Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

EVO vs Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

did anybody else get stumped when the Z06 started running in the vid

for me it was hard to gauge how quick these cars actually were due to the fact I had no idea what was done... I just saw VW's, rexxes and big trucks racing lol

then the Z06 looked slow I was like "whoah!" lol... considering how much ***** the GTO's launches sucked and considering in some races they diddn't lose by alot... and considering the Z06 lost by 747 lengths and should completely eat a GTO alive (even one with bolt on's)... I'm gonna have to call driver mod FTL on that one thar
Old 03-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Mellon
1st Gear Member

lots of ways to go fast, I choose a 2.0L 4 banger with low compression pistons so it takes an *** load of pressure to make power. I run 30psi daily on 93 octane.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:58 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

EVO's are badass. But at this power level, well, actually over the 450awhp mark, they start breaking stuff every other week. A buddy I know had one and he financed a TON of tranny parts, tranny's, and a motor on his. I don't know what all would break on the car, as he kinda kept it to himself once we all started telling him to STOP spending money on it and get something else. Car was fast....when it was together. Still only ran low 7's in the 1/8th, though.....talk about getting in over your head.

Oh yea, before some EVO guy jumps on me for this, I'm just going off my personal experience with the cars. I know personal experience doesn't mean a whole lot on the intraweb, but still.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:00 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mellon
lots of ways to go fast, I choose a 2.0L 4 banger with low compression pistons so it takes an *** load of pressure to make power. I run 30psi daily on 93 octane.
I thought you were running 93 octane in the race with the Camaro? Was it E85? Were you only at 30psi?
Old 03-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Mellon
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98LS1
EVO's are badass. But at this power level, well, actually over the 450awhp mark, they start breaking stuff every other week. A buddy I know had one and he financed a TON of tranny parts, tranny's, and a motor on his. I don't know what all would break on the car, as he kinda kept it to himself once we all started telling him to STOP spending money on it and get something else. Car was fast....when it was together. Still only ran low 7's in the 1/8th, though.....talk about getting in over your head.

Oh yea, before some EVO guy jumps on me for this, I'm just going off my personal experience with the cars. I know personal experience doesn't mean a whole lot on the intraweb, but still.
I've heard of a few bad eggs but the majority are nearly bullet proof...I've tuned dozens of them to 500+awhp with 93 octane on the stock shorty/head/cams/drivetrain and they've been run hard like that for years. I didn't have any problems with mine until I started powershifting it at 600awhp with 4 drag radials. The transmission started making noise, so I drove it home, pulled it and had the stock tranny beefed up a little bit.

Originally Posted by 98LS1
I thought you were running 93 octane in the race with the Camaro? Was it E85? Were you only at 30psi?
in the video with the camaro, that was the first time I've raced anyone at 40psi on Q16 on the new wheel/tire combo. I knew I had him covered with pump gas but I needed to log some data with it at full tilt anyway. I found out that my twin walbro pumps and 1000cc (95lb)injectors aren't keeping up with the engine demand for fuel and it was going very lean. I have a new bigger fuel rail on the way to address that. It'll go a little faster next time.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:41 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Mellon are you in memphis? or nashville? I thought i remember seeing something about that's where you were
Old 03-03-2009, 02:47 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

Either way, car is NASTY! I remember being humbled by my buddies EVO in my old TA....hell, that's why I did so much to it. If I pick me up another daily driver, it'll probably be an EVO.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:52 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Mellon, how much did it take in $ for the car + mods to run 30-40 psi and run 10.41?
Old 03-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

What were the specs on that Camaro?
Old 03-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Mellon
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by USMCrebel
Mellon are you in memphis? or nashville? I thought i remember seeing something about that's where you were
Memphis area

Originally Posted by bolivianpimp
Mellon, how much did it take in $ for the car + mods to run 30-40 psi and run 10.41?
If you took a bone stock EVO and dropped it off at buschur racing and said, I want a 10 second pump gas and 9 second race gas evo made out of this car, it would set you back 25k in mods/labor. It isn't cheap to make an import fast. however, if you do your own work, I'd guess 15k...I built this over a period of 2 years as of last month and went through various turbo stages along the way until I hit the right combo so I don't really know what I spent and dont care to add it up lol.

Originally Posted by Riptide
What were the specs on that Camaro?
It's nothing special, just your average stalled/sprayed/cammed camaro...it went 10.8 @ 126 on the spray the same night I went 10.4 @ 135 on straight 93 octane...I didn't even remove the floor jack and tool box, I kind of get off on racing the car exactly how I drive it to work every day.

Quick Reply: EVO vs Camaro SS