Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

TL Type S 1 : 335i 3

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:08 AM
WRXtranceformed
5th Gear Member

Default TL Type S 1 : 335i 3

Had a few runs with my best friend in his wife's 335i tonight on the way back from my buddy's house after we all got back from the Panthers game.

First run from about 35mph, we both hit it at the same time. We stayed even until I hit VTEC and his turbos kicked in... at that point he probably put like 2 cars on me up to about 90. We honked it off again at 40mph (I was in SS mode to keep the revs up high) and I kept a .5 car lead up until about 90 when I let off. We ran once more from 40 mph and he got me by maybe a car and a half. Those cars seem to pull really hard up top, two turbos will do that to you :P

We finally got a light together, but I was behind him. The light turned green and he lit his tires up so bad, I had to keep off from smashing right into the back of him. As soon as he hooked though he was gone, I was basically playing catch up since I was off the throttle trying to not rear end him.

The 335i is an automatic as is my car. I was actually extremely impressed with how well my car held up. I think with a j-pipe (~15-20wtq) I would be a pretty good race for that car despite what the numbers on paper say.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Good run man. The Type-S has a good top end imo. I ran one at the track a few weeks ago, he trapped 103 at 13.??. All I could tell for sure was that he had some exhaust mods. I posted it on streetfire. Does your car have LSD? Whats this J pipe?
Old 09-04-2009, 01:55 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

^^ Like Stone said, those Type S's surprise me.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:25 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Nice runs. Those 335i's suffer bad with no LSD from a dig. The auto 335s are geared a little better than the manual 6spds as well.

Oh yeah, Go BUCS!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:16 AM
WRXtranceformed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
Good run man. The Type-S has a good top end imo. I ran one at the track a few weeks ago, he trapped 103 at 13.??. All I could tell for sure was that he had some exhaust mods. I posted it on streetfire. Does your car have LSD? Whats this J pipe?
Originally Posted by Stone629
Thanks Stone. The auto Type-Ss do not have a LSD, but the manual tranny ones do. TLs are weird, the headers are actually welded into or considered a part of the engine block. So you can't replace the headers. The next piece along the exhaust system is called the "j-pipe" which is surprisingly restrictive from the factory. People on the TL forums have seen literally a 12wtq increase from just swapping this out.

This is what it looks like:

Originally Posted by 83gtragtop
^^ Like Stone said, those Type S's surprise me.
Originally Posted by AmericanSpeed
Nice runs. Those 335i's suffer bad with no LSD from a dig. The auto 335s are geared a little better than the manual 6spds as well.

Oh yeah, Go BUCS!
Thanks guys Yeah I was a little surprised that I stayed with him as close as I did, I was expecting to get raped. At high speeds I pretty much had no chance, it had a ton of top end pull. From a dig though even though my car isn't the best traction getter either I think it would be a LOT closer, his car bogged and spun like crazy.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

Talking

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
This is what it looks like:

looks like a really big fishing hook with some flex pipe on it
Old 09-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
Had a few runs with my best friend in his wife's 335i tonight on the way back from my buddy's house after we all got back from the Panthers game.

First run from about 35mph, we both hit it at the same time. We stayed even until I hit VTEC and his turbos kicked in... at that point he probably put like 2 cars on me up to about 90. We honked it off again at 40mph (I was in SS mode to keep the revs up high) and I kept a .5 car lead up until about 90 when I let off. We ran once more from 40 mph and he got me by maybe a car and a half. Those cars seem to pull really hard up top, two turbos will do that to you :P

We finally got a light together, but I was behind him. The light turned green and he lit his tires up so bad, I had to keep off from smashing right into the back of him. As soon as he hooked though he was gone, I was basically playing catch up since I was off the throttle trying to not rear end him.

The 335i is an automatic as is my car. I was actually extremely impressed with how well my car held up. I think with a j-pipe (~15-20wtq) I would be a pretty good race for that car despite what the numbers on paper say.
Sounds like he didn't know how to drive it. A 335i is twin turbos (as you know) which gives them a huge torque advantage. 1500rpm to 5000rpm is a flat line, not a curve. At 35 he was in the wrong gear if he didn't pull away almost instantly considering V-tec doesn't engage until somewhere in 5500 to 6000 rpm range.

The fact he spun it really badly off the line also highlights his lack of driving skill. You can't hammer a 335i off the line or you'll do just that. You have to roll into it meaning, get off the brake, (if auto) get teh car moving then hammer it. Manual is a little different and you can feather the clutch.

Good runs nonetheless.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

Originally Posted by Derf00
Sounds like he didn't know how to drive it. A 335i is twin turbos (as you know) which gives them a huge torque advantage. 1500rpm to 5000rpm is a flat line, not a curve. At 35 he was in the wrong gear if he didn't pull away almost instantly considering V-tec doesn't engage until somewhere in 5500 to 6000 rpm range.

The fact he spun it really badly off the line also highlights his lack of driving skill. You can't hammer a 335i off the line or you'll do just that. You have to roll into it meaning, get off the brake, (if auto) get teh car moving then hammer it. Manual is a little different and you can feather the clutch.

Good runs nonetheless.
a 335i traps around 101-103MPH (auto)... an acura type S will trap at around 97-99MPH

the first race went 35-90MPH and the 335i put 2 cars on the S

sounds about right to me

it's kind of hard not to know how to drive an automatic from a roll

Last edited by Morbid Intentions; 09-04-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

No it's not You simply drop it into the gear you want. I hate the lag in an auto when you want to just go. I overcome it by selecting the gear I want manually, then when I'm happy, putting back to 'D'
Old 09-04-2009, 12:35 PM
WRXtranceformed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00

Good runs nonetheless.
Yeah he doesn't drive it very frequently because it's his wife's car, he has an 08 Suburban.

VTEC on the Type-S kicks in at about 4900rpms, so I kicked the car into tiptronic mode to keep it in the VTEC range. That's the only reason I think I was able to hang with him at all, if I had let the auto tranny downshift it would have probably put me another half car to a car behind.

Quick Reply: TL Type S 1 : 335i 3