Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

A few questions on a 2007 Roush 427R (price, and tech)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 06:18 PM
Project07Roush

Default A few questions on a 2007 Roush 427R (price, and tech)

Hello all,
I recently purchased a 2007 Roush 427R with 49k miles through private sale. The thing is in excellent condition, and only needs a good buff on the hood and front bumper respray (someone tapped chin spoiler). The car has a pulley, steeda intake, BBK headers, a high flow x, and the roush axle backs. I was wondering what something like this normally goes for? I heard black book lists the value and updates weekly, but that is nearly $200 a year. Unfortunately it's a pretty base package with the only add ons (other than the 427r package) being the shifter and the 14" slotted rotors and 4 piston brakes.

Also, I have two issues. Pcm was sent to roush who reflashed it. It has a boost a pump and I don't believe it was tuned for it so it cuts fuel momentarily and fuel pressure drops and then spikes back to normal. It feels like traction control honestly but it isn't. I read that this happens when you upgrade the fuel pump but don't tune it because it uses some fancy mathematical equation. Is this true? Fuel trims and pressure are otherwise golden.

One last thing. When above 4k rpms, I can't shift fast into the next gear. It doesn't grind, but will not go into gear. I read the remote shifter causes this when making decent power because it twists, and torque reducers are needed. Is this also true?

Sorry to prod you all so much, this is the first forum with an actual roush section that I have found. I have been on other forums as well because I used to have a 2006 mustang gt.
Thanks in advance!
Justin
Old 10-25-2016, 10:19 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Congrats on the 427R! It's a great car, a lot of fun!

To answer a few of your questions:

Solid info on Roush Mustangs is hard to come by, since FNSWEET.COM closed down. There was a lot of knowledge over there, but who knows what happened to all that content.

Values on Roush Mustangs are very hard to establish, as there is no "Blue Book" or "NADA Guides" value based on the VIN (I'm sure your insurance company kept calling yours a "Mustang GT"). The rule of thumb seems to be to look at the original sticker price of a 2007 Mustang GT, with the (basic) options the car came with, then look at what it is worth currently. Let's say it is worth 60% less now than it was when new. Take a look at the original sticker price of the 427R package you have (roughly $22K or so), then cut that by the same percentage. Add the two, and that is a good starting point for your value.

Also, your car seems to be fairly highly optioned with the big brakes. Most didn't get that option. Does it have the "Jack Roush" leather seats? 427R floor mats? Boost gauge? Louvers?

As for the PCM thing, that is a very touchy area. Frankly, the fact that a "Boost A Pump" is doing that, tells me that it's going south. I don't think it's the tune, but who knows what was done to the car. I'd replace the Boost A Pump first, then see what it does. Also... to be absolutely sure you are running a correct tune, I would contact Brenspeed.com or VMPtuning.com, tell them your options, and make sure you get a tune that works with all that is on the car. Yes, these cars are very sensitive to the tunes. Only way to be sure is to get a new tune, so something doesn't blow up.

I like the Roush shifter, but it is a bit "notchy." Might just need an adjustment. Or the bushings that hold it in place are bad. Not likely, but possible.

Enjoy your 427R. Mine is my daily driver with 113,000 on the clock, and it's been great. I'm the original owner.

As for that chin spoiler, get used to paint scrapes!
Old 10-26-2016, 04:56 AM
Project07Roush

Thank you very much for the response. I've checked both AFR and fuel trims to verify tune is decent enough to drive on for now and it is. I'm going to get it dyno tuned here shortly because I think it'll need to be cut back to stay reliable (runs 10-11psi at wot). It is a pretty base package without leather (I didn't know this was an option, but verified it through roush). The brakes, 427 floor mats, and the short throw shifter are the only things other than locking lugs. I paid 2k over what kbb was on a GT of the same year with same miles, so I'd assume I got a deal hehe. I find new stuff about the car everyday though, the previous owner had it a year and I don't think he knew much about it. The undercarriage has all tubular k member, subframe connectors, UCA, LCA, etc.... You name it it has it. Not regretting this decision one bit, the thing is amazing! I wasn't even looking for one but stumbled on it by chance on Craigslist and couldn't pass it up
Old 10-31-2016, 05:00 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

I'd say you got a deal at $2K over KBB! Great job!

Does it still have the stock M90 blower? If so, at 10 - 11 PSI, I'd be very nervous... especially if the short block is not forged (which it wasn't from the factory). I think you're on the right track to dial it back down. Plus, that M90 is known for heat soaking. General rule is, no more than 475 - 500 HP range on the stock engine.

Sounds like the previous owner sank some money in to it, so you're golden there. Strange that it doesn't have the leather upholstery. I knew it was an option, but I've never seen a 427 without it. Kinda rare, so it was likely a special order (as opposed to a dealer stock Roush, like mine was... along with four others that sat on the lot for a year at Galpin Ford).

Enjoy!
Old 11-01-2016, 11:14 PM
Project07Roush

Yeah I am pretty stoked. Called tuner today to try to set up a day to get it tuned but I haven't heard back. Hopefully Thursday it will be tuned. The other day I compiled a list of everything that my eye could see that's done to it (looked under and through it), and it added up to close to 3.5k in chassis mods alone! I also found out it has a red clutch (not sure of brand), steeda driveshaft safety loop, steeda aluminum driveshaft, BMR tubular k member, BMR adjustable a arms, steeda lower control arms, and BMR subframe connectors. The thing is stout, and it drives perfect. I was afraid of why it was so cheap at first, but I haven't found anything at all other than the small things, wrong with it. I love the thing. As per having the stock m90, it does, but the intercooler is aftermarket I believe, and the pump is aftermarket also. I don't know how it's pushing so much boost, and it almost never heatsoaks. Will a pulley alone make it push that much boost? It's a pulley that measures 2.75" across
Old 11-04-2016, 09:13 AM
Project07Roush

Got new rear tires and a dynotune yesterday. Made 465rwhp and 460rwtq. He detuned it to 450rwhp and I think it was like 430rwtq. Anyways, I found out it's cammed by the way he said previous tune was written, and it also has 3.73 gears! Fuel cut was fixed by bypassing the Hobbs switch so that the boost a pump continuously runs
Old 11-04-2016, 09:14 AM
Project07Roush

That was at 9.8lbs boost
Old 11-05-2016, 09:35 PM
Project07Roush

Fuel cut issue was boost a pump Hobbs switch. Bypassed it and got dyno tuned at 465rwhp and 460rwtq. Found out I have cams and 3.73 gears also. Replaced shifter bushing today and that was my shifting issue so all is great now!