Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Factory Roush vs. Roush Clone--Buyer Beware?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 08:05 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

So the comparison is.....

A Mustang Modified with all Roush stage 3 performance parts from top to bottom and inside and out by Ford exactly like a Roush with all applicable invoices.

or

A Mustang Modified by Roush with all the same stage 3 parts top to bottom and inside and out by Roush and registered in their system.

just simplyfying the argument here. But it seems to me all the ingredients are the same. All the warrantees still apply and the only difference is WHO the chef was.

In the END the results are the same. The only difference being

One is a Roush OEM Spec Modified

the other is a Roush OEM Certified.

If you ask me...or any rational human being...then at the end of the day if both cars look the same, sound the same and perform the same. Then they are the same.

At which point the better of the two will be which ever one I can buy for the better price.

If all points considered are the same and both cars are covered under the applicable warrantees. Then the pedigree of the vehicle is really a stupid argument. Since the pedigree is really just a Mustang no matter how you look at it. Anything else is just Marketing.

Sort of crazy like the way it is in the Dog fancy and how people feel purity of bloodlines and all that crap makes the purebred a better dog, when in reality a well planned mixed breed is scientifically proven to be the superior example all the time.

In the end both are just dogs.

Just like both these cars are Mustangs.

---

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 03-21-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:28 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

This is a really entertaining thread.

Mr. D., I just have one question - have you been to a Mustang car show, and referred to your car as a "Roush Mustang?" Have you had this same discussion at a car show with other Mustang owners? What has been the response? Just curious.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:54 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Slamming Mr. D is just silly....He has a valid point.

If he wants to go to a car show and shows off his car he can simply say its a privately commisioned build by Ford of an OEM Roush Spec Modified Mustang. Which by all means is technically correct, provided he holds all the invoicing for the said modifications.

He brought it to ford for all the Roush Modifications to be installed. Its not Rocket Science. If you strip away all the BS in the previous arguements... you're simply left with .....it is what it is.

And its a Mustang.

Albeit one rather modified Mustang with Roush approved parts. Consisting of

Components manufactured by, Eaton, Whipple, Stop Tech, MMD, etc etc etc.

What would be technically incorrect is saying it is a Roush Certified build.

However, all said and done... if the sum of all components are the same and backed by a warranty. Anyone stuck on Pedigree.... Really is a fool.

Anyone who knows what went into the build whether done by Ford or by Roush. Will respect what it is.

The ones who bitch over the point of origin....are just pretentious and possibly in denial.

---
Old 03-21-2014, 03:14 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

"It is what it is" indeed.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:33 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Mr. D has gone full circle. At one point he's claiming his car is a Roush clone, then it's Roush modified and the same as a real Roush (even though it's just a blower kit), then it's better than a real Roush, now no Roush products are better than any other Mustang.

I have never said Roush doesn't do authorized installs. Obviously they do.
I have never said anything negative about his car, though he seems to like to attack me personally when I try to explain the difference between a real Roush and a Mustang with aftermarket certified installed parts.

If his car was Mustang with a Roush ceritifed install of the full package, it would be easier to swallow him calling it a "Roush Mustang". Until it sports the full aero kit, wheels, full suspension, brakes and interior, it's not even close to a Roush Mustang.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:20 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Mr. D has gone full circle. At one point he's claiming his car is a Roush clone, then it's Roush modified and the same as a real Roush (even though it's just a blower kit), then it's better than a real Roush, now no Roush products are better than any other Mustang.

I have never said anything negative about his car, though he seems to like to attack me personally when I try to explain the difference between a real Roush and a Mustang with aftermarket certified installed parts.

If his car was Mustang with a Roush ceritifed install of the full package, it would be easier to swallow him calling it a "Roush Mustang". Until it sports the full aero kit, wheels, full suspension, brakes and interior, it's not even close to a Roush Mustang.

Okay, Well as an outside observer. A Roush clone to me describes a car trying to look like a Roush inspired vehicle. This can apply to a Shelby, Saleen, Hennessy, Steeda etc etc etc. A clone can look like the real thing on the out side but can be hiding the what's really underneath...falling short of what would qualify as a Roush or any other custom version of a Mustang.

I understand that these specialty teams do a lot of real world testing to qualify the resulting packages they finally equip their vehicles with before they put their stamp of approval on it. I get it.

BUT.... the aftermarket options they use are not unique to their vehicles. In fact most of these options are manufactured and sold as optional installs for the modding genre of owners, who can even do the Modifications themselves if they are up to the challenge. And as such, building a Roush out of the same exact parts OR BETTER than a Roush or Saleen or Shelby or SVT or Steeda is not unheard of. And if they are installed by Ford or an authorized Installer for the special teams of choice then the end result is a Modified Vehicle with all warrantees that apply just like the certified Vehicle.

