Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

DSM Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

Originally Posted by JayRolla
Well first off the LONGBLOCK is stock other than a 3 angle grind on the head and a multi layer steel head gasket for the higher boost. Head, rods, pistons, rings, crank are all original mistubishi. Now fuel and turbo are bolts on and have nothing to do with the longblock.

The turbo is a 16g off the stock evo 3 lancer and it is pushing hot air but thats where the e85 comes in play.

Now the car has been daily driven for over 1 year on e85 at 30psi and dynoed 400whp. Now tell me why it hasnt failed.

Also many people run 550whp no problems stock longblock for many of drag seasons. These motors are real capable.
well then your longblock isn't stock.. and your car is worked

30PSI through a 16G should net you "WAY" more than 400WHP and a 16G's max PSI is 25PSI and that is on race gas... A 20g will do 30 psi. But increase flow with the ported 1g head, sheet metal intake manifold, etc, and that can drop by as much as 5 psi. Some people will mistake the 5 psi drop with a drop in HP output. In reality, you make more power. Airflow is power, boost is heat. So if you can max out the turbo with less boost, you're better off.

30PSI is just lunacy and even the most uneducated in automotive knowlege will tell you that the 16G is operating WAY out of it's efficiency range at those levels... even with alky/water injection I still don't see a 16G blowing 30PSI without the turbo just exploding all over the place, E85 or not

18PSI on a street driven talon on 91 octane is the perfect PSI between boost and knock... E85/race gas will give you a tuning edge... but not enough to run 30PSI through a 16G, the snail itself won't handle it... forget the cars engine

and again... the longblock doesn't matter at all.... you can push major horse on ALOT of application through a stock longblock... it's the shortblock that is the main failure

I've seen 2 new edge GT's go through alternative auto pushing 700RWHP on a stock "SHORT"block as well.... intercooler, 110 tune, alky injection, baby shot for cooling etc etc etc

they lasted 2 years as well.... but they did grenade eventually

there are always diamonds in the rough, just because your car is slowly killing itself and you aren't driving it every day doesn't really mean the cars can handle it per say

Last edited by Morbid Intentions; 03-05-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:58 PM
JayRolla
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Morbid Intentions
well then your longblock isn't stock.. and your car is worked

30PSI through a 16G should net you "WAY" more than 400WHP and a 16G's max PSI is 25PSI and that is on race gas... A 20g will do 30 psi. But increase flow with the ported 1g head, sheet metal intake manifold, etc, and that can drop by as much as 5 psi. Some people will mistake the 5 psi drop with a drop in HP output. In reality, you make more power. Airflow is power, boost is heat. So if you can max out the turbo with less boost, you're better off.

30PSI is just lunacy and even the most uneducated in automotive knowlege will tell you that the 16G is operating WAY out of it's efficiency range at those levels... even with alky/water injection I still don't see a 16G blowing 30PSI without the turbo just exploding all over the place, E85 or not

18PSI on a street driven talon on 91 octane is the perfect PSI between boost and knock... E85/race gas will give you a tuning edge... but not enough to run 30PSI through a 16G, the snail itself won't handle it... forget the cars engine

and again... the longblock doesn't matter at all.... you can push major horse on ALOT of application through a stock longblock... it's the shortblock that is the main failure

I've seen 2 new edge GT's go through alternative auto pushing 700RWHP on a stock "SHORT"block as well.... intercooler, 110 tune, alky injection, baby shot for cooling etc etc etc

they lasted 2 years as well.... but they did grenade eventually

there are always diamonds in the rough, just because your car is slowly killing itself and you aren't driving it every day doesn't really mean the cars can handle it per say
A long block is the head and bottom end. Everything I have done to my car is bolts ons. So that is a stock longblock minding the 3 angle grind and multilayer head gasket that is made by mitsubishi and ran on the lancers.

There is no such thing as "MAX" psi for a turbo. Yes it may be out of its efficiency range but you can still make more power as long as you keep the intake temps down. Now I know someone that made near 500whp on a 16g in 2.0L DSM with the wastegate welded shut. Logs showed boost hitting 45.1psi and dropping too 30psi by redline. Now the turbo is pretty efficient to 30psi but to keep that boost level you have to spike the turbo. So I spike to about 34-36psi depending what gear I'm in to hold 26psi at redline. I do this to get hold as much boost as possible so power doesnt drop off in higher rpms and since the bottom end and head are stock I dont have cams to help the upper rpms.

