Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

What if anything should I upgrade on my '12 RS3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 03:23 PM
MF.Stage3

Default What if anything should I upgrade on my '12 RS3?

I just recently bought a 2012 Roush Stage 3 used with 4k miles on it. The only thing I know for sure that was done to it was aftermarket headers. I had to tuned and dyno'd as soon as I bought it, and got some great results! 616.16 rwhp and 527.81 torque.

So, I almost got a Boss 302 over this because of the forged internals and for some other reasons but I eventually went with my RS3. Should I be worried about the amount of power this car has? Is the stock 5.0 capable of this? I don't want this car to end up crapping out on me one day because I'm pushing it to hard. If it can't handle it, what should I upgrade? Some things like forged internals, are going to be pretty expensive. Is there anything else that would be beneficial that isn't going to run me several thousand dollars? Any input would be much appreciated.

I'll be posting some pictures of the car soon, as well as updating my profile and all that. Thanks in advace!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:59 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Welcome to MF! Where you are running now is probably right at the limits of the stock internals, if not over the line. You're 200 HP over stock, and (someone correct me if I'm wrong here), but in general, "safe(r)" is within 150 - 175 of stock power output.

If you want to be sure, re-tune down to 575 (stock Roush tune) to keep it at the safe point, and drive and enjoy.

As for mods, you've basically got a great car right out of the box, but if the Roush offroad exhaust is not already installed, get it! Also, if you don't have the forged wheels, get those (for lower rotating mass). Aluminum one-piece driveshaft is a good call too.

Last edited by kenthicken; 05-07-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:33 PM
MF.Stage3

Thank you for the warm welcome, and for the response. I don't think I want to drop the tune, and I don't drag my car so I'm not sure the driveshaft is a good first upgrade; however, I will be upgrading that at some point. I was mainly wondering if upgrading to forged internals was worth the cash. I know it's a little late now seeing as I already bought the car, but I'm a little worried about the long term reliability. Anything I can upgrade now to help prolong the life of the car will be worth it to me, I just don't know what should be upgraded.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:34 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

If you want to push that power level, it's a safe move to build the bottom end.
Hope you enjoy many happy years with your Roush.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:30 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

I think you are probably at the max of what you can do without spending big bucks going forged internals, and I think it's probably OK as-is. I think your combination - as it sits - falls in the "acceptable risk" category if it is a weekend car, with the occasional blast down the strip. If it were seeing strip duty every weekend, I would be more worried, frankly.

Thinking more about the upgrades, definitely get an oil catch can of some sort (keeps the intercooler clean). Also, some gauges: boost pressure, air / fuel ratio, oil pressure. Those are relatively cheap and good to have.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:27 AM
Idoktr

Keep posting the mods !!
Old 05-09-2013, 12:58 PM
MF.Stage3

Thanks guys, will do! I just uploaded some pictures to the picture thread as well as to my garage. In case anyone wants to check it out. I may drop the tune back into the 500's when I get a chance just to be on the safe side. That is until I have the money to upgrade the internals.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:55 PM
cariacou
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MF.Stage3
I just recently bought a 2012 Roush Stage 3 used with 4k miles on it. !
4k miles ? dang that's like brand new... how much was that if it's not too much asking ?
Old 05-09-2013, 02:22 PM
MF.Stage3

Originally Posted by cariacou
4k miles ? dang that's like brand new... how much was that if it's not too much asking ?
Yes it basically is brand new, plus since it was "used" I got a lot of perks like the $1700 Passport 9500ci radar, the $3000 recaro seats, aftermarket headers, SCT tuner, etc. I paid 40k for it, so I think I got a hell of a deal. What do you guys think? I've never really looked into the used Roush market before but when I was at the dealership considering the Boss 302 it was 45k and the stage 3's they had on the lot were around 60k.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I would defintely check with roush on safe amounts of boost to run on that car:
http://www.roushperformance.com/vehi...12-stage3.html
The stage 3 is listed at 540HP and I'm assuming that's at the flywheel...

No mention of internal tweaking so I would say you are on borrowed time at your levels.

How much boost is the car running to get 617RWHP??

Quick Reply: What if anything should I upgrade on my '12 RS3?