Therefore.... It is what it is. A Modified Mustang. And the idea behind modding is to make whatever vehicle is the target of your mods your own. Something that stands apart from the rest and identifies you. Anyone can own a Roush that looks just like any other Roush. But the second you delete the spoiler or swap the rocker panels or enhance the rear valance or swap the intake for something better.....Does it also void that car as being a Roush?

I think not.

Also....I see you're not knocking his vehicle LilRoush.... But, you are sure riding Mr. D hard to agree and profess that his car ain't the real deal. Who are we to say that or demand that he claim that. If his Roush what-eva Mustang can beat the snot out of a typical Roush, and BTW a lot of cars can... Mustang or not...then its a real deal.

If the Man installed Roush parts and had them done at the dealer then as far as I'm concerned its just as good or better than a Roush. Most rational people would agree.

Mr D. can call his car... what ever he wants. I suggest the Mustang "D". If he calls it a Roush.... that's okay, too. If you want to call it a Roush imposter...thats cool, too.

In the end its just like a Roush... which is a Modified Mustang.

BTW. Jack Roush is like in his 90's. I don't think he can really "certify" anything right now. Just Like Mr. Carrol Shelby. It's just a Custom option with a bit of nostalgia rolled in for marketing.

Just saying.
---

BTW... I'm not a poser... I have a a hat tip nod to the things I like about SVT, Saleen, Roush, Shelby and Steeda. All over...around and inside of my Mustang...From Styling to performance. In the end what I have is unique and my own. And the many compliments and people asking to take a picture of the car tells me my choices and all the work invested is appreciated by others.

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 03-21-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:14 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush

You are being "disingenuous"! That's the term polite politicians use when somebody misrepresents what they have actually said to win an argument! Try to carry on a discussion without saying I have said things just about the opposite of what I have actually said! My comments in the discussion have never been about my car. They have been about builds don't by Authorized Roush Dealers in general. Obviously my car does not attempt to look anything like any Roush model so why would I ever call it a Roush Clone"! Duh! If anything my car looks more like a '08 Mustang California Special, or an '08 Shelby.... and nothing like any Roush I've ever seen! Common sense tells anybody that I wasn't trying to create a Roush Clone. Look at the "frigg'n" car before making up such crap! I also have not said, "no Roush products are better than any other Mustang!" What I said is that many Roush Mustangs I've seen on Ford lots and around town had very little performance mods above a stock GT Mustang. The Roush "body Styling modifications" obviously are a matter of individual taste and I would not criticize them! All I said is that I prefer the stock Ford Mustang styling so I had only performance Mods done to my GT at Roush Authorized Dealer!

I've made my point and I'm not going to continue any discussion with you since what I'm saying is being misrepresented! You are probably a great guy in person, but obviously we can't discuss different opinions without getting negative attitudes going So let's let it go!
Old 03-22-2014, 04:44 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
Okay, Well as an outside observer. A Roush clone to me describes a car trying to look like a Roush inspired vehicle. This can apply to a Shelby, Saleen, Hennessy, Steeda etc etc etc. A clone can look like the real thing on the out side but can be hiding the what's really underneath...falling short of what would qualify as a Roush or any other custom version of a Mustang.

I understand that these specialty teams do a lot of real world testing to qualify the resulting packages they finally equip their vehicles with before they put their stamp of approval on it. I get it.

BUT.... the aftermarket options they use are not unique to their vehicles. In fact most of these options are manufactured and sold as optional installs for the modding genre of owners, who can even do the Modifications themselves if they are up to the challenge. And as such, building a Roush out of the same exact parts OR BETTER than a Roush or Saleen or Shelby or SVT or Steeda is not unheard of. And if they are installed by Ford or an authorized Installer for the special teams of choice then the end result is a Modified Vehicle with all warrantees that apply just like the certified Vehicle.

Therefore.... It is what it is. A Modified Mustang. And the idea behind modding is to make whatever vehicle is the target of your mods your own. Something that stands apart from the rest and identifies you. Anyone can own a Roush that looks just like any other Roush. But the second you delete the spoiler or swap the rocker panels or enhance the rear valance or swap the intake for something better.....Does it also void that car as being a Roush?

I think not.

Also....I see you're not knocking his vehicle LilRoush.... But, you are sure riding Mr. D hard to agree and profess that his car ain't the real deal. Who are we to say that or demand that he claim that. If his Roush what-eva Mustang can beat the snot out of a typical Roush, and BTW a lot of cars can... Mustang or not...then its a real deal.

