Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Hyundai Sonata!!?? Close call.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:07 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Default Hyundai Sonata!!?? Close call.

So I was on my way home from a late class today, and came to a red light. The intersection was really deserted, and the roads were salted to death--but back on topic, the only other car was behind me from the parking garage back at campus, and he pulled up to me, and after he revved a few times the light turned green and I took off.. I thought it would be an easy win,..cause well, its a sonata and in the beginning he fell back, but then caught up around 20-40(?) seconds later, and almost passed me, and although I beat him to the next light where I ended it, I was still shaken that it was even that close.
So, are most sonatas this fast, or do you guys think it was modded or what(or do you think my stang is too slow lol)? Cause it was REAL close, or am I mis-informed about something? Thanks a bunch guys!
PS, couldnt really tell what year or whatever it was, cause it was dark, and I never got a view of his rear end, so sorry for the vagueness.

Last edited by aaquib1992; 12-14-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Mr. E
Banned

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
So I was on my way home from a late class today, and came to a red light. The intersection was really deserted, and the roads were salted to death--but back on topic, the only other car was behind me from the parking garage back at campus, and he pulled up to me, and after he revved a few times the light turned green and I took off.. I thought it would be an easy win,..cause well, its a sonata and in the beginning he fell back, but then caught up around 20-40(?) seconds later, and almost passed me, and although I beat him to the next light where I ended it, I was still shaken that it was even that close.
So, are most sonatas this fast, or do you guys think it was modded or what(or do you think my stang is too slow lol)? Cause it was REAL close, or am I mis-informed about something? Thanks a bunch guys!
PS, couldnt really tell what year or whatever it was, cause it was dark, and I never got a view of his rear end, so sorry for the vagueness.
Its not a real race if he was behind you according to most the people on here. You have to slow down, wait for them to get alongside you and honk 3 times or else you are ricer racing. Because this is what everyone does while stoplight racing right? Anyways, the V6 Sonatas make pretty decent power 249hp/230tq and the new turbo 4 banger isnt too bad either.

Last edited by Mr. E; 12-14-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:07 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. E
Its not a real race if he was behind you according to most the people on here. You have to slow down, wait for them to get alongside you and honk 3 times or else you are ricer racing. Because this is what everyone does while stoplight racing right?
Oh, sorry I was in a rush while typing and wasnt clear. He pulled up beside me and revved, and I took that as a sign to floor it, and from his exhaust note(barely heard it over mine) he was also pushing it. But we left the light at the same time, and both were next to each other. (it was a 3 lane road not including turning lanes).
Hope that clarified, sorry for confusion! And thanks.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Mr. E
Banned

Oh, sorry I was in a rush while typing and wasnt clear. He pulled up beside me and revved, and I took that as a sign to floor it, and from his exhaust note(barely heard it over mine) he was also pushing it. But we left the light at the same time, and both were next to each other. (it was a 3 lane road not including turning lanes).
Hope that clarified, sorry for confusion! And thanks.
Sounds good to me but when I posted similar accounts, people were saying that he let off or wasnt racing to begin with eventhough he revved on me too. What mods do you have done? The V6 Sonata is a low 15 second car.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

The newer ones are pretty decent cars. I doubt he was modded. Not even sure if there is an aftermarket for the newest ones yet. Don't feel bad man, technology is going to surpass all of our piles, just gotta keep modding to keep up. Good run.

Mr. E, stfu man.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:19 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Sounds good to me but when I posted similar accounts, people were saying that he let off or wasnt racing to begin with eventhough he revved on me too. What mods do you have done? The V6 Sonata is a low 15 second car.
Whoa, did NOT know they packaged those with anything biggger than a 4... This is new info to me, thanks. Up until this weekend, I didnt have ANY mods on it(just got it lol) but over the weekend I got a CAI, and next week im getting a tune possibly when I get my snow tires put on. So, not really any noticeable oomph has been added yet.
Also, they made the sonatas with a TURBO??! I need to read up some more lol, since when did hyundai start making desirable cars? haha, jk.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:19 PM
perfect.disguise
5th Gear Member

He is not claiming to pull 6 lengths on a faster car in like a 60mph span..
Old 12-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Also, they made the sonatas with a TURBO??! I need to read up some more lol, since when did hyundai start making desirable cars? haha, jk.
Genesis Coupe 2.0 turbo
Sonata also comes with a 27x hp turbo as an option now

Desirable... check out the V8 Genesis as well as the 3.8 liter Genesis coupe.... they have come a long way in the past couple years. Not crazy fast or anything, but decent.

Originally Posted by perfect.disguise
He is not claiming to pull 6 lengths on a faster car in like a 60mph span..
This^^^
Old 12-14-2010, 10:53 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=Stone629;7333757]Genesis Coupe 2.0 turbo
Sonata also comes with a 27x hp turbo as an option now

Desirable... check out the V8 Genesis as well as the 3.8 liter Genesis coupe.... they have come a long way in the past couple years. Not crazy fast or anything, but decent.

Looked up the genesis, whoa they make a track version! When did hyundia get serious about sports cars?? Im still stuck in the days of 3 door accents lol.. That genesis looks like serious business in the right trim package though, ill have to keep a closer eye on them from now on.
Thanks stone629, I was thoroughly shocked when I looked in my rear-view and saw him instead close on my right shoulder!
Old 12-15-2010, 05:16 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Its not a real race if he was behind you according to most the people on here. You have to slow down, wait for them to get alongside you and honk 3 times or else you are ricer racing. Because this is what everyone does while stoplight racing right? Anyways, the V6 Sonatas make pretty decent power 249hp/230tq and the new turbo 4 banger isnt too bad either.
You really might wanna let it go. The thread you keep refering to was the most stupid thread off all time in this section. Do you really want to keep reminding everyone of it?

Quick Reply: Hyundai Sonata!!?? Close call.