Now the turbo is about 4 years old. On pump gas I ran 20psi daile for about 3 years. Now on e85 I am running 34psi spike holding to 26psi by redline and have been over 1 year. Zero shaft play on the turbo and it does not burn oil at all.

You say I cant run this much boost on e85, but I am so I guess I prove you wrong. I run ecmlink which allows for direct ecu tuning and has all the features of a standalone. I run the boost I do at a max timing of 22* and an afr of 11.5:1 gas equivelent. I see zero detonation and I have not pushed coolant yet so cylinder pressures should be inline. Not to mention ethonal burns slower which allows for higher timing.

I think we are confused on what a longblock and shortblock is. Longblock is the bottom end and head together. Shortblock is just the bottomend. So when you say I can push lots through a stock shortblock but not the longblock I get confused since the longblock consist of a shortblock and bottom end.

There are multiple dsms running oem longblocks making 500-600whp with over 200 dyno and drag runs. Running 10's all day. A few bent some rods and few actually retired the motor to build another since it never went. Realistically people say 500-550whp is about the limit before going forged.

I would also like to mention my car is daily driven as its my only one and I hit WOT at least once a week getting on the highway to work. Motor still has perfect compression (180 accross) and spark plugs show no signs of detonation.

Sorry about the story but I had to get it out.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

I don't beleive your story for a second... it's improbable for the appilcation, PSI, and power levels

I really don't care what you say in all honesty... it's the internet

I run a APS twin turbo setup through my GTO... I run about 17PSI and am making in the range of 700RWHP on a stock block

^^^ now anyone in their right mind knows the setup and engine, and knows it's impossible... same thing applies here, no matter how much I say I have everyone knows there is either a ton of flaws in the information given or the story is false... so you prove nothing wrong

and if you are careless enough to push 30PSI through a 16G... which is lunacy as stated before... I've told you the PSI at which these turbo's can run on the application at hand efficiently and your numbers you are handing out are highly biased and highly above efficiency levels.. and if you are running this setup on your car it is a funny thing because you are destroying your car and it's only a matter of time

but you obviously think differently so all I can do is throw my hands in the air and laugh at you and then chuckle to myself when you shatter a connecting rod... which you probably won't mention and stick to your story of "bulletproof engine"... again, wonders of the internet 101

and you should really take my 700RWHP stock block new edge story to the bank because they were in commision for about two years.... but ask anyone here and they will tell you it's the most retarded thing they have ever heard of

which is why they only lasted two years, I was giving them less life expectancy though.... and thus our story ends as to why just because joe blow runs 550AWHP and jane doe runs 525AWHP that the car just automatically can run X amount of power to the wheels... it's a benchmark that is already fixed at the destruction point

Last edited by Morbid Intentions; 03-05-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:31 PM
JayRolla
1st Gear Member

Only reason I run this boost level is because we are trying what people have not done and it worked out.

Ive been tuning and building these cars for over 8 years. Ive seen everything done. I have over 10 buddys with these cars. A good friend of mine opened up a shop in his garage and now its one of the only three tranny performance shops for dsms and is known all over the world. He also did this in less than 5 years.

We are now at the point where we are experimenting with these cars and turbos. I remember when people said our 2.0L motors could not spin a 50trim and now I know someone running an HX52 on a 2.0L.

These motors are very capable and so are the turbos. Ive never seen one 4g63t blow anything with less than 500whp unless it had a bad tune. And thats including my buddys shop that builds 5 motors and trannys a week.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:46 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

1. Just because a turbo is running above efficiency levels does not mean that it will instantly grenade.

2. I know I am generally pretty trusting over the internet, it's dumb, I know. But this guy seems to be pretty sharp and seems knows his stuff. Telling him that his setup doesn't/won't work seems pretty arrogant to me.

3. Lock this down.

My $.02
Old 03-05-2009, 09:01 PM
JayRolla
1st Gear Member

I dont want this locked down, I like to have educated discussions. Not trying to start an argument even though thats where it kind ended up. I signed up on this forum because I am going to get a mustang some time soon and wanted to check it out. After finding this thread I had to jump in.

I also dont like being told I'm a lier when I just want to pass info so if someone here thinks of buying one they dont get the one sided view. This way I can give hands on advice and someone can make there own judgement on the cars.