Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Me vs. SN95 vs older Camaro

Old 08-13-2010, 08:45 PM
1.5LofFury
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
It really sounded like a V8 - but it was a rust bucket WIP like I said. Perhaps it was a V6 and the exhaust was rusted out? I would have thought I would walked all over an older Camaro V6 rust bucket though - if you figure that with age and the obvious fact the car wasn't taken car of and is just now being re-done I fugre that a car like that would lose quite a bit of it's get-up-and-go factor. I recently sold my old '97 Mazda 626 to my friend and I timed it - the car does ZERO to 60 in 21 seconds. It was a rust bucket, and clearly it lost a lot of horsepower over the years... This guy at least kept up decently which is what made me think it was a V8. But heck I know nothing about them Camaro's so if you all say it's a sixxer then that's probably what it was. Is there anyway to visually tell the difference between a V6 and a V8 on those cars?
not consistently but the badges on the side of the car. if it's a v6 it won't have one or will just say "Camaro" V8's all say either "Z28", "SS", or "SS by SLP." and just because a car is old and has high mileage doesn't mean anything.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:04 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

It really sounded like a V8 - but it was a rust bucket WIP like I said. Perhaps it was a V6 and the exhaust was rusted out? I would have thought I would walked all over an older Camaro V6 rust bucket though - if you figure that with age and the obvious fact the car wasn't taken car of and is just now being re-done I fugre that a car like that would lose quite a bit of it's get-up-and-go factor. I recently sold my old '97 Mazda 626 to my friend and I timed it - the car does ZERO to 60 in 21 seconds. It was a rust bucket, and clearly it lost a lot of horsepower over the years... This guy at least kept up decently which is what made me think it was a V8. But heck I know nothing about them Camaro's so if you all say it's a sixxer then that's probably what it was. Is there anyway to visually tell the difference between a V6 and a V8 on those cars?
If it was a V8 it would be an LS1 and that would mean it's making 350-370hp stock. It would have to be way down on power to lose to a slightly modded 4.0L. The V6 Camaro's from that generation had 200hp and weighed less than an S197, so I'd say it's probably a V6 based on your results.

Last edited by lizzyfan; 08-15-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:39 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I read that and said yeah...cool. Then I saw you have a V6..hmmm.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:35 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1.5LofFury
not consistently but the badges on the side of the car. if it's a v6 it won't have one or will just say "Camaro" V8's all say either "Z28", "SS", or "SS by SLP." and just because a car is old and has high mileage doesn't mean anything.
AHH! I see - I didn't know that all V8 Camaro's said SS or Z28. I thought that the SS model was like the "high end V8"... like V6, V8, then SS, Z28, etc... Definitely was a V6 then.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:53 AM
TommyV8
5th Gear Member

if you figure that with age and the obvious fact the car wasn't taken car of and is just now being re-done I fugre that a car like that would lose quite a bit of it's get-up-and-go factor.
My car just turned over 200k last week and I use Fram oil filters. Wanna line 'em up?
Old 08-15-2010, 04:14 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TommyV8
My car just turned over 200k last week and I use Fram oil filters. Wanna line 'em up?
Heck no! Pretty sure you'll kill me haha. Taking care of a car right (oil changes on time, proper maintenance, etc.) will obviously keep a car going how it should regardless of mileage, but when you see a car thats rusted out and in horrible shape I'd say in most cases the engine looks the same... until you run into some rusted out civic that's a sleeper. heh
Old 08-15-2010, 08:33 PM
1.5LofFury
4th Gear Member

Heck no! Pretty sure you'll kill me haha. Taking care of a car right (oil changes on time, proper maintenance, etc.) will obviously keep a car going how it should regardless of mileage, but when you see a car thats rusted out and in horrible shape I'd say in most cases the engine looks the same... until you run into some rusted out civic that's a sleeper. heh
then my old LT1 shouldn't be any problem for you, it's only running on 7 lol