Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

12.04 @ 117mph

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 01:50 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by perfect.disguise
They are in comparison to the Cobras. Just seem slow when the Focus SVT competes with the Srt-4/ IRL, etc of it's time. Sure the Malibu SS is slow and ugly and shouldn't have the SS but searching dragtimes they have pulled faster times than the Focus SVT. Point was GM wasn't the only one to use a higher performance trim on cheaper cars to justify making more $$$ off of it.
The Focus also competed with Civic Si's, GTI's, Sentra Spec V's, MS Protege's and did very well against them. It was also superior to the skittle in every way outside of straight line performance. I almost bought an SVT Focus a few years back. They're great cars.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:22 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I and Car and Driver magazine politely disagree with the Focus being superior to the same era SRT-4. Try to remember when C&D tested the SRT-4 against the SVT it was the 03 model with only 215HP and didn't have a limited slip diff. Dodge added 15 more HP in 04 along with a limited slip. Or you could really go nuts and order the skittle with the ACR package in 04. There's no way a SVT Focus would keep up with an 04-05 SRT-4 ACR around a race track and they would get totally embarrased at the drag strip.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 05-06-2010 at 05:25 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Or you could really go nuts and order the skittle with the ACR package in 04. There's no way a SVT Focus would keep up with an 04-05 SRT-4 ACR around a race track and they would get totally embarrased at the drag strip.
isn't the ACR package just some suspension gimmicks, wider tires and badges?

I could have swore they ran exactly the same 1/4 mile times as the regular SRT4's of the same year... at least from what I remember when they came out....
Old 05-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

Originally Posted by perfect.disguise
They are in comparison to the Cobras. Just seem slow when the Focus SVT competes with the Srt-4/ IRL, etc of it's time. Sure the Malibu SS is slow and ugly and shouldn't have the SS but searching dragtimes they have pulled faster times than the Focus SVT. Point was GM wasn't the only one to use a higher performance trim on cheaper cars to justify making more $$$ off of it.
yet my brassy grandma gold lincoln pulls almost a half a second faster and traps 6-7MPH faster

the focus was made with a road course in mind BTW.... not to start an argument but a focus SVT on a twisty track is a force to be reckoned with considering it's competition in the years it was produced

I mean come on... the damn thing pulls .91 G's on the skidpad stock... compared to the SRT4's .85 G's

Last edited by Morbid Intentions; 05-06-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:39 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

hey guyz... the new mustang went 12.0 @117 with a drop in filter, an X pipe, a tune and some sticky tires... Discuss!

I wonder when parts will start coming out made for it? would love to see what some new intake and exhaust configurations.. i shudder to think of cams though..how much you think 4 cams would cost? 2 grand? better be worth it

I'm also curious about gears now.. GeneK did a lot of research and was saying you dont want more than 3.31s in there i believe.. or was it 3.55s? i'll have to go dig that up now.. i thnk he ordered a 3.73 then had to fight to get it brought back to a 3.55...
Old 05-06-2010, 11:55 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
I and Car and Driver magazine politely disagree with the Focus being superior to the same era SRT-4. Try to remember when C&D tested the SRT-4 against the SVT it was the 03 model with only 215HP and didn't have a limited slip diff. Dodge added 15 more HP in 04 along with a limited slip. Or you could really go nuts and order the skittle with the ACR package in 04. There's no way a SVT Focus would keep up with an 04-05 SRT-4 ACR around a race track and they would get totally embarrased at the drag strip.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
Yes but if you read the article, you would see that for the most part, they gave that comparison to the SRT because it was so much faster than it's competition. A fact that I concieded in my previous post. They didn't say it handled better, had a nicer interior, had better steering feedback, was more comfortable, or was as well put together.

This comparison is much like comparing a modern day GTI to a Cobalt SS/TC.

Last edited by 83gtragtop; 05-06-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
hey guyz... the new mustang went 12.0 @117 with a drop in filter, an X pipe, a tune and some sticky tires... Discuss!

