Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Cardinale Engineering Saleen S281 ABS Rear Difussor Review

Old 07-28-2012, 03:50 AM
Red6
2nd Gear Member

Default Cardinale Engineering Saleen S281 ABS Rear Diffuser Review: Thumbs Down

I purchased an Rear ABS rear Diffuser by Cardinale Engineering for my 2005 Saleen and I like to share my experience with the install and the problems that I had with it.

Well I bought the diffuser after I purchased the front ABS splitter (which I was impressed with). I sold my wheels and thought I would put money back into my car by getting the ABS rear piece.

I bought it on a Memorial Day sale that David had on the SOEC forums. I purchased the mesh screen along with the Diffuser that surrounds the center exhaust. I received my rear diffuser and Mesh in the a few days after I paypaled the owner David.

First impression it looked nice. My only concern was that the plastic was thin. I figured I would just put it on myself just like the front lip. The screen also seemed a little flimsy. My car at the same time had issues and was sitting in the shop. I decided just to bring it over to have it installed.

The owner of the shop called me concerned letting me know his guys are having a hell of a time getting the difussor to fit. I came down and the Mechanics told me there were problems with gaps and the exhaust dump holes. They said they could make it work but would have to paint some of the bumper black to hide the gaps. Also they said they would have to relocate my exhaust dump pipe to make it right. I gave them my ok.

The part was installed and ready to go. It look pretty nice. See 1st pic below.

The next step for the shop was to test drive it. Here's where the problem occurred. I get a call from the shop stating to me the diffuser melted like a candle (see pics 2-5). The fins on the left is warped and the fin to the right looks like a deflated baloon.

The 4 pics below are the difusser parts that were melted. I just write this so others owner will not run into the same issues.

Concerned I called David the owner of Cardinale Engineering the maker of the diffuser. I asked him a few questions and told him the rear Diffuser he sold melted.

David response is that the part is not made for an 2005 but rather for a 2006. That the plastic on the diffuser is only rated at 200 degrees. On the sale description, and on his website it stated it fits an 05 and up. There was no disclamer at the time that in only fits an 06 and up and that the plastic is rated at 200 degrees. He said other 05 owners have made it work. He also infromed me that it only fits stock exhaust sytems. I was pretty floored at this news.

There are no full refunds on this part you buy it at you own risk. I asked David for full refund and a small partial was offered only if i didn't post my experience on the forums. Reason it would give other onwers the wrong idea.

I dont want anyone to get burned or put themselves or their Saleen in danger.

Warning if you have a race pipe or something running with no cats this thing will most likey melt. Buyers beware!

Hope this review helps. I wish someone else would have written something like this. Could have save some cash $1100 to be exact (with part purchase, adjustments, paint, and exhaust dump work).

I can see why most diffusers are made of Carbon Fiber. Carbon does not melt plastic does.

My regret in buying this product, going cheap and not going with the Saleen Rear Carbon diffuser. Buy a carbon one if your in the market for a diffuser will be happier in the end.
Attached Thumbnails Cardinale Engineering Saleen S281 ABS Rear Difussor Review-rear-dif-1.jpg   Cardinale Engineering Saleen S281 ABS Rear Difussor Review-photo-diff-6.jpg   Cardinale Engineering Saleen S281 ABS Rear Difussor Review-photo.-diff-5jpg.jpg   Cardinale Engineering Saleen S281 ABS Rear Difussor Review-photo-diff-3.jpg   Cardinale Engineering Saleen S281 ABS Rear Difussor Review-photo-diff-2.jpg  

Last edited by Red6; 07-28-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:45 PM
tbar
2nd Gear Member

That really sucks. I don't know why it would work on an 06 and not an 05. Makes me glad I decided to pass on getting one. Hope it works out for you.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:48 PM
david01130
4th Gear Member

Paul (Red6), after my full support on Friday in order to assist you in correcting this issue, I wanted to clarify a few things on here for yourself and others that may be interested and to keep this short. First and foremost, my full support was offered throughout the whole transaction. As a Saleen owner myself, I am here for your complete satisfaction and not for business gains.

All advertisements and instructions specify this diffuser is either for an 06+ Saleen or for a 2005 with slight exhaust adjustments. Warnings and disclaimers are presented in the instructions to support this. I apologize if you had overlooked these. Analysis was performed on the different exhaust setups Saleen used throughout the years before these diffusers were professional computer designed and professionally manufactured. It was also successfully tested on a 2005 Saleen that was modified correctly and extensively tested on a 2006 Saleen.

Also, this 2005 exhaust issue is not specific to this product, but is also an issue with the Saleen carbon fiber diffuser and Trufiber's products which has bubbled up with improper exhaust adjustments.

If this requirement for the 2005 Saleen was overlooked, then once the diffuser was installed and the exhaust dumps had not lined up, then I should have been contacted for either a clarification or return for a refund. This issue arose when the exhaust was modified without my support or assistance. Also, any changes made before the mufflers does not effect the fitment of this product. This diffuser was tested on a Saleen with no cats and longtube headers without any issues.

Out of generosity to a fellow Saleen owner, I offered a 50% refund, which was refused, or a large discount on a new diffuser, which was also refused.

I truly apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you Paul. My full support was available before and after the transaction as many others can testify to as well.

As you were satisfied with the front splitter, many others have been very pleased as well with both the front splitter and rear diffuser and I am sure will testify if you haven't already seen other reviews.

No harm was taken by stating your concerns here. If any others have questions feel free to email me or send me a PM!

Last edited by david01130; 07-29-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:55 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

This issue seems to be resolved as far as the community is concerned. All other communication needs to be done via PM.