Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

one more try

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 03:44 AM
buster
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 94Blk5.0
Depends, if they are restricting enough fuel flow, you will feel a difference. These cars will need a new one every 15K miles or so. I am will be tossing a new one on mine this week after I run some fuel system cleaner through this tank of gas.

I picked my '94 up 5 years ago with 123K on it, and there are a few of things to do to make sure they are running well.. A fresh cap and rotor will do you some good if yours is showing wear. The fuel filter as mentioned. It is also a good idea to clean the MAF senor filaments, and the throttle body. You also may want to check that the blade in the throttle body open all the way with the pedal on the floor... Things like trans fluid and gear oil needs to be checked, if not changed too. You could advance the timing a few degrees if you don't mind running high octane gas. The list goes on haha.
cap and rotor should be done too. I bet it still has the original fuel filter, the guy I bought it from didn't have a clue how to maintain a car.

Advice much appreciated.....I drive a truck and was down in Greenville SC a few years ago. It was like 40 degrees out. I was in a sweatshirt and they were in snow suits. They were all looking at me like, "Stupid Canadian." lol
Old 05-16-2011, 12:36 PM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

^ Any time.

You ought to see them when it acutally snows haha
Old 05-17-2011, 05:00 AM
buster
4th Gear Member

Oh jeez, I can see em dealing with that. I want to get out on the track this weekend but i have been roped into going camping with the extended family for the holiday weekend. Maybe I can sneek off to Grand Bend and make a few passes.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:55 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

my brother just bought a '95 GT with an intake (a real one I suppose) and a flowmaster exhaust.

Now I know what to tell him his car is probably going to run lol
Old 05-17-2011, 03:00 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT
my brother just bought a '95 GT with an intake (a real one I suppose) and a flowmaster exhaust.

Now I know what to tell him his car is probably going to run lol
My time had rusty spark plugs and old wires.....I'm hoping for a high 14 now
Old 05-19-2011, 09:40 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

I dunno, first gear in his car feels pretty weak...
Old 05-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I would advance the timing. Just turn the rotor (talking an inch or so) until you hear knock, then back it off a tad. Make sure you have 93 or whatever the highest octane fuel in you area is, in the tank when you do it. It will make a difference. Plugs, wires, filters, etc, are all just general maintenance. Lack of general maintenance will make your car run like ****, as 94 stated.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:28 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

Well, just got back from Milan. I got one run in and I shut it down, I wasn't sure what I was feeling with a bit of shudder going down the track.
Second run, I was trying to do my dry hops and could hardly spin the tires. Guess it's time for a clutch. So I backed up and went down the emergency road and parked it rather than pooch it and have to tow it across an international border.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:32 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
I would advance the timing. Just turn the rotor (talking an inch or so) until you hear knock, then back it off a tad. Make sure you have 93 or whatever the highest octane fuel in you area is, in the tank when you do it. It will make a difference. Plugs, wires, filters, etc, are all just general maintenance. Lack of general maintenance will make your car run like ****, as 94 stated.
I think that the timing is already advanced. It knocks under hard acceleration as it is with 87 octane. I have access to 94 octane. Although, in Milan I could get 110. Although its $7.45 a gallon.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:25 PM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

^ These cars are known "pingers." Did you use platinum spark plugs by chance? Also a dirty MAF senor can be a contributor as the A/F ratio would off. If you are interested you could run "Seafoam it" (google it) to help remove carbon deposits just make sure to unhook the AIR injection for the cats if you are running a aftermarket catted midpipe, and run some fuel system cleaner through the gas. Personally, I would only do the Seafoam and the fuel system cleaner shorlty before an oil change.

If you plan on keeping the ca awhile, you may want to buy a Ford OBDI code digital code reader. They are about $30 in auto parts store around here... Hook it up periodically to see if everything is good to go, as not all codes with throw a CEL.