Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

4cyl to 5.0 swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 09:54 AM
Alex98sc10

Default 4cyl to 5.0 swap

This thread is simple, ive purchased a 4cyl car with a good body with the intent of swapping a 5.0/5 speed into it. I am looking for any info/advice, or help from people who have done this swap. also, would like some input on chasing parts vs buying someones beat up crusty 5 speed car as a donor.

Ill also be using this thread to post pictures of the build once i start the swap (after the old junk is pulled that is, nobody wants to see a stock 4cyl car!), and ask questions when i inevitably get myself into trouble.

My primary tech related question for the swap (which may be better suited in a different tech section) would be carb vs efi, as i wont be too specific about that when hunting for my donor car, rather itll be a matter of setup and install, what would be smoother- efi or carb, and would it be worth finding an efi car and selling efi components to buy a carb and intake manifold, or being patient and finding one with the setup im going to use. emissions is not a consideration as i do not need the car to pass emissions in my state.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2017, 10:13 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I would go with buying the donor car.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:11 PM
gaslog4

Pretty much did this same swap...
Fox Body 4 cylinder to 5.0 HO, T5...
Very happy...Car is a 9.5 in all aspects...
Call if I can be of help...
Stan....919-614-7255
Old 11-09-2017, 11:44 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Nearly a year old now. If Alex98 went ahead, I'm certain questions would have by now appeared. gaslog4 did a good job, but jumped in late.

Meanwhile, my last big conversion, 5.0L HO into a '79 Ranchero, w/AOD, has become history.
imp