Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Factory Roush vs. Roush Clone--Buyer Beware?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:46 PM
larryamyers

Default Real Rousch?

I am bidding on a 1996 Ford Rousch that is supposed to be the real thing. The engine has a plate with no "signature" on the build plate. The vin is: 1FALP47V2TF112159. How do i find out if this is for real or a clone? Thanks.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:18 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Post a link to the ad. I can find out for you. VIN won't mean anything.

Oh, and it's ROUSH... no "C".
Old 02-27-2014, 06:26 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

This one? Black Roush Cobra?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-Rousch-SVT-Cobra-1996-ford-mustang-svt-roush-cobra-coupe-2-door-4-6-l-/111285785074?forcerrptr=true&hash=item19e92651f2&item=111285785074&pt=US_Cars_Trucks#ht_935wt_1035
It always scares me when they can't spell the name of the car they are selling.
It looks legit. This would be one of the VERY rare Roush Cobras. I'm trying to figure out what wing is on it. It's not the stock wing, nor the Roush wing. I wish they had better pics of it (wheels, side skirts, exhaust etc...). It's not really a well done ad for how rare that car is.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:56 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default Clone is an inaccurate word!

Roush Owners with a serial numbered Mustang should not feel the need to use the degrading and inaccurate word "Clone" unless they are referring to a Mustang that has attempted to be passed off as an exact copy of a serial numbered Roush. Then it is a clone!

My car is clearly not a Clone and it is accepted by Roush as a Roush built and guaranteed car. Roush does not give Roush/Ford driveline guarantees to cobbled together backyard clones! I checked that with Roush before building the car!
I called Roush and they said the determining factor whether a car is considered a Roush legally is determined by whether or not it has a Roush/Ford driveline guarantee! There is no need for owners of serial numbered cars to be petty and degrade such cars by calling them clones. When an authorized Roush shop builds a GT with a Roush supercharger, Strut Tower Bars, Supercharger CAI units, & other engine parts, big brakes, suspension and other misc. parts with a Roush/Ford guarantee it deserves to be called a Roush!

In example, my car below makes no attempt to imitate or pass itself off as any Roush Model I am aware of. In fact it looks more like a Shelby! In fact I didn't want Roush body works panels and that is exactly why it was built by a authorized Roush Dealer instead by the Roush factory. I prefer the Ford Mustang Body Style!

T If someday I sell my car I will certainly not lie and call it a Roush clone! It is no where near a clone! It is an alternate, authorized Roush Mustang build. The only real issue is that we should see that potential buyers don't buy misrepresented Mustangs. Buyer beware and understand what you are getting for your money! Believe it or not, some Mustang guys perfer the performance to added on ground works body parts! I see serial numbered Roush Mustangs sold at Ford Dealers that have close to stock motors and only added on Roush body parts! To each his own! I don't say they are not a real Roush!

Maybe we can agree it is a Mustang.... but maybe not! LOL!

Last edited by Mr. D; 02-28-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:43 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Post a link to the ad. I can find out for you. VIN won't mean anything.

Oh, and it's ROUSH... no "C".
Wouldn't the VIN tell the hx of the car? Doesn't roush tie their seeial number to it in the record keeping?
Old 02-28-2014, 05:17 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Not all first gen cars got serial numbers. It's why some of us old timers fight so hard to track the original cars (95-98). Some still have the original paperwork from the Roush build with them. Some are well documented due to how rare they are.
Sadly, many slipped through the cracks over the years. Real record keeping at Roush started in 2001. Prior to that is VERY hit and miss.

Last edited by LilRoush; 02-28-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:23 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Mr D, we get what you are saying. But your car is not a ROUSH nor a 'clone'. You have a Mustang GT with a Roush blower that was installed by a Roush authorized dealer. End of story. Say anything you want, but it won't make it a Roush. I'm sorry.

The term 'clone' is in no way degrading. It's a term used to describe an exact replica of a car. Clone/replica/copy... pick a term. It's all the same.

I am curious as to who at Roush Performance told you this? Was is someone at Roush, or was it someone at your Roush authorized dealer (who also mislabled your car with a plaque it shouldn't have)?
Old 03-01-2014, 05:01 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush

I am curious as to who at Roush Performance told you this? Was is someone at Roush, or was it someone at your Roush authorized dealer (who also mislabled your car with a plaque it shouldn't have)?
I talked to a manager/executive at Roush in late '08. I was inquiring about Mustangs sold with no serial numbers as new Roushs at local Ford Dealers! I asked how to tell whether Roush considered the car a Roush? If a new Mustang is upgraded with performance parts like Superchargers and other speed parts by an Roush authorized dealer. It will be given a Roush Driveline warrantee and it is legally a Roush to the Jack Roush Company!!

If Roush considers it a Roush its good enough for me! Common sense says that if you take your new Mustang to an authorized Roush dealer and spend $15 to $20K you should expect it to be called a Roush! It is "no" the more valuable factory Serial Numbered Roush, but it is an authorized shop Roush!

Last edited by Mr. D; 03-01-2014 at 05:16 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:21 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Who was that person?
From my experience with the Roush Performance company, they love all sorts of Mustangs - especially ones enhanced with aftermarket from Roush. In over a decade working with Roush products / cars, I've never heard of anyone from Roush calling a non-serialized car a real Roush. I'm very curious as the nature of the statement and who it was from.

Last edited by LilRoush; 03-01-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:44 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

So if I take my car to a dealer authorized to sell Saleen mustangs and they install a Saleen blower , does that make my car a Saleen!

Quick Reply: Factory Roush vs. Roush Clone--Buyer Beware?