Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Finally Dynoed the 5.0!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 06:32 PM
stanger88
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Finally Dynoed the 5.0!!!

What can I say? Its not a lot of mods, the only real power-makers are the GT40P's and the X303 cam. I made 50whp more than most stock 5.0s' I have always heard GT40P's are worth about 25hp over stock and the X cam is worth another 10+ it re-arranges your power band. Thats 35hp from heads/cam and the other 15 from bolt-ons minus my extra drivetrain losses for having a tranny that will hold 500# tq. and is heavy as **** internally. I think its right on par, but you all are entitled to your opinions as well.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:35 PM
stanger88
I ♥ Acer

Either way, LS1 time , the Ford has been fun, but I am bored of it and I have tried the F-body and now the mustang. I am ready to make a final decision and buy one in their final forms (New Edge(I cant swing an 05) or LS1). I choose the F-body.

PS. My advice to everyone. DO NOT BUY A CRATE MOTOR!!!! They normally dyno lower than you would think based on their claimed numbers. The ONLY crate motor I will ever buy again is a GM or FRPP crate motor or one from Jay Dickens, Scott Schifferof, or Keith Craft Racing!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 06:36 PM
stanger88
I ♥ Acer

I have a friend who bought a 383 with performer heads and it makes like 320whp. He is irritated too. He did not buy it from GM or any ESTABLISHED builder (at least I bought mine from a company that had been around since the 70's...still got screwed if I am to belive you guys).
Old 10-17-2006, 06:41 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

i just don't get why you switched over to carb... and an X-cam sounds out of your league with those mods. you should've stuck with FI and a B or E cam with those heads (if you absolutely HAD to stick with the alphabet cams) and invest in a nice edelbrock or trick flow intake, you'd be putting down some decent numbers and decent times at the track. no wonder you've lost faith in ford with a set-up like that, i don't blame you for wanting to go with an LS1, very nice engine, very responsive to mods... but i think you could've been happy with the fox if you would've done it right.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:48 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Enjoy the camaro or t/a both are fun cars with a lot of *****
Old 10-17-2006, 06:55 PM
fishyducky
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HC_CrAzYHoRsE

244rwhp from all those mods !?

LOL!
Old 10-17-2006, 07:07 PM
stanger88
I ♥ Acer

i just don't get why you switched over to carb... and an X-cam sounds out of your league with those mods. you should've stuck with FI and a B or E cam with those heads (if you absolutely HAD to stick with the alphabet cams) and invest in a nice edelbrock or trick flow intake, you'd be putting down some decent numbers and decent times at the track. no wonder you've lost faith in ford with a set-up like that, i don't blame you for wanting to go with an LS1, very nice engine, very responsive to mods... but i think you could've been happy with the fox if you would've done it right.
I have an RPM intake. I would not be happy with the Fox, its weak power is NOT why I am selling, its just an out-dated platform with too many problems. (some inherent, some due to being almost as old as I am).
Old 10-17-2006, 07:18 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: stanger88

What can I say? Its not a lot of mods, the only real power-makers are the GT40P's and the X303 cam. I made 50whp more than most stock 5.0s' I have always heard GT40P's are worth about 25hp over stock and the X cam is worth another 10+ it re-arranges your power band. Thats 35hp from heads/cam and the other 15 from bolt-ons minus my extra drivetrain losses for having a tranny that will hold 500# tq. and is heavy as **** internally. I think its right on par, but you all are entitled to your opinions as well.
I see two problems right off the bat that are effecting the numbers that others expected to see. You've got a set of unported GT40P heads with no valve job. Believe it or not, the valve job on those is worth more than porting them. The correct vavle job at least. And the intake manifold. You've got an X cam that needs to rev high into the rpms, that intake manifold just isn't going to do it. With a good radius valve job, and a Victor Jr. intake, I would expect something more along the lines of 270-280 rwhp.

I might also throw a 650 carb at it and see what happens.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:21 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

I thought the 303 cam was a B cam? Anyhoot, I've never seen a Fox make good power while N/A, 302, and on GT40's. Had many a friend sound super pretty with similar setups, but always ran really crappy ET's and dyno'd horrid numbers. Not that the dyno makes a difference, but still. I guess you can't cheap out on the heads setup on those motors.

I do have one buddy with GT40's and some custom grind cam on a decent shot running pretty good ET's. He doesn't make good power, but it's gutted and running a slick tire. It gets the job done fairly well.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:25 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: stanger88

I have an RPM intake. I would not be happy with the Fox, its weak power is NOT why I am selling, its just an out-dated platform with too many problems. (some inherent, some due to being almost as old as I am).
we're not talking about the same intake here... it's an old platform, but it's tested and true and still one of the best for hitting up the track. but to each his own, enjoy the LS1, i would too.

Quick Reply: Finally Dynoed the 5.0!!!