Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

G8 GT and an LS1 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Default G8 GT and an LS1 Z28

Both cars stock and autos, Z28 has optional 3.23 gears.

Since I just got my car, my friend has always been wondering who would win in a race. I said if we ever raced from a stop light I would probably put a few cars on him to 80 and I said a highway roll forget about it because of how aerodynamic the Z28 is it would be an even worse loss. Thoughts? I don't want to race anyone due to the cold weather(traction issues) and me being stock. If I want to beat someone I want to beat em good and send a message so I wanna hold off till may when I will have a good amount of stuff done and likely 350whp+(full exhaust, lid/K&N, ram air kit, P&P Throttle Body, tune, lca) before I do answer any callouts or races. Thanks for your opinions.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Man a stock Z28, that's kinda amazing. I think you should take him, that's if your car hasen't been dogged and is running real good. That's one race that I would love to see.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:42 PM
cacimar
5th Gear Member

stock vs stock, i will bet on the Z28 hands down. IF anything i think the G8 has the capabilities to launch harder so it may get you off the line.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:54 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

I think you got him for sure. Especially when u get those mods. No chance!
Old 01-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I don't know if you'll get quite 350rwhp with those mods thru an auto. Probably varies a good bit, but I couldn't break 340 rwhp on either of my LS1s with those mods. A stall however got me 400 rwtq on the Z28 though, you might want to check into some good stalls. Fwiw, this is what happened at the Dyno I visited, results vary from location to location and car to car. You may very well net higher gains.

I haven't had any personal experience with G8s other than talking about them and reading, but they seem to be trapping way high and running some solid 13 second times. It ought to be a good run.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:15 PM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

Nice, stock AND low mileage. I agree, you should be able the potent Pontiac...

You must really like automatics. lol
Old 01-27-2009, 07:27 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Assuming both of you drive pretty good, there's no way you should have to worry about him getting you. G8 GT's are quick cars, but they're not LS1 F-body fast.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:10 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Originally Posted by cacimar
stock vs stock, i will bet on the Z28 hands down. IF anything i think the G8 has the capabilities to launch harder so it may get you off the line.
+1 to that!! that's the only place i've had a G8 take me.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:16 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

I think you will get him stock to stock.. (the 01+ cars are always said to be a bit stronger than previous years and they always seemed to be mid 13s or better anyways).

I've seen them in the 12s now with a tune and cai only so mod for mod is debatable. The bigger displacement of the G8 gives him a big advantage and I believe they have better gearing to start with as well.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys. I thought I'd have him by a few cars at least in any race with equal drivers. Good to hear I was thinking right . And Stone, I was/am looking into some stalls, but not sure on a few things. I know some ls1tech guys think a stall should be a first mod but:
-I don't know how much total a stall and oil cooler installed will cost
-I don't know exactly what rpm stall to pick, but I am staying n/a and this is my DD
-I don't know how much of a gain I will I actually get from the stall or if it's worth it, because I know for about $1k(I guess a stall installed would be in that price range or whatever) I could get a lid, ram air kit, K&N filter, ported throttle body, and tune and that alone should net me a few tenths done on a full exhaust car (definitely doing the exhaust, I want sound more than power off the bat).
I'll do more research on the stall and think about out. If it turns out that the average gain is 3-6 tenths on a car, then I probably will do it and work around what intake mods I want to do or just drop a little more money at the same time.

Quick Reply: G8 GT and an LS1 Z28