Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Roush Stage 2 thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 05:39 PM
Aulus

Default Roush Stage 2 thoughts?

Hey everyone,

I Just graduated basic training and now I'm thinking about get a Roush stage 2.
Anyone got any tips for saving some money? or just general thoughts? I know there is military discount, but I mean like not choosing certain package options because they get canceled out.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:46 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Not sure if you are interested - but Steeda builds Performance Vehicles too, specific packages to meet your needs.

You can check out our selection here - www.steedavehicles.com.

Let me know your thoughts.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 12-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Aulus

Ill definitely check that our right now. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:18 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Are you considering new or used? Used Roush values drop like a rock, so you could pick up a 2013 Stage THREE for somewhere in the mid-30s.

On the "general thoughts" side, if you're just getting out of basic, I assume you are still a young man. I don't know your money situation, but if you can get the money for the Roush and not stretch yourself too thin, go for it...but don't kill yourself financially just to get into a Roush. Don't get tied up in some insane loan for 7 years at 10% or something like that - a search of this board will show you a bunch of young people getting in over their heads on a car loan. Again, if you can afford to go the Roush route, go for it. But, don't get yourself in financial straits.

Last edited by kenthicken; 12-10-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:36 PM
Aulus

Thanks for the concern, its actually a known thing people do out of training lol. Fortunately I am in a very good place financially, I finished college sometime before I started.

Im not so opposed to getting a used roush, I've heard they dont hold value well.
What the reliability with the new engines past the 60k + Im aiming for something naturally aspirated that I dont have to do work on for a while. Long story short I have a mini S it makes 21psi its on its way out, and I just dont wanna spend more time building something like that again.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:08 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Good to hear you're solid financially.

Regarding the used Roush, I'd stick to going for a Stage 3 - if the reliability of a supercharged engine is a stopper, note that the Roush in my sig pic is my daily driver, and have 107,000 miles on it, all racked up in LA traffic! So, it's a very solid blower (M90) and a tune from Roush (as it left the factory). It runs about 6 - 8 lbs. of boost, which is enough to have some fun with, but not get crazy. And, I don't beat the hell out of it either, so it's staying together. The newer TVS guys can chime in here, but I understand that is a very solid setup as well, and gives you a lot more room to make big power than an M90.

Frankly, when I bought the car, I too was a bit nervous about the reliability of a forced induction engine, but it's run like a champ for a lot of years. I did have the M90 compressor rebuilt at 95,000 just to be on the safe side, but the builder did tell me when it was apart that it looked really good.

So, if that helps to make your decision, I'd say a used Stage 3 could be a great option as a driver.

As for the value holding, if you go used, you won't take a majority of that hit. You may lose money at the end (versus a GT500, for example), but hey... that's life.

A couple of things to note on a Roush:

1) Goes through tires, but any performance car does. I've had REALLY good luck with the BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2... they are lasting forever and still stick.
2) The factory Roush struts and shocks are weak, and go bad at about 20K miles. Go right for the Koni Yellows... I've had good luck with them so far (and this is after two sets of the Roush struts / shocks.

Good hunting!
Old 02-18-2016, 07:38 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Those new Steedas look good.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:50 AM
IRISHROUSH

don't waste the $$$ on a stage 2. It's a GT that is NA with a body kit some badges and signatures.... Go stage 3. Gets a better exhaust, tuned suspension, and a super charger. I drive an 08 Roush 427R
Old 07-19-2016, 02:01 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kenthicken
Are you considering new or used? Used Roush values drop like a rock, so you could pick up a 2013 Stage THREE for somewhere in the mid-30s.

On the "general thoughts" side, if you're just getting out of basic, I assume you are still a young man. I don't know your money situation, but if you can get the money for the Roush and not stretch yourself too thin, go for it...but don't kill yourself financially just to get into a Roush. Don't get tied up in some insane loan for 7 years at 10% or something like that - a search of this board will show you a bunch of young people getting in over their heads on a car loan. Again, if you can afford to go the Roush route, go for it. But, don't get yourself in financial straits.
Great post & advice! Young guys should listen to you!
Old 10-06-2016, 12:57 PM
Jack1.1

Default S2 Roush

Sir:

I can tell you what I learned which would hold true for any of the 05-10 cars (4.6) and then the 2011-2014 (5.0). I would start with your power plant first, and pick your preference. I have a sport (2005) which was basically a stock GT with roush mufflers and a body kit. Well I originally had eibach springs on it, before I converted to a full S2 handling kit. The roush kit took the stock mustang to a much better level, much more flat and safe. Now the rear of my NA car was loose which was solved with some LCA's from the GT500. It is generally known that the bang for the buck if you don't want to buy the entire S2 kit is to just get springs and the rear sway bar. That is if you want to save some money and still step up your handling.
As far as a S3 over a S2, really I would go for the S3 because you get the big brake kit with the S3. Depends though, you could get a S2 and then add all the stuff like me, which has been fun, besides for the S2 kit, I also put in a full roush leather interior (ditched the cloth). All comes down to the supercharger though, do you want one or not. If you go 2012-2014 I would try for the recaro seats too, but they are rare in a roush.

Quick Reply: Roush Stage 2 thoughts?