Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

...and boom goes the nitrous bottle!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

Originally Posted by Stone629
Please back your claim. Explain exactly how a compressed bottle explodes spontaneously, or at all. It doesn't. Explosions happen due to leaking combustible gases in a poorly ventilated area and where the gases come into contact with an ignition source. Thats why you can't just shoot a LP tank or any other type of compressed flammable or non-flammable bottle and expect an explosion. It simply doesn't work that way. They take off like a rocket or either blow flame from the hole that was created (assuming there was an ignition source, tracer round, flame, etc). The heat of the sun doesn't even come close to expanding the NO2 gas in a approved bottle enough to explode. Even if it did, it would simply blow the valve off, releasing all the pressure. In fact, I have personally witnessed an O2 tank fall off a delivery truck and break the valve completely off. It turned into a rocket and went across 4 lanes and thru a chainlink fence. Watch mythbusters if you don't believe me. Common sense guys, c'mon.
if the tank was faulty who's to say it wasn't overfilled and the elements made the contents expand inside of an otherwise faulty bottle... making not an explosion, but a pressurised force, sending tank fragments everywhere

there doesn't have to be a flammable explosion to be damage... I'd say if a tank impolded from the inside like that the force the peices of the tank would produce could cause damage

you say use sense, but non of us have ever made a tank like this rupture on the account of expanding gasses on the inside and we don't even know what kind of setup this guy had or if the tank was even in ship shape to hold these pressures... there are so many elements that are left out in the open that to even begin to argue the fact would be useless

all I can say is what I told my friend... if this is impossible, either I want the frag grenades this guy has a stash of or bigfoot stomped the hell out of the rear of that car
Old 10-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I'm not saying it doesn't have the capabitlity to due to severe damage. I'm disputing that the bottle burst due to heat via hot sun. My previous thread was really directed toward the guy calling your source an idiot.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

To me it looks like he used roughly a stick of dynamite.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:40 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Please back your claim. Explain exactly how a compressed bottle explodes spontaneously, or at all. It doesn't. Explosions happen due to leaking combustible gases in a poorly ventilated area and where the gases come into contact with an ignition source. Thats why you can't just shoot a LP tank or any other type of compressed flammable or non-flammable bottle and expect an explosion. It simply doesn't work that way. They take off like a rocket or either blow flame from the hole that was created (assuming there was an ignition source, tracer round, flame, etc). The heat of the sun doesn't even come close to expanding the NO2 gas in a approved bottle enough to explode. Even if it did, it would simply blow the valve off, releasing all the pressure. In fact, I have personally witnessed an O2 tank fall off a delivery truck and break the valve completely off. It turned into a rocket and went across 4 lanes and thru a chainlink fence. Watch mythbusters if you don't believe me. Common sense guys, c'mon.

I called his friend an idiot for saying that if a bottle explodes like that it doesn't have the force to cause that much damage. That much internal pressure can EASILY cause that much damage.

Leaving it in the sun I agree can no way cause that. You're talking about mythbusters, they never did anything of the sort with internal pressure causing bottle failure. They shot it with a gun from outside and broke the valve off.

Look at it like a balloon. You poke a hole with a pin, the thing most likely doesn't explodes just leaks air through that hole. You blow that balloon until the exterior walls can no longer support the pressure it explodes.

Have you ever made a draino bomb? Get a 2 liter, get draino then drop in foil put the cap on, those suckers EXPLODE; and hell thats only plastic. The only part I agree with you on is the fact that it was not caused by just sitting out in the sun, probably a grossly overinflated bottle and left the bottle heater on with a defective pressure valve. Very very rare something like this happends.