Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

LS1 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:00 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Default LS1 Camaro

A late 90's-early 00's black LS1 Camaro vert flew by me when I was caught up in traffic. It looked and sounded great.

The traffic cleared, and we lined up at the next light. His engine's loping idle definitely indicated it's cammed. I knew I would have my hands full, but I thought WTH. I pointed ahead, and he nodded. Slipped the clutch at 3000 rpm when the light turned green. Tires spun for a few feet before grabbing traction, and my 05 manual GT(CAI/93 Race tune) took off like a bat out of hell. Speed shifted into 2nd at 6200 rpm. Gave a quick look to my left, and there was no sign of the Camaro. I glanced in my side view mirror, and he was a few car lengths behind. Huh? Did I catch him napping? Did he have traction problems?

Whatever. I was winning. Speed shifted into 3rd at 6200 rpm, and here he comes like a freight train. We shut it down at 90 due to upcoming traffic with him 1-2 car lengths ahead.

Stopped next to him in traffic at the next light, and asked if it was cammed. He said yes. Gave him a thumbs up, told him good race, and said his ride looked real sharp and sounded great. He just nodded, gave my car a long look, and took off when the light turned green. His reaction told me he was totally surprised by the big lead I had on him thru 1st and 2nd.

Fun race.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

yeah, either he didn't expect a race or he has major traction issues.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:47 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

So basically you had a couple car lengths on him from the get go, and then he had a couple on you by 90 mph? If that's right, he REALLY had to be coming on hard to make up that much difference by only 90 mph. I mean that's a lot of distance to make up in that short of a time.

I bet it was fun though lol.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:57 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
yeah, either he didn't expect a race or he has major traction issues.
He definitely knew a race was on => "I pointed ahead, and he nodded."
I'm guessing he either had traction problems, or he was distracted.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:05 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
So basically you had a couple car lengths on him from the get go, and then he had a couple on you by 90 mph? If that's right, he REALLY had to be coming on hard to make up that much difference by only 90 mph. I mean that's a lot of distance to make up in that short of a time.
He went WOT for a second or 2 before we got to the stoplight, and I could tell his car was a beast by the way it accelerated. It shocked the heck out of me that I was that far ahead half way thru 2nd. But he caught up like I was standing still.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Good run, Ski. He was probably pedaling it trying not to break loose, and really laid into it once he knew he was good. Nice driving though, sounds like you've got that launch down pretty well.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:57 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Thanks, Stone.

I credit the new Pirelli's for improving my launches. I had a lot of wheel hop with the OEM Pirelli's, even right off the dealership floor. The new ones lay it down smooth and straight, which makes launching much easier. Pirelli claims the new ones have a different tread design, and improved rubber compound. Whatever. It's working for me!
Old 05-26-2011, 02:58 PM
JT76

I have never heard pirelli and hooking used together lol
Old 05-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JT76
I have never heard pirelli and hooking used together lol
AGREED!!! But hey if he got a good set than thats all good for him. Ive never seen any Pirellis hook.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

very nice.. Chevy really got it right with those LS1 engines..

Quick Reply: LS1 Camaro