Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

03 SVT Cobra vert vs 07 Shelby GT500 vert (long but detailed good)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 09:58 AM
s2k
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 03 SVT Cobra vert vs 07 Shelby GT500 vert (long but detailed good)

lol shes back
Old 08-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

Put your hard on down. Aren't those Shelby GT500s the new Cobras with a 5.4 motor with 475hp?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:27 PM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

nope theyre shelbies

but thats getting technical

they DO respond similalrly to mods as the termies did. theyre heaveier tho
so thats a disadvantage

there been uncomfirmed rumors of a new termie also
Old 08-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Nvr2old32
2nd Gear Member

Stock Terminator 390/395? Either the dyno was reading crank horspower which I don't think is possible unless you pull the engine out or there was something done to it (Tune maybe?). With a tune, I could see the terminator keeping up from a roll but without it, I just don't think so. I would of assumed the GT would pull a bit. Then again, anything can happen on the street.

Either way, nice race. Sounds like you've got the driver mod!
Old 08-02-2007, 12:39 PM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

No way it was crank..... Termis do 370~380rwhp stock... 390 seems high but its not hard to swallow given we don't know the weather conditions or if this was an SAE number or just the actual results in good weather.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:52 PM
banka87
4th Gear Member

Factory Freak mabey?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: S8ER01Z

No way it was crank..... Termis do 370~380rwhp stock... 390 seems high but its not hard to swallow given we don't know the weather conditions or if this was an SAE number or just the actual results in good weather.
Dyno it in 50 weather
Old 08-02-2007, 12:57 PM
C6 VETTE
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03_svt_cobra_22

INTRO......
Alright i know what you already thinking.... FINIALY! At least us termi guys would think so. Ive looked on many sites like YouTube, Myspace, Google videos, etc and never could find asufficient race between these arch rivals (but fight on the same team..weird huh) even modedvs moded and never a stock vs stock battlewith theseFord Titans. Iknow we have heard many things and know many things about both but what about against one another in stock form? we have seen in stock form svt cobra'sand shelby's doin 4.5 to 60mph and low twelves around 115mph....hmmmmm (depending on what your sourse youuse and how good the driver is). itsa never ending debate if your a die hardcobrafan vs a die hard shelby fan however, the truth comes out... when the clutch lets out! so let me tell you about my car, its a 03 SVT Cobra vert tripple black and bone stock off the showroom floor with the exception of 4month old tires, full weight and all. the previous owner never reved it passed 4500 rpms (computer check from Ford proved that) with the exception of one time..he had it dynoedat 10K and it makes390rwhp/395rwftlbs... i myself have never pushed it to its limits (which seem never ending!) andi have never street/draged it before or dogged it ... guess im afraid ill screw it up like i did my truck(but thats anotherstory) However, i know my car and i know what it likes and with the help of some eariler driving lessons from dad (wile test driving other cars ) so with the intro done and some of my background done............ here is my story.........

Well it all started the otherevening and i got my cobra all shined up and took it for a cruise. I desided to go on the interstate to stretch her legs and play around with the shifts and just enjoy the car you know. i was cruising around 60-70mph, top up, i notised a new mustang comming up behind me fairly quick but i didnt see any grill lights so i was like whatever. Then when i looked up again i saw the car... blue with white racing stripes and the Snake in the corner. i said nice!! After that he got up right on my bumber and i said "come on man just pass" but he didnt. so i smoothly down shifted into 5th and half throttled it and pulled away, nothing bigbut hold on it gets better! So the red light came up and he got beside me, He had a convertable also! and said "wanna race?" i said maybe... what mods you got? he said, "new tires, 8K on the odo, and factory bone stock. He was a skinny looking guy and i didnt give him a anwser but when that light hit green and he pealed out across the intersection and my testosterone started rage'n , i thought, " dude this is your chance to see whats gonna happen.... ITS ON [sm=badbadbad.gif]I caught up with him and i said lets do it from 40 with traction control onhe said "sweet 2nd gear? i repliedwith athumbs up and thought "hmm this guy knows his stuff."after puttingup the windows hehonked three times it all hell broke loose! we were neckandneck! (75mph)ipowershifted into third close to the redline and started to pullsome. we shifted nearly the same time and once in third istarted pulling i was like "come on baby come on! dont let me down!!" and close to the top of third his nose waseven withthe splitbetween the two windows (120ish)i slamed it into 4th as did he, and i let her have it for all shes worth one more gear.even for stockthese Eatonsput out one heck of a whine so at the top of 4th anda power shift into 5ththe shelby's nose droped back to around my rear tire/bumber. so he let off as didI andafter slowing down, praying the cops didnt see us, and checking to see if i messed myself lol, i pulled into a gas station and he followed. I got out as he pulled up beside me and when he got out, we both said "pop the hood." After checking all over for possible weight reductions, mods, and anything hidden we bothwere honest in saying they are bone stock.we shook hands and laughedand he was verycool with his loss. Before we left he said "damn them cobras are amazing cars, and your a good driver." i said, "thanks, andyouknow what they say, THEY DONT CALL THEM TERMINATIORS FOR NOTHING!" Heshook hishead andsaid as he got in his car, " guess ill have to takethis car and trade it in for a cobra" i smiled and he litthe tires upas he left.

well thatsmy story sorry so long but i figured yall would like the details anyway... and putting down a shelby gt500 for my first kill.... its a great day!
Long Live the TERMINATOR [sm=badbadbad.gif]
The only source that can put up these numbers is a Cobra owner that is still trying to prove a point that the GT500 are not all that compared to the Termie.....Deal with it...The SVT Cobra is'nt dynoing 390rwhp....And it sure in the hell is'nt running low 12's in stock form...
Old 08-02-2007, 12:58 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nvr2old32

Stock Terminator 390/395? Either the dyno was reading crank horspower which I don't think is possible unless you pull the engine out or there was something done to it (Tune maybe?). With a tune, I could see the terminator keeping up from a roll but without it, I just don't think so. I would of assumed the GT would pull a bit. Then again, anything can happen on the street.

Either way, nice race. Sounds like you've got the driver mod!
i dynoed 370rwhp bone stock on mustang dyno which reads 12% less than dynoject (normally) i have seen stock cobras put doown 393rwhp.

but most stock cobras puts down around 370-380rwhp avarage and that is 425+hp at the crank.

ONCE AGAIN, 03/04 COBRAS ARE WAYYY UNDER RATED. IN REALITY THEY ARE OVER 400HP AT THE CRANK!
Old 08-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

The Terminator is liberally underrated from Ford, the engine alone has been known to produce around 415-420 crank horsepower with all power accessories, cats/mufflers. MM&FF called John Coletti about when they dynoed an '03, with a chuckle he said the IRS is INCREDIBLY efficient lol

Not a surprise though, a Ford GT engine makes 635 crank hp with all power accessories.

EDIT: Doodad beat me to it, but C6 Vette...you gots to understand mang. EJS has gotten the thing to run 12.4xxs on street tires, and I have seen stock Termies run 12.8s and 12.9s on a cold day at my loval track, which still means 4,000ft/+ elevation.

Quick Reply: 03 SVT Cobra vert vs 07 Shelby GT500 vert (long but detailed good)