Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

LS2 GTO OWNED!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 06:37 AM
cacimar
5th Gear Member

Default RE: LS2 GTO OWNED!

ORIGINAL: bolt.com

By many accounts from GTO owners on LS1GTO forums, the things are hard to launch. I was looking at the possiblility of buying a used '04 a few months ago, went over there and signed on and end up finding out that alot of board members are dicks........arrogance sucks.Its the main reason I went with a Mustang instead of a GTO as the Mustang community tend not to be dicks............not to mention that the reliability on the LS1's or LS2's are a big black dot!!! LS1's = lots of minor engine gremlins and LS2's = lots of major engine gremlins.
So Im slower............at least Im on the road...............
Go to a strip where you got alot of guys cruising.......like I have near me.....and watch the 6 sp guys blow up on the line and leave half a tire. From a roll they are monsters, especially when the gig goes past triple digit speed...........
[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=laughat.gif]
Old 06-25-2008, 06:39 AM
08 Bullitt 2310
2nd Gear Member

I owned an 05' auto GTO with 17 inch tires that was easy as hell to launch but for me it lacked the fun of driving a 6 speed,My opinion.I traded it for an 05' GTO 6 speed with the 18 inch wheels and while that is the one I modded,it was not an easy car to launch!17's might have helped a little with the increased sidewall but I'll never know as they are both gone.The best way I found to launch the 6 speed which was completely stock in the suspension dept was a knee jerk reaction not a sidestep.Feathering the clutch if you will.The autos are QUICKER in a drag race most of the time.Most folks have trouble driving a stick out of the hole,Not all but quite a few.Takes some getting used to.That is why i haven't tracked my GT500 yet,I have got to try and get some better tires to offset the incompetent driver mod.[:@]
Old 06-25-2008, 06:39 AM
bolt.com
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Morbid Intentions

ORIGINAL: cacimar
In my mind faster is the car who trapps higher than the other and not the one who ran better E.Ts [8D]
in the real world the first one to cross the line wins and makes more usage of it's power... I don't even pay attention to trap speed because a race isn't about top end, it's about two cars racing a certain distance and the winner crosses a certain finish point first

the car with the lowest ET is the fastest, the car with the highest trap speed is the best person for roll racing... which is about as cool as being the smartest person with down syndrome IMO

put it this way, when I was a kid and I was in a footrace... ifI came in 2nd, I diddn't argue with the kid that came in 1stabout how much more velocity I had when I crossed the finish line... I just accepted that he was faster and moved on

IDK.....I disagree. To me, and despite conventional wisdom............a roll race defines succinctly the cars ability.
Ive seen many street races where a modded Evo crushes an LS2 off the line and its just too much to make up. Put the same two cars on a 40mph roll race and by 110, the Evo is seeing tails.
I once hung door to door with an LS1 with my fully bolted VQ Altima because LS1 guy took a cup of coffee from the dig. Same guy crushed me from a 30 mph roll 5 minutes later, especially after 90. ( by the way......those calling bs on Altima's haning with LS1s need only to go check out Streetfire )
Old 06-25-2008, 06:44 AM
bolt.com
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MrRogers

By many accounts from GTO owners on LS1GTO forums, the things are hard to launch. I was looking at the possiblility of buying a used '04 a few months ago, went over there and signed on and end up finding out that alot of board members are dicks........arrogance sucks.Its the main reason I went with a Mustang instead of a GTO as the Mustang community tend not to be dicks............not to mention that the reliability on the LS1's or LS2's are a big black dot!!! LS1's = lots of minor engine gremlins and LS2's = lots of major engine gremlins.
Go to a strip where you got alot of guys cruising.......like I have near me.....and watch the 6 sp guys blow up on the line and leave half a tire. From a roll they are monsters, especially when the gig goes past triple digit speed...........

[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Of all the issues people have with GM, their engines are not one of them.

Indeed.......with the exception of the LS2. Many, many oil burning issues with that engine. My buddy got a new engine and the unit was still burning oil badly.............like over 2 quarts every 1,000 miles. He dumped the car. I wouldnt go near a used LS2.......which is why I was looking at '04's.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:48 AM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

ORIGINAL: 08 Bullitt 2310

I owned an 05' auto GTO with 17 inch tires that was easy as hell to launch but for me it lacked the fun of driving a 6 speed,My opinion.I traded it for an 05' GTO 6 speed with the 18 inch wheels and while that is the one I modded,it was not an easy car to launch!17's might have helped a little with the increased sidewall but I'll never know as they are both gone.The best way I found to launch the 6 speed which was completely stock in the suspension dept was a knee jerk reaction not a sidestep.Feathering the clutch if you will.The autos are QUICKER in a drag race most of the time.Most folks have trouble driving a stick out of the hole,Not all but quite a few.Takes some getting used to.That is why i haven't tracked my GT500 yet,I have got to try and get some better tires to offset the incompetent driver mod.[:@]
thank you, you are a breath of fresh air on this pile of horse crap
Old 06-25-2008, 06:51 AM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Indeed.......with the exception of the LS2. Many, many oil burning issues with that engine. My buddy got a new engine and the unit was still burning oil badly.............like over 2 quarts every 1,000 miles. He dumped the car. I wouldnt go near a used LS2.......which is why I was looking at '04's.
you have no idea what you are talking about, go back to roll racing your altima

either that or listen to what other people have to say, roll racing is fun and is cool just to play around... but it is.... tell you what, look at blue beasts sig... that's what it is

my LS2 has been more than reliable.... there will be problems with cars for as long as cars exsist, holding an entire engine lineup or make and model for something that happened to your friend is laughable
Old 06-25-2008, 07:01 AM
MrRogers
5th Gear Member

[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

New engine? What happened to the old one? Oil burning???2 quarts every 1000 miles??

Now I'm dizzy..[sm=outcold.gif]
Old 06-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

GTO's = badass cars. Was never much into the body style when they first came out, but over time I warmed up to them, now I am really a fan.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:28 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Roll racing is for queers and ricers that don't know how to drive or set a car the right way so it can hook.......That is all, carry on.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:34 AM
lieu910
3rd Gear Member

Good runs.

As a former 05 M6 GTO owner, theycan bea little difficult to launch.However, as some here have mentioned they areparticularly strong from a roll.

The happiest day of my GTO ownership was the day I traded it in.There is absolutely nothing I miss about that car.

Quick Reply: LS2 GTO OWNED!