Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Damaged fuel line

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 08:06 PM
PotteryPal
1st Gear Member

Arrow Damaged fuel line

Fellow Members,

During my current project to replace the fuel tank I found a section of the fuel line near the chassis beam which appears to have been crushed from improper lifting of the vehicle.

My question is, Is it possible to remove a short segment of the fuel line where it is damaged and install some flexible fuel hose on a temporary basis until I can make time for a complete line replacement or EFI system in the future?

My plan was to disconnect the fuel line in the engine bay and clear the line with air prior to cutting the line with a hacksaw, so to avoid any issues with sparks.

What say you?

Old 02-21-2017, 09:35 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I don't see any problems with it. Obviously steel line is stronger and more resistant to physical damage, but fuel hose should work fine as long as you're using a mechanical fuel pump.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:40 PM
Gun Jam

If you can flair the ends that would probably be safe.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:08 PM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

The hose is under suction, so a flexible hose will work. Just don't put the jack there.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:52 PM
PotteryPal
1st Gear Member

This is the crushed fuel line I found. I removed the section pictured and ran a temporary fuel hose until I install my EFI.

The fuel line was more than 80% blocked.

I am surprised the car even ran at all. But, damn does it run good now. Noticeable improvement in power off the line.