Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Mach vs Z28

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 07:28 PM
mach368
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Mach vs Z28

i have raced a z28 before i got my s/c and i won that race.I would suppose that in the end it may come down to the driver but if the drivers are equal i would say the mach shouldnt have too much of a problem,not trying to take anything away from the camaros im sure there nice.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:51 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

Mach 1 vs LT1 = ugly for LT1
Mach 1 vs LS1 = drivers race

The LS1 really should win with equal drivers. More hp, more tq, pretty equal weight.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:20 PM
mach368
1st Gear Member

maby,but the mach is said to be underated and the ram air does and hp,not a great deal but every bit helps.Hard to find the true dyno numbers with out a fan or something that can direct high mph winds into the shaker.In the end it will be decided on the street and not by numbers.

In any case should be real fun for the guys racing.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:42 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mach368

maby,but the mach is said to be underated and the ram air does and hp,not a great deal but every bit helps.Hard to find the true dyno numbers with out a fan or something that can direct high mph winds into the shaker.In the end it will be decided on the street and not by numbers.

I really dont think your going to see anything noticable until you get into the extreme end of your speedometer (120 +). That air still has to go thru the maze of piping to get it thru the mam and into the engine.

In any case, I cannot imagine a ram air system on a modern car (due to the piping) adding anything more than 5-6 HP, and I think that is being fairly optimistic. Its not like the 60s where it dumped it basically straight thru the filter and into the engine. Even in that case the difference was nothing monumental.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:39 AM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 00mustangGT_BLK

I test drove the 2003 Mach1...The shaker hood wood be better looking if it wasnt plastic charcoal but the same color as the car itself and MEDAL.

I still love my GT
Glad to hear you liked your test drive! [8D] As for the shaker, it IS METAL! It's cast aluminum and is produced from an original casting of the 1969 version.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:14 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

my friend has a 1998 Z28 stock down the the dirty air filter and VIP specia tires. his best a the track is a 13.6, my friend with a 04 Mach 1 comp. orange his best is a 13.8, wth everything stock, an he removed he air silencer and plugged up the air sliencer on the air intake.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:34 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: mach368

I really dont think your going to see anything noticable until you get into the extreme end of your speedometer (120 +). That air still has to go thru the maze of piping to get it thru the mam and into the engine.

In any case, I cannot imagine a ram air system on a modern car (due to the piping) adding anything more than 5-6 HP, and I think that is being fairly optimistic. Its not like the 60s where it dumped it basically straight thru the filter and into the engine. Even in that case the difference was nothing monumental.
Werd. I've tried to tell some of these guys this for a while. When I was looking for a ram air setup for the TA, every site I went to said that a CAI is basically the same thing. The sites said that at 100mph I'd gain 1% hp over the CAI. It's mainly for looks.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:01 AM
00mustangGT_BLK
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mach1man

I test drove the 2003 Mach1...The shaker hood wood be better looking if it wasnt plastic charcoal but the same color as the car itself and MEDAL.

I still love my GT
Glad to hear you liked your test drive! [8D] As for the shaker, it IS METAL! It's cast aluminum and is produced from an original casting of the 1969 version.
Oh sorry..my bad! I never actually touched the hood..just looked at it. Maybe they could have polished it up a bit..it still looks plastic to me. Anyways..its still a beautiful machine. And I wish I had one.
but thats o.k...im headed into my 40's soon and I see a Vette in the future. Hopefully in the near future.
Nothing better then American Muscle V8 power!
Old 06-19-2004, 03:29 AM
Mach Daddy

ORIGINAL: Mach1man

I still love my GT
Oh sorry..my bad! I never actually touched the hood..just looked at it. Maybe they could have polished it up a bit..it still looks plastic to me. Anyways..its still a beautiful machine. And I wish I had one.
but thats o.k...im headed into my 40's soon and I see a Vette in the future. Hopefully in the near future.
Nothing better then American Muscle V8 power!
Actually, I have seen pics on other boards where the shaker is either completely polished or only the fins on the shaker are polished. Either way, the shaker looked great ... I just haven't got the guts to do it ... I did, however put in some old school hood pins from Ford Motor Sports.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:45 PM
Cobranut

I've only had my MACH less than a week, so I haven't really gotten used to it yet.

Trouble is, EVERYTHING feels slow compared to my 427 Cobra.

David

[IMG]local://upfiles/7556/Sq478414899.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Mach vs Z28