Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Gonna bust my track cherry (results) vid on page 3

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 04:41 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

Default Gonna bust my track cherry (results) vid on page 3

I wasn't going to post anything until afterwards, but "F" it. I am going to the track tomorrow with the Z06. This will be my first time ever running at a drag strip. It's a track rental and I will be there with 19 Mustangs, including the forum member who was thoughful enough to invite me. I have to admit I am scarred sh!tless. I just don't know what to expect. I am running on the stock run flats, which are near death's door (12,700 miles - average life is between 9k and 13k). I think traction and inexperience are going to be my biggest enemies (and heat). But I just couldn't pass up the chance to run the car. As long as I don't break something or hit a wall, I'll be happy - irregardless of the times. But hey - at least I'm going to give it a go. The two guys that were going to go with me backed out due to illness and other obligations, so I have no one to cheer me on. Whatever. I am bringing my video camera so you guys can laugh at my noobness. Wish me luck.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Sarge_13
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Gonna bust my track cherry

GTFO noob.[:@]

[8D] good luck Ed. To be honest, I wouldn't even bother trying on bald tires at the power level you Z guys are at.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:46 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

You shouldn't break anything, you're not gonna hook hard enough to. Just don't wreck.

Come out of the hole at near idle and then wale on it enough until you can go WOT and not break traction. I'd be more interested in the MPH if I were you, not the ET. Get a set of tires and some experience, then go ET hunting.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:46 PM
cacimar
5th Gear Member

at least you will get experience which is needed to run great times on your Z, good luck ED
Old 06-11-2008, 05:15 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

drop the clutch at around 5500 rpm's and you should be fine

Good luck man, remember we all sucked the first time at the track, and some of us never really improve (ie; me[:@])
Old 06-11-2008, 05:15 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sarge_13

[8D] good luck Ed. To be honest, I wouldn't even bother trying on bald tires at the power level you Z guys are at.
I wouldn't call them bald - I am not at the wear bars yet. But I hear you.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:24 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 98LS1

You shouldn't break anything, you're not gonna hook hard enough to. Just don't wreck.

Come out of the hole at near idle and then wale on it enough until you can go WOT and not break traction. I'd be more interested in the MPH if I were you, not the ET. Get a set of tires and some experience, then go ET hunting.
Wheel hop is my only concern. It's happened a few times on the street - nothing major. The Z06 has more computers than NASA and it has something that senses wheel hop and corrects it.

I'm going to start with a 2700 rpm launch. Quick release the clutch,spin a bit then bog and go from there. I know how to modulate the throttle on the street and as long as I don't get caught up in a "fast and furious moment" I should be able to not spin the tires half way down the track. But we'll see. A guy on the C6Z06 fast list gave me a bunch of tips and his best in the C6Z his first time out was 12 flat - and he had plenty of track experience in a C5Z06. He said it's a tricky car to drag. Of course he is now #3 on that list.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Sarge_13
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BicketyBam

ORIGINAL: Sarge_13

I wouldn't call them bald - I am not at the wear bars yet. But I hear you.
Then again, I also opted not to go to the track with my bolt-on sixxer on bald tires. I just like my stuff to be at its best when I do take it
Old 06-11-2008, 05:32 PM
WRXtranceformed
5th Gear Member

Whoa good luck Ed! You'll tear it up regardless and I'm sure you're going to have a great time!! Post up some slips as soon as you get back
Old 06-11-2008, 05:40 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WRXtranceformed

Whoa good luck Ed! You'll tear it up regardless and I'm sure you're going to have a great time!! Post up some slips as soon as you get back
Even the 13 second ones?

Quick Reply: Gonna bust my track cherry (results) vid on page 3