Speed Density/Carb/SSP section This section is for the Speed Density or Carb vehicles, as well as Special Service Package 'Stangs

speed density

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:53 PM
stangbanger87
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: speed density

well my dad picked up an 88 gt in the summer that had been converted to maf and we are no in the process of converting it back to sd because of the poor performance the maf system is giveing the car , mine will flat out runit hands down . and all i have cai and ud's same as his. now lets talk .
Old 02-05-2008, 07:58 PM
nitrousd85
2nd Gear Member

shawnk i can only tell you guys running in this factory stock
run SD cam's now thats not completly Maf but hey i got the wheel rollin now its yer turn t o give it a push
Old 02-05-2008, 08:04 PM
shawnk007
2nd Gear Member

obviously u have another problem......but whatever......

ORIGINAL: stangbanger87

well my dad picked up an 88 gt in the summer that had been converted to maf and we are no in the process of converting it back to sd because of the poor performance the maf system is giveing the car , mine will flat out runit hands down . and all i have cai and ud's same as his. now lets talk .
Old 02-05-2008, 08:32 PM
stangbanger87
3rd Gear Member

ok first off why are we arguing over naf the reason the section was faught for was to get away from the coments of how sd guys need to convert to maf and here you are saying on the sd forum that we need to convert to maf because it is better . and as far as you calling people know it alls sounds like to me that you are the one on here trying to be the know it all because no matter what we say you always have to be right ! so go and convert your to maf and rerun all that wireing and change out your ecu and the money you have spent there i will have used the same cash and gained more hp and while you have converted yours to drop 20hp , makes good sense to me [sm=bicker.gif]so lets stop the arguing and try doing what this forum is intended to do and that is to help guys with sd/and carb issues and show them other ways to make hp with out conversion .
Old 02-05-2008, 09:19 PM
shawnk007
2nd Gear Member

Im not telling you to convert. Im simply saying that the change was made for a reason....
Old 02-05-2008, 10:03 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shawnk007

Ok.....Im not saying that SD cant be used in performance applications.... But there is a reason the switch to MAF was made..... Find me someone whos willing to convert their MAF system to SD, then we'll talk.....
Lucky for you we have a guy on the forum that did that switch with his '94 Cobra, AdderMK2, he's a very knowledgable individual
Old 02-05-2008, 10:04 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

ORIGINAL: shawnk007

Ok.....Im not saying that SD cant be used in performance applications.... But there is a reason the switch to MAF was made..... Find me someone whos willing to convert their MAF system to SD, then we'll talk.....
Lucky for you we have a guy on the forum that did that switch with his '94 Cobra, AdderMK2, he's a very knowledgable individual
game, set, and match

My car runs a speed density system... so what do you want to talk about
Old 02-06-2008, 12:02 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I can't think of any aftermarket EFI systems that are considered powerful, that are NOT SD. Megasquirt, FAST etc, are SD.

And technically speaking, MAF doesn't measure the amount of air entering and engine, but rather a set of parameters, just like SD. The MAF sensor has a filament in it, and voltage is applied to the filament to heat it to a given temp above ambient. From physics we know that the amount of temperature drop on an object is directly proportional to the mass of air flowing past it(hence the term mass air flow). When the air at a certain temp and pressure flows past the MAF sensor, it tries to cause a temperature drop, so voltage is increased to try to maintain the same temp above ambient, and based on the voltage change the computer calculates temperature drop, and the from the given temp drop(which is calculated) it calculates the mass of air. It still has lookup tables, once it has it's input parameters it adds the fuel based on what the tables say. With SD the computer is measuring changes in voltage/resistance from sensors. With MAF the computer is measuring changes in voltage/resistance from sensors. They both add fuel based on how they've been programmed.

From everything I've read, the manufacturers have only gone to MAF because they felt it would help with mileage and emissions. But many aftermarket EFI setups that are designed for serious power, are SD. MAF and SD aren't all that dis-similar, they both measure electrical changes as input parameters from sensors. Use good sensors, and a good computer, and tune the car right.....what's the difference?
Old 02-06-2008, 01:52 AM
nitrousd85
2nd Gear Member

well any way lets all just run our SD and Mass air guys have their section so they can stay there hows that now lets all have a nice warm cup of tea now isint that better
Old 02-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Speedy911
2nd Gear Member

Speed Density here, I will be using MegaSquirt soon.
No reason to change to MAF if you can get a complete standalone SD system for the same price.
The reason for the conversion is for boost purposes.

Quick Reply: speed density