low 11s or higher 10s in the quarter. It was clocked at 11.635 one time.

Thanks for your time and attention.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Red_Devil
Official Sponsor For Whiteline USA

You're gonna need a lot of work to get what you want. You will likely need to get a built motor and a new trans that can handle the power. Tremec TR6060 is probably the best best, you would spend much less money getting a bullet proof 6 speed out of the box than trying to build a better 5 speed. The transmission is all stock ford as is the clutch, I dont get the impression you are abusing the car so it is hard to say what is wrong.

If you opt for the Supershaker upgrade it is it's own air intake, you will not need a cold air upgrade. I would be more than happy to give you some suggestions!
Old 07-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Jim D.
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like quite a few nagging but not insurmountable issues as Jared said.

As he also said, the transmission and clutch is stock Ford, so a Ford dealer or any reputable driveline shop should be able to assist with the clutch and transmission issue.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:15 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

To me, hearing things like bald rear tires at 6300 miles, slipping clutch, worn out brakes and having 11 second time slips tend to lend itself to the bar being pushed through the paces pretty well.

If the 'stock' stuff breaks, I'd use that time to upgrade to something that will take what you are doing with the car.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:11 PM
calitradclimber

Default Centerforce

Thanks to those who responded to my questions although I still have a couple that I hope someone can help me with. Let's say that I keep the stock 4.6L setup with the Supercharger just the way it is, will it be dangerous (as in engine failure) if I try to get a kit to change pully, belt, injector, and whatever else would be needed to get more boost out of it?? I know that a cold air intake kit with a tune is supposed to give another 30hp or so. What can be done to increase RRHP besides the cold air intake? Is it safe to retune the car and raise the rev limiters for higher RPMs (say 7500) and increase the top speed from 152 to say 170?? And what about the tires? Any recommendations here??

As for the stock clutch in the Tremec that's toast now, the images tell the story. Due to some semi abuse I put on the car the OME failed and it scored the flywheel before it completely broke up and disintegrated bringing the car to a complete halt. We are replacing everything with the following: Centerforce Light Metal clutch disk and pressure plate # LM611679, Centerforce flywheel # 700210, and stock pilot & release bearings, and a new slave cylinder.

Total price for labor is $374.00
Centerforce Clutch kit & Flywheel: $1286.82 that's out the door pricing, and it is a good price from Tennessee Speed Sport in Rivergate.
Slave cylinder is $226.00
Bearings will be about $50.00
Grand Total = $1,936.82
-------------------------------------------------
I think those are pretty fare prices, I tried to beat them on the web and it wasn't out there at these prices. The shop is having to baby sit the car for over a week while centerforce actually makes the plates and gets them ground shipped to me next week. I hope this makes for an even better experience off the line.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Red_Devil
Official Sponsor For Whiteline USA

You are not going to be able to raise the RPMs, its just not that simple as changing the tune, its the way your engine is built. You mentioned the 435-500hp upgrade kit in your first post. Does your car have the standard 435 or the 475 kit? If you upgrade to the 475 kit and add the Saleen Extreme Air kit I think you will be very happy and it will not effect the life of the engine. That will move you to a smaller pulley and bigger injectors, MAF etc.

Beyond that point you would need to upgrade your fuel pumps but you could simple move to a smaller pulley. For stock bottom end i wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 3.6 or 3.4. You could also add some long tube headers and mid pipe to help the car breath and it should help with some HP/Torque numbers.

I really like the Pirellis the car comes with, and I dont think changing to anything else is gonna see a big difference to you. If you are having problems hooking up a better option is to upgrade the rear control arms and add relocation brackets.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:45 PM
calitradclimber

Thumbs up Centerforce Installed

Saturday July 23 2011

Well, the install of the Centerforce assembly is completed and everything is working perfect. I didn't even have to go back to the shop to bleed the lines, the pedal came back up on it's own. FYI, the shop that did the work is "The Transmission Store" 1203 Dickerson Pike, Nashville TN 37207, 615-227-6807, been in business for 30 years.

I worked closely with the manager named Dean Sewell (he actually did the install), he has been building clutches for 30+ years and was very confident and knowledgeable. To recap we replaced and installed the following: Centerforce LMC (Light Metal Clutch) pressure plate, CF clutch plate, CF flywheel, Ford pilot bearing, Ford release bearing, Ford slave cylinder, drain and refill gear box with proper synthetic fluid. Total cost was $2,143.95 and only $508.00 of that was labor charge which I thought was a pretty good deal. They even "baby sat" the car for a total of about 9 days while Centerforce actually machined and shipped the parts, every day they took the time to push the car inside the shop then push it outside during working hours so it was fully protected with beefed up security doors and alarms. They did this even though they have a 10 foot high razor wire fence around the outside parking area, I mean they really cared about the car and it's safety which scored big points in my book.

When I picked up the car Dean made sure to tell me "don't go home and freak out if it needs adjusting, just bring it back and we will bleed the lines and or adjust anything to make it work correctly". Well, he knew what he was talking about because the pedal was very floppy and went to the floor and just barely had room to change gears. Then after driving it for about 15 miles the pedal came back up on it's own, I called him and he said great, "if you need anything don't hesitate to bring it back over because we will fix it no matter what the problem might be". I mean how often do you get that kind of service in today's world? I went hunting for a "transmission guru" and I found exactly that. I came to find out that they build comp clutches all the time. The new clutch feels exactly like the original stock one, no rattles, no knocking, no pinging, no vibrations, just very smooth quiet operation. Of course I have to do the damn break in which is 500 miles in traffic driving. It does feel like there is excellent clamping force and there is less mass to rotate because it is lighter than the stock clutch. Centerforce said this should hold up well at the track and on the street, because I didn't go with the aluminum fly wheel.

The car has the 435hp package from Saleen to answer Red_Devil and I appreciate everyone who answered my questions and made comments. I think 500hp is as about as much strain as I want to put on the stock 4.6L 3V engine, so far all is well. Thanks everyone. Now on to new tires, extreme air kit, and so forth. Eventually I want to either rebuild this engine or purchase another "built" one because I would like to shoot for about 600hp but that is off in the future, for now I just enjoy driving this the way it is and I know there are Saleen bashers out there but there are many more articles which praise Saleen out on the web than there are the haters. When ever I take the car to a show, or a speed shop, people have only very good things to say about it and Saleen in general.

Originally Posted by Red_Devil
You are not going to be able to raise the RPMs, its just not that simple as changing the tune, its the way your engine is built. You mentioned the 435-500hp upgrade kit in your first post. Does your car have the standard 435 or the 475 kit? If you upgrade to the 475 kit and add the Saleen Extreme Air kit I think you will be very happy and it will not effect the life of the engine. That will move you to a smaller pulley and bigger injectors, MAF etc.

Beyond that point you would need to upgrade your fuel pumps but you could simple move to a smaller pulley. For stock bottom end i wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 3.6 or 3.4. You could also add some long tube headers and mid pipe to help the car breath and it should help with some HP/Torque numbers.

I really like the Pirellis the car comes with, and I dont think changing to anything else is gonna see a big difference to you. If you are having problems hooking up a better option is to upgrade the rear control arms and add relocation brackets.