General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Will motor oil eat up a piece of plastic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 11:53 AM
robinlynn

Default Will motor oil eat up a piece of plastic?

The oil filler tube is a little broken and I think a piece of it went down the filler tube (long time ago). What should I do? One mechanic said the oil will eat it up. I know I have to get the tube/cover replaced soon, but can anyone advise me or had this happened to them before??
Old 01-16-2017, 08:48 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

I think Ford would have chosen an oil resistant polymer to make that oil tube out of, so no, I doubt the engine oil will "eat it up". Having said that, the piece of plastic will probably just stay in the sump and cause no harm. The oil pump pick up screen will stop it getting into the oil pump or anywhere else in the system.

If it were my car I'd drain the oil through some window screen at the next oil change and see if it comes out with the old oil.

Last edited by WJBertrand; 01-17-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:12 AM
robinlynn

Default plastic piece

Thanks so much for the information. I have had the oil changed about 3 times since it happened so hopefully the plastic has already drained out. Also, the oil filler is broken some at the very top and I plan to get that replaced before too long, but the whole cover has to be replaced because it's made altogether. Ford quoted me $300, but a regular mechanic probably will be cheaper. I have heard some people don't even get their broken fillers replaced, but I am leary. What would you do?
Old 01-17-2017, 05:21 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

I'd get it fixed correctly. Besides the possibility of dirt getting in the engine if it's not sealing properly or if the cap is not screwing on securely, there is the possibility of oil getting blown out. Best case, there is an oil mess under the hood, worst case would be a potential engine fire.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:25 AM
robinlynn

Yikes.....I certainly will be checking with the right mechanic to get it replaced to prevent anything else happening. I don't need problems such as that, however it might be about a month before I can get it done. Thanks for the info.