Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2007 GT headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 11:20 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Default 2007 GT headers

Which are the most affordable AMERICAN MADE headers out there?

I see chinese crap all over Ebay for less than 200 bucks but I know how that would end. That being said I can't really afford Kooks which would be my number 1 choice. Are there any modestly priced US made headers out there, long tubes by the way.

I see BBK, JBA, etc, which are about 1/2 the price of the Kooks, but are they US made and/or any good? There must be a reason some are 1,200 dollars and other 600.

Also, Is it really necessary to get the down pipe? Labor out here is extremely cheap, so if i can just cut the stock ones and put the flanges on them that would save me a lot of money, especially on shipping overseas.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:41 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I'm not sure what "downpipe" you are referring to. If you get a long tube header, you'll need a mid pipe and then also choose if you want a cat in it also.

The price variance relates to quality of the piece, but also how much R and D they put in to making the headers fit.

Some will make more power too.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:55 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

BBK's and MAC's are USA made but they're cheaper because they're plain steel.

JBA's are 409 stainless (so it will rust, but won't rust through...I think paint holds up better on them than on plain steel headers though). I thought they were made in either the US or Canada but I heard they are making them in Mexico now. My JBA's fit great in the engine bay but I had some fitment issues under the car (collectors are not aligned).

Anyway, if you're looking to go the off road route, I'm sure someone could cut the stock H pipe and make it into a shorty with flanges with some work. I don't know for sure if the width would be right but that shouldn't be too hard to fix. If I think of it I could lay out my cut-off stock H pipe with my JBA H pipe and see how close they are.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:06 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I've been looking at the BBK's, and yes, what I meant by downpipes was that if they were really necessary or I could just cut the OEM ones to length and mate them to the headers.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:36 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

I wonder how much it would cost to get the Mexican-made headers over Trump's new great wall?
Old 02-18-2017, 09:56 AM
rocky321
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
I wonder how much it would cost to get the Mexican-made headers over Trump's new great wall?
That's President Trump to you. And once he slaps them with a 35% tariff, you will be able to buy them cheaper in the good old US of A!
Old 02-19-2017, 10:43 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rocky321
That's President Trump to you.
Where's your sense of humor?

Originally Posted by rocky321
And once he slaps them with a 35% tariff, you will be able to buy them cheaper in the good old US of A!
That's assuming that the manufacturers relocate back to the good ole US of A. Even then they might have to hike their prices by 35% to cover the higher wage costs of US workers.

Last edited by Dino Dino Bambino; 02-19-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:05 AM
rocky321
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
Where's your sense of humor?

That's assuming that the manufacturers relocate back to the good ole US of A. Even then they might have to hike their prices by 35% to cover the higher wage costs of US workers.
I was replying in jest
Old 02-19-2017, 08:00 PM
BigBlueBomb

I know you're looking for long-tube, but just as a point of reference, I have had JBA shorty SS ceramic coated headers on my 2006 Roush for 10-years and they still look good.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:58 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I went with American Racing back 7 years ago or so and love them but they arent cheap. They are american made though and have held up great.

I see prices are tons higher now though. I paid $1100 i think for my setup with H pipe. That looks like over $1500 now for that setup.