Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

1967 Coyote Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 01:48 PM
mrtleavitt

Default 1967 Coyote Exhaust

Figured since the motor was a Coyote 5.0 that it belonged here. I posted this in a classic mustang forum but the result weren't very applicable since all of the replies were dealing with push rod motors. I copied and pasted my concerns to help you understand my situation. My main question is if I add resonators will it help with my drone problem? Or does anyone know of other solutions I could try? I know my setup will be a little different since the mufflers aren't at the tail end of the system. I know everything typically quiets the overall tone like cats, resonators, & mufflers. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

My initial post from a few days ago:

So after ignoring my gut feeling, I'm ditching the flowmaster series 50 delta flow mufflers. I knew better not to use flowmaster again but the exhaust shop talked me into it since that's all they had on hand. I purchased some Borla Pro XS mufflers and I'm going to make the trip into the city to get them swapped in. My current setup is Coyote 5.0 with dual 3" exhaust, X-Pipe, dual Flowmaster mufflers, 4" tail pipes exit in rear valance cutouts. The reason I'm changing is that there is drone just about everywhere in the RPM range and my 31 year old ears have gone "old man" on me and I want a quieter ride, but still a nice rumble. I have hundreds of $$$ in dynomat so it's not an issue of insulation.

This isn't a question about which muffler or x-pipe vs h-pipe, or anything else. It's simply about resonators. If anyone has experience of simply adding resonators to an existing system I'd like to know if the volume/tone/etc changed very much. I'd like to do this exhaust thing one final time. I'm a bit worried that the muffler swap to the Borlas won't be noticeable enough and that I should grab some borla resonators. I know a lot of modern day cars have resonators + cats + mufflers. Any input is always appreciated. Thanks everyone!

My post from yesterday:

---Update--- Well just swapped mufflers and drove the 60 miles home. Sounds just a hair quieter and still drones. It did decrease drone a little, but not much. I guess I will order some resonators and keep my fingers crossed. I downloaded a decible meter app on my way home and was getting between 75-76 (I'm sure my phone isn't as accurate as an actual decible meter). Have any of you checked decibles in your car? My thoughts are that the resonators won't do as much as I'm looking for but it's worth a shot.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:29 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

I believe part of your drone issue is the fact the mufflers are in front of the rear axle and putting resonators on isn't going to make much difference. You just need a quieter muffler. Don't know which Borla you installed but there can be a huge difference in sound. Did you install cats for the engine as you should have? Cats would make a minor difference, especially stock cats. I have a 2016 5.0 with Borla exhaust. At first I was annoyed with the raspy louder sound under WOT but the car was really quiet cruising. I installed a Borla resonator to pull out some of the raspy sound and got a minor drone because the muffler was in place of the X-pipe under the passenger compartment. It was annoying enough that I went back to the X-pipe and crazy as it sounds, the car is way quieter cruising and nasty loud in a good way under throttle.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:32 AM
mrtleavitt

Thanks for the reply proeagles. The borla pro XS is one of the quietest mufflers available. I'm really surprised that there was so little difference between the Flowmaster series 50 and the borla. As far as cats go, the coyote crate engines and computer from Ford Racing are designed NOT to run cats. There is no reason to install cats on something that doesn't need them. The only thing they are for are emissions and in a 1967 car they are not required. I'm sure they tone the sound down a little but to my knowledge a resonator will do the exact same thing.

As I left the exhaust shop, the owner told me that we could scrap the 3" exhaust and go for a full 2.5" exhaust. He said that should help out quite a bit. It stinks because everyone is telling me it "should" help. So far borla has been completely wrong about that when they promised me that the muffler change would be night and day. I don't really want to throw another $500 at the car for to change to 2.5" exhaust and new mufflers just because it "should" or "might" fix the problem but I want to get this figured out since I'm probably going to have the car for 30 years.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:04 PM
User 92421
IN JAIL!

put something near the tip like a flowmaster super 10. your drone is caused by the mufflers being too far forward to be effective at cruising rpms, they are doing a little "muffling" but you need something back further, i think a super 10 would be just the ticket, hang it just before the tailpipe turnout.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:16 PM
david borla

We have a solution for your drone issue. We created a muffler pair specifically for the Coyote and it greatly reduces, or even completely eliminates drone on the Coyote. These are NOT universal mufflers but rather mufflers specific to the Coyote only. You can find them here - https://www.borla.com/products/mufflers/cratemufflers/

Select "Ford" and then "Coyote" - Choose your inlet/outlet configuration and you're good to go.

