Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Hood Shakes At High Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 08:20 PM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

Default Hood Shakes At High Speeds

Just got back from the Hot Rod Power Tour, did the last leg and put about 1,200 miles on the girl.

Anyways I noticed a good amount of hood shake on the highway, speeds between 70-85.

Turbulence from semis and vans would make it a lot worse.

I pulled over a few times, adjusted the latch and bumps.

If I get it all lined up like butter it shakes like hell at high speeds. If I drop the latch and raise the bumps, the alignment is a little off but not near as much shake in it.

Ahh, just frustrating. Got me thinking about tossing some hood pins on it.

Anyone else notice any shaky shaky?
Old 06-20-2016, 02:40 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

When the hood is latched can you rattle it a little if you hold on the front sides of the hood & shake them up & down. Sounds like you don't have enough tension between the hood latch & the adjustable bumpers the hood rests on. I suspect the front corners of the hood need to be drawn down tighter on the bumpers/spacers. Maybe they are out of adjustment & the bumpers need to be replaced. When the hood is latched it should feel rock solid & it should take a little effort to unlock the hood latch. I may If you can't get it, take it by a body shop & they can likely adjust it or tell you what's wrong. I may be all wet as I'm just going on building a lot of old Chevies!
Old 06-20-2016, 09:13 AM
Jay-rod427
3rd Gear Member

Same problem on mine. As Mr. D said adjust the rubber stoppers. Turn the front two out half a turn at a time until it goes away, or drastically reduces. Worked like a charm on mine.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:16 AM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

Yep definitely helps but not a cure all.

I still get a shake at high speeds, 70+ with the bumps tight and hood aligned properly.

Normal around town driving won't do it, only at high speeds on the highway in turbulence.

Like I said before, I can lower the latch and turn the bumps up, the shake will go away, almost completely at very high speeds, but alignment of the hood is off.

I may toss the heat extractor vents on it and see if the added air flow helps.

Last edited by -SHIFTY-; 06-22-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:59 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

This has been a problem since 05. There isn't anyway to eliminate it, you can adjust the stops, add a hoodscoop, or hoodpins to control it but it will always be there to some degree.

It has to do with the thinness of the aluminum.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:48 AM
SSlayer

installed hood shocks,helps support hood sides,100 bucks and looks cool
Old 01-23-2017, 11:11 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
This has been a problem since 05. There isn't anyway to eliminate it, you can adjust the stops, add a hoodscoop, or hoodpins to control it but it will always be there to some degree.

This is the correct answer.^^^^^^^^
Old 02-15-2017, 01:36 PM
POOKA85

Default Hood shake fix

I found cutting out the honeycomb vents in the hood let's out maybe 20-30 percent more engine compartment air. Now high speeds,winds and semi passing has minimal hood shake...was violent before.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:16 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS

Unless OP's hood is actually misaligned, it was never an actual "problem" rather than a perception. I don't know about pre-99 but the new edges also had a composite hood that wobbled at freeway speeds.
A professor I had in college had a story about that exact thing when he worked on a carbon fiber station wagon for ford in the 80's; the marketing and focus groupd people couldn't get over things like hood wobble and doors that felt less "sturdy" even though it was just as safe and had superior performance and mileage than the steel bodied equivalent. People still think cars from the 60's are safer than modern cars for the same false reasons.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:49 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Hood struts reportedly help a lot and get rid of using the basic rod to hold the hood up.

Quick Reply: Hood Shakes At High Speeds