Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

starter

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 10:24 AM
barrylink

Default starter

switching to a mini starter and i need schematic for it
Old 02-21-2017, 07:16 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'm terrible at drawing wiring schematics on the computer, but I can give you a run-down.

There are two ways to wire things up while keeping the fender-mounted factory starter solenoid:

1) Disconnect the battery cables! Move the existing starter power cable from the right lug (KOES +) on the fender solenoid to the left lug, and connect the other end of the cable to the large B+ lug on the starter motor. Run a small (12ga) wire from the right lug of the fender solenoid (KOES +) to the small S lug on the new starter solenoid.

This method supplies +12V to the starter at all times, using the fender solenoid as nothing more than an additional switch in the system to activate the starter solenoid. This is the method I used, and it's worked great for me for ~10yrs. However, there is a slightly increased risk of catastrophic failure of the cables/battery if the always-hot starter supply cable ever shorts to ground (melted by headers, rubbed on poorly insulated frame point, etc).

2) Disconnect the battery cables! Leave the starter power cable as is, attaching it to the large (B+) lug on the starter. Run a small (12ga) jumper wire from the B+ lug on the starter to the small S lug on the starter solenoid.

This method supplies +12V to the starter and starter solenoid only when the fender solenoid is engaged (KEOS), so it slightly decreases the chance of catastrophic battery/cable failure due to shorting the starter power cable to ground.

The cleaner method is to eliminate the fender solenoid entirely, but that requires some more intensive rewiring than I can explain here.

Key:
B+ - Battery positive
KOES - Key On Engine Start
Old 02-22-2017, 07:28 AM
barrylink

i found this
Old 02-22-2017, 07:36 AM
barrylink

the solenoid wire terminal must be connected to the "s" terminal on OEM solenoid , connecting it to "i" is not good as it will cause the starter to run continuously
Old 02-22-2017, 07:41 AM
barrylink

ford ,solenoid
Attached Thumbnails starter-terminal-is-the-start-ignition-power-monebtarily-volts-engine-full-ford-solenoid-wiring-diagram.jpg  
Old 02-22-2017, 12:29 PM
barrylink

hello all I,m pretty good at doing anything on my car and i reseach like a madman ,sometimes a little help sure is welcome! I am of the opinion that i may think I know a lot but i sure don't know everything! I welcome any ideas as I'm a true believer of work smarter not harder! I have proven to myself multiple times i can be a an idiot...lol
Old 02-22-2017, 09:40 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Those pics are the same as my #1 procedure