If the Man installed Roush parts and had them done at the dealer then as far as I'm concerned its just as good or better than a Roush. Most rational people would agree.

Mr D. can call his car... what ever he wants. I suggest the Mustang "D". If he calls it a Roush.... that's okay, too. If you want to call it a Roush imposter...thats cool, too.

In the end its just like a Roush... which is a Modified Mustang.

BTW. Jack Roush is like in his 90's. I don't think he can really "certify" anything right now. Just Like Mr. Carrol Shelby. It's just a Custom option with a bit of nostalgia rolled in for marketing.

Just saying.
---

BTW... I'm not a poser... I have a a hat tip nod to the things I like about SVT, Saleen, Roush, Shelby and Steeda. All over...around and inside of my Mustang...From Styling to performance. In the end what I have is unique and my own. And the many compliments and people asking to take a picture of the car tells me my choices and all the work invested is appreciated by others.
EXCELLENT POST CRUZINAROUND!

Note To All: Please note that I have no, and would not say "My Mustang" is a Roush! Look at the picture on every post and you will see the label does not even use the word "Roush"! WITH ALL DUE RESPECT FOR ROUSH MUSTANGS.... I didn't want one! I like the unmodified look of the '08 For Mustangs better! If it imitates anything, it would be an '08 California Special or Shelby not a Roush!

My one and only point is that if a New Ford Mustang GT is sent to a Roush Authorized Dealer and it has most, or all of the Roush performance mods done from Roush Supercharger on, etc. and is given a warrantee honored by both Ford and Roush on that build it is not a "GREAT SIN" if the owner says he has a Roush Mustang! All Roush builds are not the same even those coming from the factory with a serial number! Sellers should never call a "Authorized Roush Warranted Shop Build" a "Roush Serial Numbered Factory Build"!

I've irritated some people, sorry! My comments have never intended to demean Roush Factory Builds! My intention was to raise the awareness that Roush Authorized Dealers build some very nice Mustangs with a Ford/Roush warrantee, and it's a very nice Roush optional to buying a Roush Factory serial numbered build, a Saleen, Boss or a Shelby for us PO Folk! Not everyone can afford the $70K!

..... Anymore arguing and I will be a Troll, so I'm done with this discussion! Everbody enjoy the Mustangs they like and don't worry about defending them! They are all great!

In conclusion, I will likely buy a 5.0L Mustang with an automatic and take it to a Roush Dealer for a 575 H.P. Roush supercharger build with big brakes and some stripes on it for my wife to drive! She's always loved the sound and power of my cars since she was 18, but at 71 she'd rather play with the paddle shifters to scare her old lady friends on the way to her bowling league! LOL!

If I put together a "Roush Authorized Dealer Build" that looks about like this I promise not to call it a Roush! LOL! Just a "Nice little Old Lady's Automatic", right? Can you dig it?

Last edited by Mr. D; 03-22-2014 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:02 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
I'm on his case about calling his car something it's not. He kept saying it's a REAL Roush, and it's not. That is my point - in fact that is why this thread was started, some scammer claimed a car was a real Roush to sell it.
Actually, his car isn't anything on par with the Roush he claims it is for all around performance. So it's not even close to 'beating the snot out of a typical Roush'.

Jack is not in his 90's and is very much in the game. I see him often, and deal with a lot of people who work with him on a daily basis. He is heavily involved with his brand and all of his race teams.
It's crap like this that bugs me. People like to say "I think" and turn it into something instead of FACTS.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:11 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Note To All: Please note that I have no, and would not say "My Mustang" is a Roush! Look at the picture on every post and you will see the label does not even use the word "Roush"! WITH ALL DUE RESPECT FOR ROUSH MUSTANGS.... I didn't want one!
Originally Posted by Mr. D
My comments in the discussion have never been about my car.
Um, do I need to go back and quote the DOZENS of times you have claimed you car was a REAL ROUSH b/c it was done at a Roush authorized shop for you in this thread alone? Not about your car....LOL.

How about this thread you started?
https://mustangforums.com/forum/sale...ns-rousch.html

The best part of this for me is you keep claiming all this greatness about the Roush warrenty, yet your's is void b/c you upgraded to the Roush CAI with your blower kit. So none of your Ford or Roush warrenty arguement is valid.

You really cried hard that your modified car was just like a Roush to now be saying you didn't want one.

I have no respect for that type of flip flop.

Last edited by LilRoush; 03-22-2014 at 07:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Factory Roush vs. Roush Clone--Buyer Beware?