Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Anyone know well about auto-transmission valve body?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 11:13 PM
temtoy

Default Anyone know well about auto-transmission valve body?

Hi, my ride is 07 v6 conv. automatic-transmission.

Since last year, my ride have problem with transmission.
At that time, problem was reverse. When switch to reverse, car are moving but repeatedly shock(feels like stuck). Fine forward, no slip, shift perfect.
So, I did replace valve body to re-manufactured valve body.
(only valve body, not solenoid pack)
And then, problem was solved short times...

Some days later, another problem has come. Forward.

When normal drive, push the brake to stop, speed are going 0. At that time inside transmission gear are switch to neutral to avoid engine stop.
After stop or push the accelerator, gear must be forward immediately.
but delayed. Maybe, more than 10 second need to switch to forward.
If push the accelerator short time,(like making some pressure to somewhere) it switch to forward from neutral with little shock.

So, I take out valve body, check if there any sludge or damaged part.
With in my eyes, everything seems fine. So, just in case, only disassemble one valve and re-assemble it.(related forward).

After that my reverse are completely gone. Switch to reverse, it has power. But, only little power to reverse move. Push to accelerator, rpm is going high but like neutral. Like low ATF(ATF level is fine). Forward are still have problem as i write above, but it's ok to move forward. 1st to 5th gear are work.
Hours ago, my friends has call to me(he are mechanic) and says "Lift my car, switch to reverse, tire are move reverse weakly in air. after some second, reverse are work with strong shock. After this, switch to reverse works. But delayed seconds and comes strong shock"

Is there anyone comment for me to solve this situation?
Should I buy new or completed and reliable re-manufactured valve body?

Thanks for reading this written in bad english. I'm not good at english.
Cause I'm Korean and live Korea. So hard to maintenance and buy parts.
Need your help. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:51 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Ford 5R55S automatic transmission is known for problems.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:39 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by movielover40
Ford 5R55S automatic transmission is known for problems.
So helpful movielover40....

OP, I didn't see where you mentioned cleaning the Reverse Servo when the Valve Body was removed/replaced and after inspecting it the second time around? The reverse servo is almost entirely responsible for the initial reverse problem you described. It has poor fluid flow and most often gets gummed up with sludge which slows it's reaction.

To improve the shifting characteristics of it often involves opening the servo up and cleaning it out thoroughly. In some severe cases you will need to replace the diaphragm inside of it and/or the valve if it's worn out.

http://www.sonnax.com/articles/369-f...elayed-reverse
http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4c3eda88.jpg - bolts labeled 'G' are the ones that require removal to remove the Reverse servo.
These images are best to see how the servo comes apart and is put back together.

Also, if you're going to spend the money and time to replace the valve body, you should also replace the Solenoid Pack. How is your mechanic checking the fluid level? Low fluid level would be likely cause for the forward shifting issues you were having.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone know well about auto-transmission valve body?-5r55srearservo_zps00edd792-1-.jpg   Anyone know well about auto-transmission valve body?-5r55srearservo2_zpsc30364c5-1-.jpg  
Old 01-13-2017, 01:25 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

Good information there Derf00.
Here'e a website I found. You may want to contact these folks to ask some questions.
http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com/
Old 01-13-2017, 10:45 PM
temtoy

thanks all.
When I replace valve body, I cleaned Reverse Servo and change the valve inside.(At that time, It looks clean.) So, Last time I re-assemble the valve body, I didn't check Reverse Servo status.

Actually, I wonder ATF level... AFter Derf00 mentioned about ATF level, I searched how to level it. ( http://www.americanmuscle.com/motorc...t-install.html ) ha.. Maybe ATF is little low. Because, when I adding ATF, engine was stopped. And final leveling, ATF temperature was about 70~80'C.

I should study more about 5R55S transmission. I think there's more need to know.
And I will trying to re-supplying ATF... My reverse was still gone.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:38 AM
don-ohio
1st Gear Member

Yes,you are 2 qts+ low if you didn't add the fluid while engine running on hoist like recommended. Happened to me. don-ohio
Old 03-01-2017, 12:44 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

For the reverse on my car as soon as I start it - I put it in reverse and it works perfect.

I've been driving it like that for 4 years and it hasn't gotten any worse.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:35 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by temtoy
thanks all.
When I replace valve body, I cleaned Reverse Servo and change the valve inside.(At that time, It looks clean.) So, Last time I re-assemble the valve body, I didn't check Reverse Servo status.

Actually, I wonder ATF level... AFter Derf00 mentioned about ATF level, I searched how to level it. ( http://www.americanmuscle.com/motorc...t-install.html ) ha.. Maybe ATF is little low. Because, when I adding ATF, engine was stopped. And final leveling, ATF temperature was about 70~80'C.

I should study more about 5R55S transmission. I think there's more need to know.
And I will trying to re-supplying ATF... My reverse was still gone.
Yes, as Don-Ohio mentioned and as stated by American Muscles guide, if you didn't check the fluid level with the engine running (tranny pump running) your fluid level will be low. Check it the correct way and top it off the correct way, then let us know what problems, if any, still exist.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:04 AM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

I had the same exact problem this January.

1st gear and reverse are both handled by the low/reverse servo.

The servobore fix is only for the intermediate servo and overdrive servo.

Turned out my fluid level was 2 quarts low, and also the low/reverse servo wasn't completely locked/assembled correctly. The 2 housing halves rotated apart over time.

Sadly, both of those problems were caused when the dealer replaced my transmission under warranty a few years ago.

Somehow, I had been ok for quite a few miles until things started acting up.

I suspect it was marginal for quite a while until it got really bad all of a sudden. I started to hear a faint whine in the trans a few months before the low/reverse engagement problem this year.

I took stuff apart to check and clean the solenoid pack, valve body, and low/reverse servo.

Also checked the bands and band anchors. They can break if there's too much banging, or burn if there's slippage.

While I had things apart, I installed a TransGo valve body shift kit and did the thermostatic valve mod. Then put it all back together correctly and made sure to have the trans at the right temp for fluid level check.

Works good now.

p.s. For people new to working on this trans, there is a 10mm bolt on the outside of the trans securing the solenoid pack from above. Took a flex head box rachet to get it out. Took me an hour under the car. Worst part of the job.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:06 AM
temtoy

Hi, thanks for opinion.
After posted, I'm decided to seal my stang and forgot. Spend 2 season with seal.

Time after time, my conclusion was heading to one. Transmission was gone.
Soon I'll start motor and check again. but nothing will happen or change.
(Actually, I didn't mentioned, I saw small peace of metal part when I re-assemble valve body. At that time, car was moved, so I'm ignored it.)

Now i'm considering 3 of cases.

Overhaul, Used or Remanufactured.

Overhaul, professional shop saying overhaul will take about $2,300.
Used part(if available) from junkyard cost may $1,100.(only part, but most cheap way)
Importing remanufactured mission, selling from amazon, this will take $2,200.
Except overhaul from pro.shop, extra service cost will charge.

And out of case, import repair parts(overhaul kit, valve body, solenoid pack) with $700 ~ $1,000 and take risk. If I did, need find local shop that can handle 5R55S mission.
This would be best If I did myself. But there is no way disconnect and lay down transmission myself.

What ever I choose, I'll take risk or cost.
If you guys was me, what's your choice?