Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How to get a DEEPER exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 11:53 PM
jarmll

Default How to get a DEEPER exhaust?

I am completely new to 05+ Mustangs. I have owned several Fox bodies and SN95 Its and loved the same exhaust on them all... O/R H-pipe with Magnaflow mufflers (with the baffle NOT straight through). This combo gave a deep mellow exhaust note around town and wasn't raspy at all. Based on every sound clip I have heard on these 3V 4.6 cars this will not work on my 07 GT. So I need your help to find that beautiful combo again. I assume the O/R H will still be mandatory, but the catback with a deep sound seems to be eluding me...

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-26-2017, 10:20 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

o/r H pipe would still be the best option. I think the borla/FRPP stingers are still quite deep. Not as good as previous gen but the 3v is just not going to match those in the sound department IMO
Old 03-26-2017, 04:54 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Borla Stingers had a deep note on mine, they are a straight through design... I've got an old set laying around, changed things up for 3" exhaust.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:32 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I just got rid of the rear mounted mufflers and put some good old fashioned Cherry Bomb glasspacks right after the H pipe and the car sounds mean without being annoying. It does trigger the occasional car alarm but the sound at high RPM is what really makes me love this setup. That and the burbling when you lift off the gas. Plus it's cheap as dirt to do and zero restriction anywhere, well, except on the stock manifolds and catted down pipe, but those will go away soon enough.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:43 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jarmll
I am completely new to 05+ Mustangs. I have owned several Fox bodies and SN95 Its and loved the same exhaust on them all... O/R H-pipe with Magnaflow mufflers (with the baffle NOT straight through). This combo gave a deep mellow exhaust note around town and wasn't raspy at all. Based on every sound clip I have heard on these 3V 4.6 cars this will not work on my 07 GT. So I need your help to find that beautiful combo again. I assume the O/R H will still be mandatory, but the catback with a deep sound seems to be eluding me...

Thanks for your help!

I believe that what your are seeking is only found on cars with the mufflers in front of the rear axle. All the newer Mustangs have the mufflers after the rear axle.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:15 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash_xx
I just got rid of the rear mounted mufflers and put some good old fashioned Cherry Bomb glasspacks right after the H pipe and the car sounds mean without being annoying. It does trigger the occasional car alarm but the sound at high RPM is what really makes me love this setup. That and the burbling when you lift off the gas. Plus it's cheap as dirt to do and zero restriction anywhere, well, except on the stock manifolds and catted down pipe, but those will go away soon enough.
Originally Posted by proeagles
I believe that what your are seeking is only found on cars with the mufflers in front of the rear axle. All the newer Mustangs have the mufflers after the rear axle.
Agree here.

I put in Dynomax race bullets after the X pipe. I have Pype Bombs after the axle, but they don't do much.

Deep sound and burble off throttle. I like it.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:49 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I think the only thing that gives that sound are headers. My jba shorties changed the tone of mine drastically. I got compliments all the time. Sadly, they are just sitting on the shelf in my garage now.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:42 PM
Phil1098

Originally Posted by Simon1
I think the only thing that gives that sound are headers. My jba shorties changed the tone of mine drastically. I got compliments all the time. Sadly, they are just sitting on the shelf in my garage now.
+100 on this. I put on Kooks long tube headers, off road H and FR500 mufflers. With the Ford Hot Rod cams I get told all the time how wicked my car sounds. At idle it has a very deep rumble that sounds more like a drag car. Nothing prepared me for the sound the first time after the headers with ORH.

Last edited by Phil1098; 04-15-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:08 AM
spectreman
2nd Gear Member

What you need is a stock, '08-09 Bullitt H pipe & a set of Steeda exhausts (Borla S types only re-badged.) I had that set up on my former Bullitt and it was the best sounding car I've owned.

Luckily, I've got a set of Steeda cans coming off the car shortly and would be glad to part w/them, if'n you're interested. Lemme know.
Lee