Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Me vs 97 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 09:08 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Me vs 97 Cobra

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

Yea, hp plays some part in top speed, but gearing and aerodynamics play just as much.

I'm sure you could get a fox with 210 hp to the 140's, and I know new edges do 145-150.

As for the improvement of the 4V's from '96-'98 and '03-'03 in the Machs
the Mach 1 is a bit underrated from a couple of sources i have seen.

They also improved the power band.. they might only make max hp around 305 or so, but they are a lot beefier throughout the midrange.

Thats why you see quarter miles in high high 13's sometimes for a SN-Cobra, and the occasional low 13 in a Mach

yeah they rated the 03/04 machs the same as 96-98 but they had to be underrated to throw out the same HP but have a better head design stock for stock.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Sarge_13
4th Gear Member

I've been in the passenger seat of an '05 GT bone stock with the speedo pegged and still climbing was around 155 when he let off. (best guess based on his acceleration at that speed, RPM's were still climbing)
Old 03-09-2008, 10:25 AM
cobra4579
1st Gear Member

A stock 96-98 cobra tops out at 154 mph. Thats in 4th gear not 5th gear too. I am 100% sure about this.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:25 PM
SkillzDatKillz
Mista High School Playa

ORIGINAL: Sarge_13

I've been in the passenger seat of an '05 GT bone stock with the speedo pegged and still climbing was around 155 when he let off. (best guess based on his acceleration at that speed, RPM's were still climbing)
I doubt the new GT's top out 155+ plus, usually the speedos read wrong at speeds past 130.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:26 PM
SkillzDatKillz
Mista High School Playa

ORIGINAL: cobra4579

A stock 96-98 cobra tops out at 154 mph. Thats in 4th gear not 5th gear too. I am 100% sure about this.
He now says it tops out at 140.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:26 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SkillzDatKillz

Yeah thats kind of what I was thinking too. I know not to understimate him, and I have heard he is a pretty good driver. But at the age of 16 i'm a little bit inexperienced, this race isn't going down until this summer when I get my license. He will probably beat me due to inexperience, unless I can somehow afford to get some headers, a CAI, and maybe an exhaust or something. Should I race from a roll?
Am I the only one that is terrified by the thought of a newly licensed 16 year old street racing?
Old 03-09-2008, 01:03 PM
SkillzDatKillz
Mista High School Playa

ORIGINAL: BicketyBam

Yeah thats kind of what I was thinking too. I know not to understimate him, and I have heard he is a pretty good driver. But at the age of 16 i'm a little bit inexperienced, this race isn't going down until this summer when I get my license. He will probably beat me due to inexperience, unless I can somehow afford to get some headers, a CAI, and maybe an exhaust or something. Should I race from a roll?
Am I the only one that is terrified by the thought of a newly licensed 16 year old street racing?
Who said anything about street racing?
Old 03-09-2008, 01:17 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

So what do you guys think will happen if I race this guy? Digg, Roll, what?
I'd like the name of the track that has roll racing.

Don't be a smartass.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

So what do you guys think will happen if I race this guy? Digg, Roll, what?
I'd like the name of the track that has roll racing.

Don't be a smartass.
Ed, he's probably one of the kids that just has to learn things the hard way. No matter how much he says he's not gonna race, everybody knows it's probably going to happen. What's a teenager's normal reaction when somebody tells 'em not to do something? lol Most, and I say again, most, would right away want to go do it just because somebody told them they couldn't.. I was that way at that age, and I learned my lesson the hard way when my Dad left me in jail for two days and sold my bike after I got busted racing. And that was sixteen years ago. But I DID learn a valuable lesson though.. Nobody got hurt and I learned to keep it on the track.. Mostly.. LOL All we can do brudda is offer advice, they're the one's who have to decide for themselves to take it..
Old 03-09-2008, 01:53 PM
The Stig
4th Gear Member

Yea, Shouldnt people learn how to drive before they learn how to race?

Quick Reply: Me vs 97 Cobra