Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

3.7 vs 07 GT

Old 05-28-2011, 06:07 PM
lostnight
2nd Gear Member

Default 3.7 vs 07 GT

One of my friends at work has a black '07 GT, manual transmission, with a CAI. I think the CAI is a Roush if they make one, or a Steeda, I forget. Other than that I think it is pretty much stock. My 3.7 is stock except for a Bama 93 Performance tune.

We talk about cars at work a lot, but have never run these cars against each other before. He did put a hurting on me once when I had my 4.0, but that was to be expected. He used to have a purple GT, forget the year, but mid to late 90s. My 4.0 did a lot better against that one but still lost.

Anyway, after work today, he left right before I did, and knowing the traffic around us was much lighter on Saturdays, I followed him. I passed him just to see if he would take the bait. He did, and we got a red light together. We both looked around, all was clear. When the light turned green, he got on it a little harder than me, laying some rubber, aand getting his whole hood in front of me. Once I had my car floored, he stopped gaining on me, and I pulled even. Eventually my nose was slipping by his a little, but we then slowed down, there were cars up ahead at the next light, neither of us will race around traffic. I have no idea the speeds we reached, I was just concentrating on the road and watching my surroundings. It was probably a 10-12 second race.

We pulled even, had our windows open, we were both laughing, he yelled "that was awesome!", and then we both went home our seperate ways. It was a fun little way to blow off steam after a tough week at work, and will give us something new to talk about at work. I don't go back until Wednesday though. I do most of my racing at the track, but it's hard to get him to go out there. This Thursday I'll be back at Kil-kare for test-&-tune, it's been rained out lately, but this week looks promising.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:19 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

Good run buddy! I wonder if you would have kept pulling at higher speeds? Im not too sure about the 3v's topend power....

Ive been wondering how I would matchup against an s197.... with my current stock 2.73 form Id probably take the loss, but it'd be a decent race!
Old 05-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

That GT needs to get tuned! Excellent run though, Lost. Was there a night and day difference after the Bama tune?
Old 05-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

If you ran a stock New Edge GT I wouldn't be surprised but a S197 makes me say huum....
Old 05-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I think his tune is the catch.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:03 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
If you ran a stock New Edge GT I wouldn't be surprised but a S197 makes me say huum....
Doesn't really surprise me. With his stock gearing, he has an extremely big advantage in the gearing department and is probably putting down close to the same amount of rwhp with a little less weight. This video shows how the 6-speed really helps up top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTvs2z9nCPQ

Last edited by 83gtragtop; 05-28-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:57 PM
lostnight
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 97tplsGT
Good run buddy! I wonder if you would have kept pulling at higher speeds? Im not too sure about the 3v's topend power....

Ive been wondering how I would matchup against an s197.... with my current stock 2.73 form Id probably take the loss, but it'd be a decent race!
The 2.73s have ran similar times to the 3.31s from what I've seen, so you never know.

Originally Posted by Stone629
That GT needs to get tuned! Excellent run though, Lost. Was there a night and day difference after the Bama tune?
My coworker Ken is very meticulous about his cars. He is much more mechanically inclined than me, and is **** about his car's condition. His interior looks new, and it's a 2007. Mine is a 2011, and has that lived in look I hate to say. Not any trash in there, but my detailing needs a lot of work.

The Bama tune makes a huge difference. I just got it early this month and ran my car at the Buckeye Brawl V in Thompson Ohio this May 13th. We had unlimited runs. I ran with the 93 Performance and Race tunes,. Then I ran with a stock tune, same track, same day, and was .05 slower. Trap speed was also 2.5-3.5 slower I think. I have timeslips if you want to see. It was hot and humid that day, everyone was a half second off, so hopefully this Thursday I will be able to run at Kil-kare and finally get 13s, it should easily get in there.

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
I did race an S197 last October, not sure what year. Probably close to a 2007. I was totally stock, no tune, and had a similar result in that race. He had a slightly faster ET in that race, but I was definetly pulling on him and crossed the finish line just barely ahead. I am on the left.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:40 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
I think his tune is the catch.
+1
The GT and the V6 have similar curb weights.
The GT's higher torque gave it a momentary lead from a dig.
The V6's 93 tune produces higher hp than a stock GT in the upper rpm's, which allowed it to pull around the GT at a higher speed.

lostnight,
Nice kills!

Last edited by ski; 05-29-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Sounds good my man..So what your future mod plans??
Old 05-29-2011, 10:35 AM
lostnight
2nd Gear Member

Probably not speedwise for a while. I do want an axleback exhaust, probably Roush or MRT. Then some 18s, I'm thinking black or dark gray. Perhaps a wider footprint. I'd like to get the windows tinted. Then after all that a CAI.

I can't really afford to go too nuts with mods like headers, full exhaust, FI, or anything. I live by myself, have a house payment, house maintenance, dirtbike, dog, 11 aquariums, etc, stuff that really stretches out my paycheck. So I just try to do a little bit here and there on the Mustang.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3.7 vs 07 GT