Speed Density/Carb/SSP section This section is for the Speed Density or Carb vehicles, as well as Special Service Package 'Stangs

How far can SD really go.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 12:06 PM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

Default How far can SD really go.

Between me and my girlfriend we now have three stangs, an 87,88, and my 89 (yeah she has one more then me)

being that my 89 was MAF i never read far into the SD set ups and just thanked chance that i didnt have to worry about it.

Well now it would seem i need to know, so i was wondering how far can you take the stock SD system. What cams and heads work out to be SD friendly.

The 88 is a GT 5 speed, has headers, no cats, flowmasters, CAI (fenderwll mount, not my favorite but its there) i think upper and lower control arms have been upgraded and thats about it. Off my 89 i could donate (going to carb) it a typhoon upper and lower thats been port matched to itself and the head side ports have been cleaned up, and a tb (think its a 65mm) Do you guys think its worth throwin on the intake and tb?
Old 02-03-2009, 07:31 PM
JPJP
1st Gear Member

The SD doesn't care about the changes you want to do for improved air flow on the intake side. It also won't care about the heads. I recommend staying with the stock cam. Deviate from the cam and you may have drivability/idle problems.

If you have the intake parts definitely use them on the SD car. I just don't know how much it will help.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Az_bronco_rob

I'm interested in this topic as well. I've heard that there's a lot you can do as long as you don't put in a cam with to small a lobe separation that would cause a low vacuum. I've got a SD set-up in my 5.0 Ranger and I'm planning on building another one. I'm planning on leaving my first one pretty muck stock but when I build my next one I'm going to see where I can take the SD platform.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:56 PM
mustangjon

It has potential, just depends how far you want to take it, and what you consider driveable. I personally am about to seriously push the limits I'm amidst installing 10psi of of a v2 s-trim and see if I cant make it work. As stated anything other than cam is fine. Im running fully ported gt40 irons, shorty headers, o/h, ported xploder intake, 65mm tb, was running 24lb injectors pulled them back running 19's, 1.7 rollers. I'll keep you guys updated on the charger setup.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Night Terror
2nd Gear Member

SD requires a few things

good vacuum at idle (cam selection)

19lb injectors (computer is specifically set for the 19lbers, can be changed with a twEECer though)

Of course im most likely forgetting some **** but thats the two main basics, of course you want to make sure no vac leaks, and that all your sensors are good.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:34 PM
mustangjon

Talking

Originally Posted by Night Terror
SD requires a few things

good vacuum at idle (cam selection)

19lb injectors (computer is specifically set for the 19lbers, can be changed with a twEECer though)

Of course im most likely forgetting some **** but thats the two main basics, of course you want to make sure no vac leaks, and that all your sensors are good.

Well update and edit to that, Im still on stock computer, and i was running 24lb injectors NA and it ran fine for me, but i had to lower the fuel pressure a bit to make it run by feel ok, since i didnt have my wideband at the time. I now have the car up and running with the vortech on, and I even tossed on a set of 30lb injectors to see if it would work. Actually believe it or not the computer is seeming to be able to trim them with about 38 psi. I'm still working on the other end, I just took it down street to get into a little boost today to see what actions my a/f did and such. All was good other than needs a bit more fuel pressure tuning, and i forgot to put a check valve in the pcv line and pressurized the crankcase. With those issues resolved i will put the timing back in and open her up some more
Old 03-11-2009, 10:15 PM
hypersurf1
2nd Gear Member

Jon, keep us updated sounds great so far. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:31 PM
mustangjon

Well got the tach working, and took car up road for a real test run finally, pushed her pretty hard, well to 90 from a dig after i had did a few pushes. She's fun when boost comes in but its sitting at 15 degrees timing locked out atm. my passenger said boost made it about 7psi around 5500. no fiyah, and a/f looks great. With about 38psi fuel, 30lb injectors she idles at about 700 just fine. idles anywhere from about 12.5 -14.5 on af depending on load. Only negative thing from the trip was i had disconnected my pcv since I have the catch can setup. well apparently my crank still pressurized because it blew my pcv valve/grommet, the hose attached to it out, and of course subsequently oil.

So anyone that has boost i have a question, leave the vent tube from valve covers to the tb, or just cap it? its only place i can think, i could still be getting boost into the engine past blowby. My catch can setup vents both valve covers in the rear now.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:55 PM
JPJP
1st Gear Member

Cap the vent tube to the TB or bad (pressurized crankcase).

Even capped I was blowing the PCV grommet out. Use a good quality RTV and silicone it in. Mine hasn't blown out since.

I am running an older Paxton-SN supercharger on my '86 and runnning Speed Density.

Good to hear you are successfully running larger injectors on SD.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:56 PM
mustangjon

Yah i took that vent tube off, and fixed the problems no longer pressurizing the crankcase.
And I rtv'd the pcv valve and the grommet in, so far so good. put 50+ miles on without anything popping off or spewing out oil.

Well after putting about a hundred miles or so on the computer, it seems to be perfectly fine with the 30's . My wideband shows it right at 14.7 ish bouncing around as usual, at idle and cruise. Only thing I am/was having issues with, is if im kinda puttering around and try to step on it, sometimes it loads up first before it wants to go. But I have had the timing locked out at 10, then bumped to 15, and now put up to 18. Seeming to do better as I increase. I could probably regap the plugs a bit higher since i have an accel box, running at about 30 now, thinking of going to 35, I dont seem to have any spark blowout up top. Here is a clip to show the car in park idling, and a few revs. The car does a slight rolling idle when in park, but in gear it idles right at 650-700, purrs like a kitten and no roll.

http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/k...rent=007-9.flv

Quick Reply: How far can SD really go.