Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

SS/SC Vs C5 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Default SS/SC Vs C5 Vette

Basically, I'm headed to Wilmington this morning to visit my grandmother, and on the way I was cruising behind a convertible manual C5 Vette with a nice looking/sounding cat-back. Looked like SLP tips imo. We have about 65 miles of straight line interstate and very few cars, so it was a good place to mess around. So he is in front of me and out of nowhere takes off leaving me in his dust. I eventually catch back up and start to creep up his right side. Once I had my front tires midway up his door, I downshift to 3rd and hold my speed. He does the same, but doesn't ever give me a chance to get fully lined up with him. The whole time I'm thinking this is going to be ugly. So we are both down shifted and he takes the hit, with me still a nose behind. There was only a fraction of second difference between him and I going WOT, so it was all good. This all starts off at about 65mph. So we take off and right away I pull even with him. My guess is I must of just been at a higher RPM than him from the get go to jump like that. We stay dead even for several seconds, but he ends up pinging off the rev limit at about 100mph, resulting in me gaining a few feet. As we continue past 100 mph, he slowly puts my front bumper at his rear tires. We shut it down at 120 mph. I got beside him and gave him a thumbs up, and slowed my *** down

Here's my confusion. I know a manual C5 is good for a 109 or 110 mph trap speed. The average driver probably runs 107-108, but this guy was squeezing everything he had out of that Vette. I've only trapped a best of 104, although that was done through a clutch slipping through 2nd and 3rd gears. I don't know if simply starting from a roll where I don't have to worry as much about clutch slip makes that much difference or what. In other words, I feel like that Vette should've put more like 2 cars on me at least. It was chilly yesterday morning and I've done an intake since the last time I went to the track, so I'm probably good for a 106 mph trap as it sits, but still.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:25 PM
tspence45
4th Gear Member

I think maybe you just started in a better spot than him. He could've dropped it down to 2nd at 65, but probably only went to 3rd. Definately a nice run though. Has to feel good staying right next to an LS1 Vette in a Cobalt. I bet the guy in the Vette wasn't expecting it to happen.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

That sounds about right, Spence. He held whatever gear he was in (had to of been 3rd) until 100 mph, give or take a few Mph. He touched the rev limiter and when he shifted that second time he pretty much started getting away from me.

It did feel pretty damn good, lol
Old 10-17-2010, 02:00 PM
perfect.disguise
5th Gear Member

IDK, I drove your car before a lot of your recent mods and it was pretty strong. I don't see it having a problem hanging with the Vette if it started low in it's power band.A stock one shouldn't be thhat much faster.

Last edited by perfect.disguise; 10-17-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Its definitely gotten a few ticks quicker with the extra mods. I may get it re-tuned soon, like within the next week or so. I'm getting more and more black smoke/soot as the weather gets cooler. I looked in my rear view while running this guy and my car was blowing so much black smoke, I could see it trailing behind me. Called Creech and he said may need to cut back on the fuel some. I'm thinking the same thing.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:17 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

That or up the boost more.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:34 PM
perfect.disguise
5th Gear Member

Meth/2.7 or keep the 2.8 and do a 75-80 shot if you really want to bump up the power.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:50 AM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Anything can happen on the street.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:35 AM
ZeroIngold
2nd Gear Member

And you guys call bs on me for some of my races. The street is the street and anything can happen best bet hes in third, plus your and pretty good driver.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:20 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Nice run Stone....Would have loved to see that guys face..