Speed Density/Carb/SSP section This section is for the Speed Density or Carb vehicles, as well as Special Service Package 'Stangs

Fuel Injection to carb setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

If you do a carb swap do it right! get rid of the entire efi fuel system, get a new fuel pump carb and intake, you can use the ecm and leave the timing spout out and run a set timing but that sucks, get a msd box ,coil and msd distributor and thats your ignition system, fuel system replacements( holley blue pump rubber lines from tank to regulator or braided hose then a regulator then a carb to fuel regulator setup) you can use a switch to activate the pump or the hot wire from the old harness. Efi fuel systems are small lines high fuel pressure and carbs like low pressure big supply.

other than that you should find it relatively easy to do the swap!
Old 05-18-2012, 11:23 AM
stangerator

i did the carb setup on a 1987 302 but for some reason the mechanical pump would not work. do i need a bigger eccentric because it not pumping any fuel? p.s the stock fuel pump in the tank has been taken out.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:34 AM
SmallblockPower

ThE fuel pump may be damaged. So you may need a new one anyway. Try an eccentric as well. Off of the engine.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangerator
i did the carb setup on a 1987 302 but for some reason the mechanical pump would not work. do i need a bigger eccentric because it not pumping any fuel? p.s the stock fuel pump in the tank has been taken out.
Get a freakin holley pump mechanical pumps are garbage end of point!!

A mechanical everything junk job is a headache in itself!!! do the right things the right way and you will need less liquor in the end!

YOU CANT BEAT AN ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP! unless you exceed about 1500hp then thats another monster in itself..

P.S if you took out the stock pump and think you will get anything below half a tank out without a mod then you screwed up!

Last edited by Venomantidote95; 05-28-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:05 PM
supergoslow

mechanical pumps are fine depending on application i've used them on numerous cars without problems.

Now i have a holley red electric in my 86 though and i like it.. just a little more expensive.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:01 AM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by supergoslow
mechanical pumps are fine depending on application i've used them on numerous cars without problems.

Now i have a holley red electric in my 86 though and i like it.. just a little more expensive.
Well there you go enough said lol!
Old 07-29-2012, 07:04 AM
supergoslow

Originally Posted by Venomantidote95
Well there you go enough said lol!

Old 08-05-2012, 07:30 AM
wydopnthrtl
2nd Gear Member

I'm considering the same swap.

Tell me more about how to do the ignition system properly. I plan on buying a new distributor anyway.. which one would be the best to buy? (I'd like to keep ignition parts under $500 total)
Old 08-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

To do it right is a matter of opinion, you can use the ecm and stock dis but it only works so good then flops, a 6a box, magnetic msd distributor and a retard box for max benefit! 6a controls the ignition spark, fix the dis to max timimg your application likes then use the retard box for cranking ease!
Old 08-12-2012, 10:43 AM
stangerator

heres the thing. when i first got the car it had the stock pump in the tank along with an aftermarket electric feul pump mounted on the firewall of the engine bay and was carberated so it had no feul pressure. so i stripped the whole feul system. i stripped the tank and ran a direct feed with 3/8 feul line up to the motor where i put the manual feul pump on with the new timing cover with the boss port for the mecanical feul pump witch everyone knows is how you have to insatall them. so from there that is where i was having the problems of not getting feul pressure. at the time i was only getting 1psi of feul. i bought many feul pumps and eccentrics to try and fix the problem. finally about a week ago i was able to find a bigger eccentric and now have great feul pressure and the car runs great. the only thing is that the eccentric is rubbing on to the timming cover and groved it out on the inside. is this ok with a magnetic drain plug or should i try to find a larger timing cover?

Quick Reply: Fuel Injection to carb setup