South AR, LA, MS, KY, TN, AL, GA, FL, NC, SC, WV, VA, DE, DC, MD

Emmission law in flordia

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:46 AM
STORMTROOPER92

Default Emmission law in flordia

is it illegal to remove your CAT from your exhaust in flordia??
Old 07-13-2009, 05:41 PM
mxg30
2nd Gear Member

Yes it is illegal. However there is no emissions checks in Florida. I remember when they did have them but with our sea breeze winds that daily cross the state might have had some reason to eliminate the checks and the state saved money as well. Probably had more to do with political favors or pressure. I and am sure many are running with out CATS. If you decide to do the same make sure you use MIL ELIMINATORS inline with your O2 sensor or included it in your tune. I'm no expert but I hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:41 AM
1fast05GT
3rd Gear Member

Is Illegal in any state.

According to federal law, catalytic converters may not be removed and replaced with "converter replacement pipes" by any person. The 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments even prohibit private individuals from installing "converter replacement pipes" on their own vehicles. Anyone who installs such pipes would violate the Clean Air Act. Some may think it's okay to remove a converter if they are offroading, but the law still provides you with the guidelines to follow. All manufacturers certify each engine and chassis configuration meet emission standards and cannot be de-certified by anyone for offroad use.

Like MXG30 said, here in FL we don't have emissions checks. You might want to save your Catalytic converters in case you want to trade in your car at a dealership. Some if not most will check for the emissions control equipment to be complete before taking a car in a trade in as it is illegal for them to sell the car without the emmisions equipment.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:27 AM
EODMustang
1st Gear Member

If you want to get rid of your cats, and you live in Florida, go for it. It is "illegal" (like that stops anybody), but if you're in Florida I wouldn't worry about it. I've lived in Missouri, Georgia, and Florida since I've had my Stang (cat-less), and it's never been a problem. Unless you are running straight pipes and your car is retarded loud you'll be fine. Just make sure you have a handheld tuner or a chip so you can turn off the ODB-II emissions crap so your O2 sensors won't make the ECU start throwing codes. Just buy a cat-less mid-pipe and install it yourself. It's easy.