Video here -

If you have any questions please send me an email at davidb@borla.com

These are the only Coyote specific mufflers available. Again they are NOT universal mufflers.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:53 PM
mrtleavitt

David I have a few problems. My current exhaust is all 3". The crate mufflers only offer 2.5" which I'm not really fond of. I've called borla several times to talk about solutions. I was told that the Borla Pro XS would "greatly reduce, or even completely eliminate drone" and that did not happen. When I called yesterday the fella I spoke to said that these modular motors will drone unless you go with stock style mufflers. He was very honest and straight forward with me. I'm not going to purchase 2 crate mufflers at $250 each just to HOPE that they will "greatly reduce, or even completely eliminate drone", because when they don't I'm right back where I started and out $500+. I haven't seen any reviews since the products are fairly new so I don't have any proven results. If you could promise me that they will eliminate drone and offer 100% refund plus labor costs then count me in. But until that happens I'm not going to do anything else with Borla.

Now, what I am thinking of doing is this. After seeing all the satisfied customers with GT500 mufflers, I think if I do scrap my 3" and go to a 2.5" exhaust I can probably make them work. I will probably have to settle for an H pipe instead of an X pipe which sounds like it doesn't matter too much anyways. The problem I face is that I need an offset in/center out muffler. The Gt500 are offset in/ offset out but if I go to 2.5" pipe then I can probably get tight enough bends (and won't restrict much) compared to the 3" I have now.

If anyone has some of the following info for me I'd appreciate it:

1. What is the physical dimensions of a GT500 muffler?

2. New mustangs have mufflers at the rear of the car, mine will have to go before the axle...will this cause them to be louder and/or drone?

3. I've heard that new mustangs are 2.75 exhaust and they change to different sizes through out the system...anyone have a good answer for the size of the stock exhaust?

4. If I do go 2.5" exhaust and adapt to the 2.75 GT500 mufflers, will I cause a power restriction compared to my current 3" exhaust? (I don't plan on any power adders as I'm content with the 450hp I now have, plus I have no cats)

5. Anyone selling a pair of mufflers or know of the best place to buy them? I see American Muscle has them for $406.99, is that probably the best price I will find for new ones?

Again I appreciate everyones responses and your efforts in helping me. Seems like a great community here.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:01 PM
User 92421
IN JAIL!

Originally Posted by mrtleavitt
David I have a few problems. My current exhaust is all 3". The crate mufflers only offer 2.5" which I'm not really fond of. I've called borla several times to talk about solutions. I was told that the Borla Pro XS would "greatly reduce, or even completely eliminate drone" and that did not happen. When I called yesterday the fella I spoke to said that these modular motors will drone unless you go with stock style mufflers. He was very honest and straight forward with me. I'm not going to purchase 2 crate mufflers at $250 each just to HOPE that they will "greatly reduce, or even completely eliminate drone", because when they don't I'm right back where I started and out $500+. I haven't seen any reviews since the products are fairly new so I don't have any proven results. If you could promise me that they will eliminate drone and offer 100% refund plus labor costs then count me in. But until that happens I'm not going to do anything else with Borla.

Now, what I am thinking of doing is this. After seeing all the satisfied customers with GT500 mufflers, I think if I do scrap my 3" and go to a 2.5" exhaust I can probably make them work. I will probably have to settle for an H pipe instead of an X pipe which sounds like it doesn't matter too much anyways. The problem I face is that I need an offset in/center out muffler. The Gt500 are offset in/ offset out but if I go to 2.5" pipe then I can probably get tight enough bends (and won't restrict much) compared to the 3" I have now.

If anyone has some of the following info for me I'd appreciate it:

1. What is the physical dimensions of a GT500 muffler?

2. New mustangs have mufflers at the rear of the car, mine will have to go before the axle...will this cause them to be louder and/or drone?

3. I've heard that new mustangs are 2.75 exhaust and they change to different sizes through out the system...anyone have a good answer for the size of the stock exhaust?

