Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

cooldown techniques

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:51 AM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

Default cooldown techniques

What are you guys doing to cool your car down when you get to the track (I have about an hour drive plus extra time idling in line waiting for my race ticket) and also between runs? When I had my 5.0 I used to wrap a bag of ice in a blanket and put it on the intake...was thinking of doing this to my CAI tube and the manifold itself (taking the beauty cover off first), but I'm not sure if the track officials would approve, with the threat of water dripping on the track (although it would be sealed bags of ice in blankets with no chance of dripping, but still rules are rules you know?) Anyway besides keeping the hood up what's everyone doing? I thought I saw some fancy 12v fan that fit under thehood and pulled hot air out between runs, in some magazine or something? Thanks...
Old 08-07-2007, 11:07 AM
WRXtranceformed
5th Gear Member

Default RE: cooldown techniques

I know some of the Subaru guys have nitrous / CO2 sprayers that are linked up to their intercoolers. A quick shot of cold gasses on the fins supposedly really helps out. Now, that's of course on a turbocharged car, but I'd imagine you could translate that over to an NA car. Either with an installed remote spray setup, or just bringing along a big *** CO2 or NO2 tank and spraying the radiator, intake, intake tube, possibly even the manifold... I bet you would notice a huge decrease in ambient temps under your hood between runs. You'd probably pick up a little extra horsepower too, and I don't think there would be any water or anything pouring onto the track... other than a little condensation from the gasses in your engine bay.

Anyone else have thoughts on that? Any potential problems that I'm not seeing?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:18 AM
1975ssnova
1st Gear Member

I have seen alot of people putting bags of ice on there intake. I have also seen track officials make them back out of the staging lane thinking something was leaking out of the motor.It is a great idea and if you take some extra caution i dont think you will have any problems.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:24 AM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

I mostly don't do the fancy cooler methods. When I get into the line to run I just turn my car off and push it till i'm in the front of the line then when its my turn to accually run that when I start my car. I guess you could also do the ice thing to get even more cool.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:10 PM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

I do not know about swapping thermostats on S197, but may be you could put in a 180* for the track. When you get there, park it and open the hood. Try to get in line when itis the shortest,idel the car as less as possible, and this probably doesn't matter, but run your heater to try to dissapate as much heat from the coolant as possible.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:18 PM
DesertMach
2nd Gear Member

I don't have one , but I have heard of some guy's running thier electric water pumps while the motor is off to cool the engine..
Old 08-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Dirty Sanchez
3rd Gear Member

I have my electric fan wired to a toggle. After the pass, I'll leave it running for awhile to help reduce the water temp in the radiator. After it's had a chance to cool some, I'll start the car momentarilyto let the water pump into the block.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:14 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Ditto - sort-of...lol

I have my fan wired to be on all the time. I also have an icebox which is probably overkill for you but a neccessity for me. I also have the EH20 pump so after I make a pass all I have to do is put some fresh ice in the resevoir and turn my key on. Takes about 5 minutes to cool down enough to race and in about fifteen minutes it cools the car to dead ice cold.

I also throw a bag of ice on the blower between runs and it usually only takes about five minutes to cool the billet KB casing down where you can touch it.

Most tracks do not like you having ice bags in the staging lans so I don't recommend it but it's a simple matter of cooling the car off before yu hit the lanes IMO.

Also, having your fans wired to be on all the time makes it really easy to turn your key on in the lanes and cool the car down quick...

My friend Don does exactly as sanchez on his S197. His fan is wired on a switch he can turn on at will. I personally don't see a problem with running the fan all the time so just have it that way for preference.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

HMMMM... Vortech says not to put ice on the blower housing if I remember... contraction of the metal in the housing could cause the impeller to bind (as I remember the rational).

Mark... Guess u have not had any issues on your KB?
Old 08-07-2007, 04:25 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

i have the black magic extreme 3300cfm puller

when i ran at the track in 90+ degree weather i was able to keep temps around 160F.. with a 180F thermostat

by end of the track tho i was pushin about 180F.. pull over and let it cool for 10 mins (leaving fan on) and i was back in the staging lanes

it takes a toll on the alt but i got a lifetime warranty on mine lol

Quick Reply: cooldown techniques