Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

My Opinion - Why Mustangs are the PREY!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Nvr2old32
2nd Gear Member

Default My Opinion - Why Mustangs are the PREY!

Well, I keep seeing all these "rice" threads or 4 banger import/domestic threads where Mustang owners can't figure out why their being tested by cars that in most case have no chance at all. Here's my opinion....

When I was 16 (back in 1988), I bought my first car which was a little Toyota pickup. It wasn't much butfor some reason I thought it was fast. It was a standard 4 speed, pretty easy to drive and easy to shift. Well, one day I was coming home from the beach on a back road and probably due to the way I drove, some car came flying up behind me. As it approached the side of me it slowed to my speed. I noticed it was a guy probably a little older then me in a nice 5.0 Mustang. I didn't know much about them back then but I knew they were pretty quick. If I remember correctly because this was so long ago, we weredoing around 60mph. I remember that there wasn't a hong and I pretty sure I hit the gas first. I think I may have gained a few feet, probably long enough before he realized I was trying to race him, and then he hit it. All I remember was he left me like I was standing still. Man, did I get my a'ss handed to me. Good thing I was alone!
From that moment, I knew that to have a fast car, I had to be able to keep up with or beat a Mustang. During those 18 years following my Toyota pickup, I owned a 280zx which of course was no match,a Dodge Avenger (pretty embarrasing) and of course no match, a Civic SI which was actually closer but clearly still no match. The last car I owned before my Evo was a 1997 GST Eclipse. I thought I actually had a chance in this car because again, I thought it was fast until I had my a'ss handed to me again by a Mustang I was playing with. What was even more embarrasing was I had a bigger turbo, an exhaust, and some piping installed but still couldn't shake the stang off my rear end flooring it the best I could. Anyway, what I thought were fast car were clearly no match for the Mustang.
So, the reason I say all of this is that I believe the Mustang is a "Icon" for younger kids, probably new to driving who thrill for the opportunity to be able to beat a Mustang. It was always a goal of mine because in my mind, I always believed the Mustang to be a prettyfast car. I still can't believe I never owned one as much as I always marveled over them! I did own one for about 3 days, but this was only because my Grandfather passed away and left one to my mom who was suppose to give it to me. What happened you ask, well, she sold it for a $1,600. It was a 1979 - 1981 (can't quite remember the exact year) with a 351 Cleveland in it. Mint condition with 89,000 miles. Leather interior as well. I almost cried watching some young kid driving away in it. (Sad).
Anyway, sorry this thread was so long but I think the reason so many "riced" out cars or normal 4 banger and even some6 cylinder cars are always challengingMustangs is because it's a goal of theirs to be able to beat one. Throw on a fart can, some piping,a nitrous sticker (hopefully they have nitrous) or maybe even an engine swap or turbo and see how well they do. I wouldn't get too bent out of shape when these kids try their best to take you. I would almost in a way feel good about being thepredator actually trying to be hunted by the prey! I'm sure it'snice to have an American muscle car, and a Mustang at that! One day, when the kids are grown up, or at least out of their car seats, I'm going to have me one too! It think it would be a great picture shot with a Mustang sitting beside the Evo in the garage!

Hopefully this long post didn't waste too much of your time! Again, just my opinion.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:22 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Default RE: My Opinion - Why Mustangs are the PREY!

It makes sense, and I agree. Icon or not, I wish I was close to your Evo's neighborhood
Old 08-29-2007, 10:26 PM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

true
Old 08-29-2007, 10:27 PM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

some cars you just have to respect. i honk and wave to any respectable performance car- toyota to eagle. i think most kids do rice because of a lack of a father or grandfather who passed the tradition on. they just want to be noticed, and be cool and in scene. talking to them trying to say, hey man you should try to get a blah blah is like asking a nun for doggy. american muscle IS dying out.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Nvr2old32
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BleedinBlue

It makes sense, and I agree. Icon or not, I wish I was close to your Evo's neighborhood
Well, it took quite a bit of time and money to get the Evo to where it is. Even stock, it wasn't a match for the Mustang except maybe from a dig. From a roll, I was still losing, not by much but a loss is a loss. You Mustang owners made me go broke!!!! J/K
Old 08-29-2007, 10:30 PM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nvr2old32

ORIGINAL: BleedinBlue

Well, it took quite a bit of time and money to get the Evo to where it is. Even stock, it wasn't a match for the Mustang except maybe from a dig. From a roll, I was still losing, not by much but a loss is a loss. You Mustang owners made me go broke!!!! J/K
evos really scare me. id definatly back down ona race. rice doesnt know when to stop, or start really. but most mustang owners are in the right head... but its becoming where only some are
Old 08-29-2007, 10:51 PM
fiad06
5th Gear Member

The most preyed car in teh world is a 99-04 GT.... When people buy their cars they make sure its faster than a 99-04 GT...
Old 08-29-2007, 10:58 PM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

thats why im getting an s-197 5.0 or termie in due time

(99-04 gt owners please dont hurt me)
Old 08-29-2007, 11:05 PM
fiad06
5th Gear Member

Its sad because in 99 New edge GT's and Ls1s ruled the streets...there wasnt alot of cars that were faster than a 99 gt
Old 08-29-2007, 11:07 PM
The Stig
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fiad06

Its sad because in 99 New edge GT's and Ls1s ruled the streets...there wasnt alot of cars that were faster than a 99 gt
...except the LS1.

Sorry, you left that last part out.

Quick Reply: My Opinion - Why Mustangs are the PREY!