4. If I do go 2.5" exhaust and adapt to the 2.75 GT500 mufflers, will I cause a power restriction compared to my current 3" exhaust? (I don't plan on any power adders as I'm content with the 450hp I now have, plus I have no cats)

5. Anyone selling a pair of mufflers or know of the best place to buy them? I see American Muscle has them for $406.99, is that probably the best price I will find for new ones?

Again I appreciate everyones responses and your efforts in helping me. Seems like a great community here.

1. IDK
2. yes more drone
3. size likely has alot to do with velocity and bends
4. probably not
5. American muscle is usually competetively priced and that price is pretty reasonable
Old 09-16-2016, 03:08 PM
david borla

No one should be telling you that any universal mufflers are going to reduce or eliminate drone on a Coyote, especially my guys. They know it takes a very precise internal muffler configuration to tune out the specific frequencies which cause this motor to drone in the way that it does. Do I understand correctly that you purchased our ProXS mufflers based on a recommendation from someone here that they would tune out drone on a Coyote? If so, I'd like to buy those mufflers back from you because this was a major mistake on our part. That person should have only recommended our Coyote-specific mufflers which were developed to eliminate drone on Coyote builds because that was the entire impetus for making these mufflers and it's frustrating that we would go through all the trouble to deliver a product that meets your exact needs only to have one of our team members recommend something different.

My guys are well aware that drone can be eliminated on that motor, or any motor for that matter, with the right internal muffler technology so the notion that "modular motors will drone unless you go with stock style mufflers" is absolutely incorrect. Do you remember the name of the person you spoke with here that told you that? If so, please let me know so I can ensure this doesn't happen to someone else.

Many top car builders are now using our Cratemufflers for high profile builds so I'm sure over time that this community will gain confidence that our engine specific Cratemufflers will do the same for your builds that they do for theirs. These are revolutionary mufflers in the sense that they are not universal and instead are meant for one engine, and one engine only. You have to get that specific to eliminate drone. Once you experience them you'll understand. Especially if you're using them to replace universal mufflers, it's a night and day difference.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:19 PM
mrtleavitt

Originally Posted by david borla
No one should be telling you that any universal mufflers are going to reduce or eliminate drone on a Coyote, especially my guys. They know it takes a very precise internal muffler configuration to tune out the specific frequencies which cause this motor to drone in the way that it does. Do I understand correctly that you purchased our ProXS mufflers based on a recommendation from someone here that they would tune out drone on a Coyote? If so, I'd like to buy those mufflers back from you because this was a major mistake on our part. That person should have only recommended our Coyote-specific mufflers which were developed to eliminate drone on Coyote builds because that was the entire impetus for making these mufflers and it's frustrating that we would go through all the trouble to deliver a product that meets your exact needs only to have one of our team members recommend something different.

My guys are well aware that drone can be eliminated on that motor, or any motor for that matter, with the right internal muffler technology so the notion that "modular motors will drone unless you go with stock style mufflers" is absolutely incorrect. Do you remember the name of the person you spoke with here that told you that? If so, please let me know so I can ensure this doesn't happen to someone else.

Many top car builders are now using our Cratemufflers for high profile builds so I'm sure over time that this community will gain confidence that our engine specific Cratemufflers will do the same for your builds that they do for theirs. These are revolutionary mufflers in the sense that they are not universal and instead are meant for one engine, and one engine only. You have to get that specific to eliminate drone. Once you experience them you'll understand. Especially if you're using them to replace universal mufflers, it's a night and day difference.
Yes I did purchase the pro xs mufflers due to a recommendation from one of the people I called at the borla tech line. I don't remember his name. However i do have the name of the guy who told me about the stock muffler setup. I have it written down at home and I will send that via private message.

If you will buy those mufflers back from me I would be very appreciative of that. If you do that, I will use that money towards some crate mufflers and we can put this issue to bed (fingers crossed). Please pm me so we can proceed. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:25 PM
david borla

Yes I did purchase the pro xs mufflers due to a recommendation from one of the people I called at the borla tech line. I don't remember his name. However i do have the name of the guy who told me about the stock muffler setup. I have it written down at home and I will send that via private message.

If you will buy those mufflers back from me I would be very appreciative of that. If you do that, I will use that money towards some crate mufflers and we can put this issue to bed (fingers crossed). Please pm me so we can proceed. Thanks for your help.
Just sent you a PM. Cheers.

Quick Reply: 1967 Coyote Exhaust