Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily Driver Tire Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 08:29 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default Daily Driver Tire Recommendations?

Hey guys,

I'm at a current dilemma with my tire situation. My car has only gone through 3 cycles of tires.

-Pirelli Pzero Neros. They weren't that grippy but lasted a long time

-Nitto N555. They were the popular tire at the time. I had them in staggered so couldn't rotate, and I know they will have a shorter life because of that... but those tires were just bad all the way around.

-Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. I loved these when new. I couldn't even break traction with them it seemed, and they were good in all weather. These tires were supposed to have the highest rating performance tire available. I think at the time I paid $330 each tire.

So my dilemma. I got 15,000 miles out of the Michelin, they are rated for 45,000. I had some inner wear on the front two tires that I did not notice, so those are down to the 2/32 wear bar. The rear tires are at 3/32. Michelin will only consider the fronts for warranty, but the rears will obviously need to be replaced at the same time. So first question, do I replace them all or wait until the rears are at 2/32 as well?

If I replace them all now... what tire recommendation do you guys give? I haven't tracked the car, it is a Daily Driver and I just need something that has reliable treadwear life and is going to stick when I need it to stick.

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:48 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

My car is going to be needing tires sometime this year.

Still have the factory Pirelli P-Zero's on it.

Been looking at the Continental - PureContact but haven't pulled the trigger on them yet.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:29 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I can't comment on the all seasons as I've never run any others on my car except for the set that came on the car when new (P Zero's) Didn't like them.

I prefer the Nitto NT555 summer tires. Grippy and do pretty well in rain even for a summer tire.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:03 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
I can't comment on the all seasons as I've never run any others on my car except for the set that came on the car when new (P Zero's) Didn't like them.

I prefer the Nitto NT555 summer tires. Grippy and do pretty well in rain even for a summer tire.
Thanks, I wasn't really a fan of the Nitto's so probably won't be getting those. I -loved- the Michelin's but I feel once they start wearing down they lose all of their good characteristics fast.

Michelin got back to me, and it would appear that the Tire place was trying to rip me off. Based on the warranty price alone I will probably try another set of the Michelin's, but these will be the Plus version because mine are discontinued.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:55 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Why not the non-all season MPSS? You aren't subject to temperatures much below freezing.

The first set of those I got have seen ten track days (about 1200 miles), been tracked in the pouring rain, and driven 4000+ street miles. Still less than half worn and should make it to 15,000 miles even with more track time. Minus the track time, I'm expecting closer to 30,000 miles out of each of the other two sets of MPSS that I'm also using (one set being my Mustang's DD tires and the other on the Subie as my wife's "3-season" tires).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-02-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:36 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Why not the non-all season MPSS? You aren't subject to temperatures much below freezing.
Norm
I guess mostly because I want them to last and the Super Sports have a worse treadwear rating. Are you saying the Super Sports would last longer than the A/S 3+ in the same driving conditions?
Old 03-04-2017, 10:54 PM
edcologne
2nd Gear Member

while pretty much daily driver I only do about 5-7k mls/year, oem 18" rims.

a few month ago I put a set of firestone firehawk indy 500's on and i'm quite happy with the performance, price and appearance combination.

I loved the Michelin ps a/s zp's on my c6, less variety and other considerations on runflats.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:10 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by edcologne
while pretty much daily driver I only do about 5-7k mls/year, oem 18" rims.

a few month ago I put a set of firestone firehawk indy 500's on and i'm quite happy with the performance, price and appearance combination.

I loved the Michelin ps a/s zp's on my c6, less variety and other considerations on runflats.
Yeah that is about all I drive as well. I did notice on TireRack the Firehawk's scored very high. #1 in Ultra Summer. I'm going to stick with the Michelin's one more time and hope they last longer, because I'm only paying $563 to have them installed with mount/balance/tax.

If the new A/S 3+ do not hold up to a respectable amount, then I will definitely seek something else out. I just replaced my A-Arms, Struts/Shocks, as well as basically everything in the rear. Going to get it aligned and then hopefully the car won't be an future issue, just the tires.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:40 PM
JimC

I really like the Nitto Motivo for an all season. Much better than the stock Pirelli.

The Nitto G2 was a great summer tire as well.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:00 AM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

My brother replaced the Pirelli's when i got my car with Nittos.
They work great for me as a DD, dry or in the rain;
Useless on ice/snow, tho haha
Attached Thumbnails Daily Driver Tire Recommendations?-photo4294966650.jpg