Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Battery, now car won't start and key fob doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 10:36 AM
ramrod33

Default Replaced Battery, now car won't start and key fob doesn't work

My battery died over the winter. I just replaced it with a new battery and now the car will not crank. All electrical functions work (radio, lights, windows, etc...), but the car doesn't start. Also, the alarm key fob does not lock, unlock, or remote start the car. It is an automatic transmission in case the remote start raises that question. I tried 2 key fobs with new batteries. I'm thinking it may be some sort of alarm/theft protection because of the key fob, but who knows. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:01 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Maybe the key fob needs to be reprogrammed?
Old 02-26-2017, 10:13 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Do you have both original keyfobs?
Old 02-26-2017, 10:47 PM
ramrod33

I do have both original key fobs and original keys. They both worked before the car battery swap. Both key fobs have new batteries.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:53 PM
ramrod33

It is possible that the key fobs do need to be reprogrammed, but I am not sure how to do it. What I read was to turn the ignition on and off 8 times which is supposed to lock the doors and then allow reprogramming, but this does not work. This may not work because the original master keys do not work to start the car. It seems as though the key chips may need reprogramming.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:43 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Did that particular procedure also require the lock button to be pressed on the key remote while turning on/off the key 8 times? Thats how I reprogrammed the key fob on my 99 (from a youtube video I saw) but the newer cars may be different.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:28 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

If the reprogramming procedure did not work, you might have to take it to the dealer. I programmed two new keys on my 07 (the ones with the remote built in) and they both work fine. Now I have my original keys safely stored and just use the Ebay one. The procedure says to turn the key to the on position 8 times withing 10 seconds, ending in the on position, then press any key on all the remotes you want to program. Remember, it's the ON position, not ACC.