Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Factory Roush vs. Roush Clone--Buyer Beware?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 04:36 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

There are collectors that will pay a fortune just to be able to say that they have an "original whatever". I can't see an "original" car that came of a production line as being like an original, handmade "one off" painting or sculpture. A restored '61 Fuel Injected Corvette put together from original pieces has all the same characteristics as the original car simply without the original bill of sale documentation. I "only" love a car because of its characteristics, not because it is the original production model, but it's different strokes for different folks. For some folks having the "original" production '61 Corvette is worth five times as much or more even if it is the same in all characteristics. I don't mean to criticize those people's values, because everyone should get to enjoy what they like. They are just not my values!

Example of my thinking: Here's a clone of a Colt 44 Special I shoot. It is made better than the original, but looks and shoots as good or better because of hidden improvements like springs and improved steel. The best thing is that it is only a fraction of the cost of an original so I can afford to own it and not worry about taking it out in the desert and shooting it. Original Colts don't hold up as well! I have a lifelong gun buddy who owns original Colts, but when we shoot at Jackrabbits he brings along his clone Colts!

Last edited by Mr. D; 03-28-2014 at 04:46 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:46 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
There are collectors that will pay a fortune just to be able to say that they have an "original whatever". I can't see an "original" car that came of a production line as being like an original, handmade "one off" painting or sculpture. A restored '61 Fuel Injected Corvette put together from original pieces has all the same characteristics as the original car simply without the original bill of sale documentation. I "only" love a car because of its characteristics, not because it is the original production model, but it's different strokes for different folks. For some folks having the "original" production '61 Corvette is worth five times as much or more even if it is the same in all characteristics. I don't mean to criticize those people's values, because everyone should get to enjoy what they like. They are just not my values!
Or perhaps you're just not a Nutty collector yet? ;-)

---
Old 03-28-2014, 04:55 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
FAIL!
Neither of those is a regular GT
The first one if the GT500 and the second is using the mustang customizer combining the GT/GTCS bumper/pp v6 grill/v6 hood/GT500 stripes
Of course you are right! I'm aware it is not a stock GT. I'm not sure I'd want to use all the mods based on the cost above the GT cost. My point was only that I would like this look for a supercharged 5.0L automatic! I like the look of the car with the hood and stripes like this. It is a car that would fit my needs more than a Shelby.

Do you know if the hood is a Ford steel hood, or fiberglass?

Last edited by Mr. D; 03-28-2014 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:42 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Do you know if the hood is a Ford steel hood, or fiberglass?
Neither, its aluminum, the mustang hasnt had a steel hood since 93 or a fiberglass one since 04
Old 03-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Neither, its aluminum, the mustang hasnt had a steel hood since 93 or a fiberglass one since 04
Unless you meant the one on that 1969 GT 500 example I linked to.... it's fabricated most likely from steel sheet metal.

---
Old 03-28-2014, 03:25 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

LilRoush,
What I said is that I don't call "MY CAR" anything! It is a Roush build! I simply don't think you should get upset if a owner of a Authorized Roush Shop "major" build includes windshield banners, dash plaques, etc. on his Mustang. Only the very least informed ignorants will think it is a Factory Roush Serial Numbered Car like yours.
Exactly what I agree with. Niether is 'better' than the other to each respective owner, but they are two different things. I didn't mean to imply one is better than the other, they are just not the same.

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
Yes I can only assume here, there was no mention of what you actually spent for it. But, if you were not concerned with overpaying for it then I can guess it was not a valuable collector car? And if you're Modifying it anyway then you've strayed away from what the intended vision for that car was. Which would make it fair to say you've changed or altered it, which in the collector world also devalues it. And in the real world makes it no longer a Roush original vehicle. Which would mean...B's car is just as much a Roush as your own.(see how that works)
Being that I am some what of hobbiest level rare Ford collector, I made sure not to do anything to the '98 that would take away from the original build. I have all the orignial parts and have done nothing to it that can't be taken back with the original "(AKA numbers matching) stuff. I have also put 240,000+ miles on it. I don't buy them to look at, I buy them to enjoy. My '98 is a 1 of 1 Roush build (as far as we know). Agreed that it would be valued far more to a collector/Roush enthusiest than to your typical "I want a Mustang" buyer from AutoTrader. Chances are if/when I sell it, it will go to someone like myself, not just a random guy, but an enthusiet. When I sold my V6 Roush, it was to a guy who had been following the build and a big fan of the Roush line. He was specifically looking for a V6 Roush. It drew far more selling value than a basic off the lot 2000 V6 Mustang would have.

In fact for the benefit of LilRoush claiming a Roush CAI will void a warranty.... That's not applicable if Ford installs it. And they do install them. Which means... simply put an OEM CAI back on ...take it to a Ford shop and pay them to install it.
------------

...in the age of Millennials with a lot more common sense and a true sense of value.... The collector Market is really the land of people with more money than brains.
My point about the CAI is that Roush and Ford clearly state that use of the Roush CAI voids all warrenties from both companies. Mr. D said he is aware and agrees.

I don't think the collector market is really "the land of people with more money than brains", but I see what you are saying. Maybe once you get into the rare exotics etc...
I don't have a lot of money at all. I do a lot of research before picking up a car. I've met a lot of great guys and gals that invest well with the little they have to enjoy a rare car. It does come down to personal priorities - an everyone will be different. Personally for me, I like having rare stuff. It doesn't have to be high dollar stuff. I just enjoy showing up at the track with something nobody else has. It's a fun talking point. To me the odd ball builds help keep the history of the line going.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:56 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Unless you meant the one on that 1969 GT 500 example I linked to.... it's fabricated most likely from steel sheet metal.

---
then its fiberglass like all classic Shelby GT500s.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:06 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

then its fiberglass like all classic Shelby GT500s.
Thanx!
Old 03-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Exactly what I agree with. Niether is 'better' than the other to each respective owner, but they are two different things. I didn't mean to imply one is better than the other, they are just not the same.

Agreed 100%!
Old 03-28-2014, 05:14 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

1. Anyone know approx. end date for ordering a 2014 Mustang?
2. Anyone know approx. date the 2015's will be for sale?

Quick Reply: Factory Roush vs. Roush Clone--Buyer Beware?