I wonder when parts will start coming out made for it? would love to see what some new intake and exhaust configurations.. i shudder to think of cams though..how much you think 4 cams would cost? 2 grand? better be worth it

I'm also curious about gears now.. GeneK did a lot of research and was saying you dont want more than 3.31s in there i believe.. or was it 3.55s? i'll have to go dig that up now.. i thnk he ordered a 3.73 then had to fight to get it brought back to a 3.55...
Yeah, it is indeed impressive.

Ford finally did a GT right. Although, that is very expensive for just 12's. Beautiful car, nice motor, trans, rear, etc. But, @ 40K, the options of owning a car that is just as nice, fast, etc. is near limitless.

4 Cams are not that expensive. I priced out some Cams for my 03 Cobra, and they were 14 bucks for all four with springs, etc.

I didn't buy them just because it was for ****s and giggles. Altough, a guy with the cams I wanted, a 2.76 pulley, bigger injectors, mid-pipe, cat-back and tune, no port, made 519 RWHP and 531 RWTQ. That is a huge gain for just Cams and a retune for the Cams.

I think with some more mods, this car will hit 11's. Although, a lot of people don't pay attention to this but, Lethal "Tweeked" the suspension, and didn't just add UCA's and LCA's. They dialed the suspension in for drag racing, which is decent work in itself to do.

I'd be curious to see if this car can run that time @ it's current power level without 15inch slicks and skinnies, and tuned suspension. Run stock suspension, with the Control arms, run DR's, not Slicks on the Factory wheels, and a couple of bolt-ons. I doubt it will happen, just something I like to see.

I give respect to cars that have weight reduction, etc. but, it's more commendable when a similar powered car, with full weight, less mods, etc. and doesn't have the suspension and slicks to go with it, runs similar times.

That says something about the driver, car, etc.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

So basically. GM will update the Camaro in a couple years and it will be faster than the 5.0 GT again. Ford will sit on their *** for another 10 years before they doing anything about it.

Mishri, who just spent 35K on his "new" 5.0 two years before, will be pissed because he's getting raped by stock Camaros that cost less money.

Amirite?
Old 05-06-2010, 02:46 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grabber
But, @ 40K, the options of owning a car that is just as nice, fast, etc. is near limitless.
Anyone who loads this car up and pays $40k is an idiot.

Originally Posted by Grabber
Although, a lot of people don't pay attention to this but, Lethal "Tweeked" the suspension, and didn't just add UCA's and LCA's. They dialed the suspension in for drag racing, which is decent work in itself to do.

I'd be curious to see if this car can run that time @ it's current power level without 15inch slicks and skinnies, and tuned suspension. Run stock suspension, with the Control arms, run DR's, not Slicks on the Factory wheels, and a couple of bolt-ons. I doubt it will happen, just something I like to see.
Yet they still only managed 1.7' '60 times. Given the trap, this is a 11 second car and given the suspension/tire mods, this car should be in the bottom 1.60's with an experienced driver.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Hey guys! Its been a few years since Ive posted anything here... Im wondering the same as Riptide. I know its always a battle between car companys but how long will Ford retain the Crown in the stock vs. Stock dept? As my sig says my 06 was stolen. Just to be found a few months later gutted out............I am now looking again at this new 5.0. I like the engine but am concearned with the rest of the driveline. The s197's were amazing in everything really. You could tweak the motors up to 500-550 FWHP & just do a few suspension upgrades & you were running mid t high 11s.I ran stock tranny as well. The cars were tough & rugged! What kind of immediate mods are gonna be needed right away once you add another additional 100HP? Im gonna sit back for a bit & observe..Just like I did when the s197 came out in 2005. I look forward to seeing what breaks & what doesnt break when people start modding.

Originally Posted by Riptide
So basically. GM will update the Camaro in a couple years and it will be faster than the 5.0 GT again. Ford will sit on their *** for another 10 years before they doing anything about it.

Mishri, who just spent 35K on his "new" 5.0 two years before, will be pissed because he's getting raped by stock Camaros that cost less money.

Amirite?

Quick Reply: 12.04 @ 117mph