Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Feedback on Winter Upgrades to 04 SC Saleen.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 07:53 AM
04#231

Default Feedback on Winter Upgrades to 04 SC Saleen.

Hey folks it has been awhile since I posted here, funny how life gets in the way sometimes. Anyway I am planning to do some major upgrades to my 04 SC Saleen this winter and here is the list of things I am thinking for the car with pricing I have found. Id like to get your feedback on what I am looking at doing and see if I may be missing anything. I will not be doing a bigger blower and will stay with the Saleen series 4. I don't plan on changing cams or heads either. I have a specific budget I am working with and can't exceed that. Positive and constructive feedback is apprecaited. Thanks
Car already has JLT CAI, Accufab 75mmtb, SVT Focus Fuel Pump, 3:73 Gears, MGW Shifter.

Winter changes:
Aluminum Long block with all Internals. Buy Ford Racing... $3950....

39lb cobra fuel injectors........................Buy Bord Racing...$239......

90 MM mass air Lightening...................BFR.................. ....$90.00

Catted X Pipe by Bassani....................Haney Motorsports $525.00..may need to look elsewhere for this.

Ford Racing Coil Covers for Cobra-.Lightening Performance...........$329.00
**if I don't need to replace valve covers I like how these look under the hood*** Not sure what a Coil cover is either?

Intercooler for Supercharger...21st Century Performance .com $899... Chicane equivalent.
LFP Radiator.......................................$41 9.00
LFP Heat Exchanger.............................$309.95

Cobra Brake package 4 piston Brembos with all hardware...........$1259.00
Aluminum Drive shaft............................................. ....$319.00
CDC Light Bar .................................................. .......$429.00
Paint Lower portion of front valence and inside of rear brake ducts......................$250??

Gaskets and Head Bolt Kits................................$?

labor............................................. .................$?

Thanks again.
Peace.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Not sure you need rear brake cooling ducts. Do you plan on open-tracking your car? If you do, you will need some pretty sugnificant brake upgrades.

If your NOT doing open track, you can save LOTS of $$$ by just upgrading your pads/fluid/SS lines of your OEM rotors/calipers.

Jazzer
Old 09-23-2011, 01:50 PM
04#231

Thanks Jazzer, I am not tracking th car for now but I would certainly like to get out there once it is done. I really like the Brembo Kit for the Cobra/and GT's for 2004 and my Saleen came with the stock brakes I will probably never use the full capability of a 4 piston Caliper but since I am in there and the guy doing the work knows what he is doing I will probably go with it. Again we will see. I am in the planning out process right now.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

A couple thoughts on braking...

You NEVER know when you will need the full capacity of your braking capabilities, until it may be too late You SHOULDN'T need them, but one just never knows. For approx. $350, one can have just as good a stopping power as a set of 13" 4-pot Brembo's on 100% OEM calipers/rotos. The difference being a bit less cooling efficientcy and not quite the strength of caliper. Big brakes are cool and have them myself, but with proper pads, high-temp brake fluid and SS lines at all four corners, one can stop 100% as well as the Brembo's, just will get heat soaked a little sooner (not much though!)

As for rear brakes, just go with good pads and don't bother with any other type of upgrade, unless you are gonna do some SERIOUS mods to your suspension and braking system. The rear-brake bias on the 4-link SN95 is just not very good and even replacing the prop valve, if you even considered it, is a waste of time

If you are looking for performance, the very first place to start it tires and then brakes. Then I recommend some suspension upgrades (yes.... even the Saleen can use a little help). You already have some go-go juice, so just work on the "driver-mod", as this should forever be a work in progress for all of us.... it is for me

Jazzer
Old 09-24-2011, 07:50 AM
04#231

I like your ideas on the brakes Jazzer, I may go that route now that the cost for the engine build up is creeping up into "holy crap" territory for me. So your saying stock calipers, add Stainless Steel brake lines to all four corners, better pads and better brake fluid I will be able to stop as well as the 13 inch/4 piston front Brembos?
Old 09-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Yes....

The only real difference is a bit of extra cooling with larger rotors and a bit less flex of calipers. This will be no issue at all on the street, but would become one at some point, if you were to be on the open-track for extended periods of time. There is a small mechanical advantage to a larger rotor, in terms of less peddle pressure to stop, but is only slight and wouldn't be able to tell without a side by side comparison of identical cars in every other way.

Read up on my Brakes Upgrade and suspension threads, as your going this direction

Jazzer
Old 09-26-2011, 06:12 PM
HillbankMotorsports
Former Sponsor

Generally when upgrading the injectors for 99-04 you go with 42lb
Old 09-28-2011, 09:54 AM
04#231

Thanks Hillbanks, I was looking for the 42lbers on Buy Fored racing .com but did not find them, but as I get closer to the build I will look for them on other sites. Jared didn't you work for Haney? I think I bought some parts from you a few years ago for my car. Looking at my list of parts required can you offer any suggestions and do you carry what I am looking for?
Old 09-30-2011, 10:39 AM
HillbankMotorsports
Former Sponsor

I worked for Saleen actually.

I see some parts that you are putting together but no where in there did you mention a smaller pulley. Unless you are upping the boost most of your mods wont yeild any benefit. You could get an extreme pulley from an 05+ and have the back end machined to the proper offset (what I did), run a JDM undercrank pulley, 42lb injectors. Depending where you are located (laws etc) id reccomend a set of American Racing headers with their highflow cats which will open it up quite abit. The cost of them is high but you get what you pay for.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:24 PM
saleen556
1st Gear Member

Nice list of mods your thinking about. I do have one question. Why would you buy a new long block (forged internals i assume) and not consider upgrading the blower?

Quick Reply: Feedback on Winter Upgrades to 04 SC Saleen.