Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Turn Signal and Brake Lights Stopped Working!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 11:15 PM
ark05

Smile Turn Signal and Brake Lights Stopped Working!

Hey everyone,

I have an '05 mustang v6 and I noticed that the right rear tail light no longer flashes with the turn signal/hazards or gets brighter with the brakes on. I thought the bulbs were out first, but the low light filaments come on when the headlights are on and all three wouldn't fail at the same time right? Also the right turn signal sound inside is now faster than the left. I've checked the connections at the tail light but I don't know what to check at the front of the car. Don't think I can afford to take it in to a shop so I really appreciate everyone's help!
Old 03-28-2017, 11:58 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Do a search on water leak and smart junction box. The SJB is in the front passenger right kick panel. Let us know if there are signs of moisture in the floor board.

Last edited by Buckshot Barry; 03-29-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:13 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Have you checked the fuses?

When the turn signal bulb is out, the turn signal will blink faster. It's set up to warn you that the turn signal bulb is out.

Are the front turn signal (amber lights) working or no?

If not, you will need to change with new bulb.

Also, pick up a few new tail light bulbs and start changing out the one side that blinks fast. Quick easy and cheap try.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by kevinmalec; 03-30-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:08 PM
ark05

Well a year ago I had that problem that can happen to mustangs where the drain below the windshield gets clogged so the cabin air filter sucks in buckets of rain and floods the front passenger floor... But there's no moisture now and I never had any electrical problems until now. From the manual I can't tell which fuses relate to the taillights or turn signals but I checked them all and they're good. I will try swapping out the bulbs in the right rear light just to make sure but this feels electrical to me. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2017, 06:11 PM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

If you get the "fast" turn signal sound, 99% of the time it's a bad bulb.
(one bad bulb spoils them all, like old xmas light bulbs)
i would guess a bulb needs replacing.
(& those bulbs get CRAZY hot, very quickly)
Old 04-02-2017, 02:53 PM
ark05

Update: You know how the first step in tech troubleshooting is to restart it, but people always skip that because they don't think it's the problem? Well I finally took everyone's advice to just replace the bulbs and that fixed everything! I'm sorry for doubting.

If anyone else is having a similar problem, the Mustang taillights are in fact wired in some sort of series combination. If multiple bulbs go out at the same time, the problem may still be a bad bulb!

Thanks everyone!