StangSuspension.com Your source for late model Ford Mustang suspension parts and performance!

Question about Eibachs

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 03:19 PM
andradesketch

Default Question about Eibachs

I currently have the Eibach sportline on my 04 mach 1 with the shocks that it came with. My question is about a sound I hear all the time, it sounds like a "clunk" toward the front end of the car. The reason I think it's my suspension is becuase it happens with any texture or bump on the road. I've been told that it might be my shocks but I really don't know. Also I do want to get new shocks and I would love your opinion on which would be best for my car? I don't drag race I just need something for the street, comfortable and good handling. Thank you.
-David
Old 10-25-2008, 02:04 PM
STANGSUSPENSION
Former Sponsor

It could be a number of things, I'll break my suggestions into two parts.

Part 1 - If the clunk is related to the Eibach Sportlines...

The probable cause is that the Tokico struts you have in the car from the factory are only designed for the factory ride height, or slightly below. The Eibach Sportlines although lower a very excessive amount. So much so, that the struts can actually "bottom out", which means the strut piston is traveling all the way to the bottom of the strut body and hitting.

The solution would be to install 87-93 model new Tokico struts. Which is the most recommended strut to use with excessively lowered 94-04 Mustangs. The 87-93 Tokico's are slightly shorter in length and allow for more strut travel, and will not bottom out.

Another suggestion is to use CC plates. Aftermarket CC plates have spacers that move the strut up, further towards the hood of the car. This also allows for more strut travel.

Part 2 - If the clunk is something else...

1. could be a broken swaybar endlink
2. worn out balljoints
3. worn out swaybar pivot bushings
4. worn out tie rod ends
5. worn strut mount
6. worn struts in general
Old 10-25-2008, 08:39 PM
andradesketch

Wow, I really appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. I will definitely get these areas checked to see if any are the cause of the "clunk." Thank you once again.